What is a Force? - Exploring the Meaning

• Thread starter eranb2
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force
In summary, the conversation discusses the multiple meanings of the word "force", including its use in physics and in everyday language. The OP also mentions the use of existing words in scientific naming.
eranb2
Hi

When reading about forces I see two things.

1. forces that act or do something.

2. force as something that has power, like god, god is a force, or, an army is a force, or, police force.

the "one" that acts has the same name as the act itself "force".

Why is that?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi.

This is not really a physics question. The answer to your question is, "because the word force has multiple meanings in English."

New Oxford American Dictionary said:
|fɔrs|
noun
1 strength or energy as an attribute of physical action or movement : he was thrown backward by the force of the explosion.
• Physics an influence tending to change the motion of a body or produce motion or stress in a stationary body. The magnitude of such an influence is often calculated by multiplying the mass of the body by its acceleration.
• a person or thing regarded as exerting power or influence : he might still be a force for peace and unity.
• [in combination ] used with a number as a measure of wind strength on the Beaufort scale : a force-nine gale.
2 coercion or compulsion, esp. with the use or threat of violence : they ruled by law and not by force.
3 mental or moral strength or power : the force of popular opinion.
• the state of being in effect or valid : the law came into force in January.
• the powerful effect of something : the force of her writing is undiminished.
4 an organized body of military personnel or police : a soldier in a UN peacekeeping force.
• ( forces) troops and weaponry : concealment from enemy forces | figurative a battle between the forces of good and evil.
• a group of people brought together and organized for a particular activity : a sales force.
• (the force) informal a police department.
5 Baseball a force out.
• a situation in which a force out is possible.

I hope this helps.

eranb2 said:
… 2. force as something that has power, like god, god is a force, or, an army is a force, or, police force.

Hi eranb2! :smile:

Each of those examples can also be called a power.

But force and power have different meanings in physics.

(Similarly, stress and strain have essentially the same meaning in ordinary English, but different meanings in physics.)

The simple fact is that scientists naming something prefer to use an existing word, rather than invent one like chortle or wabe. :rolleyes:

tiny-tim said:
scientists naming something prefer to use an existing word, rather than invent one
Of course, there are exceptions, like "quark". But yes, I agree with you and cepheid

DaleSpam said:
Of course, there are exceptions, like "quark". But yes, I agree with you and cepheid

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quark_(cheese [Broken])

quark is a type of cheese. I think this is incidental though.

Last edited by a moderator:
flatmaster said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quark_(cheese [Broken])

quark is a type of cheese. I think this is incidental though.

so does this mean everything is made of cheese?

I don't understand

:D

Last edited by a moderator:
The point is that the OP is using words that have different meanings in different contexts. But this is "Physics Forums", so the relevant context is the scientific one. In that context, most of what the OP said is just gibberish.

Thread locked.

What is a Force?

A force is a push or pull that can cause an object to accelerate or change its motion.

How is force measured?

Force is measured in units called Newtons (N) using a tool called a spring scale or force meter.

What are some examples of forces?

Examples of forces include gravity, friction, magnetism, and applied forces such as pushing or pulling an object.

What is the difference between mass and weight?

Mass is the amount of matter in an object and is measured in grams (g) or kilograms (kg). Weight is the gravitational force exerted on an object and is measured in Newtons (N).

How do forces interact with each other?

Forces can interact with each other in different ways, such as cancelling each other out or combining to produce a net force. This is known as the principle of superposition.