What is the value of my 1898 copy of Advanced Arithmetic by Wentworth?

• Thread starter Shackleford
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Books
In summary, a friend's parents moved out of their house and gave away 17 boxes of random books. Among them were some very old books, including one from 1920 on Eugenics and the oldest one found, Advanced Arithmetic by Wentworth from 1898. The condition of the oldest book is remarkable for its age and the speaker wants to determine its possible value, as well as the value of the other old books. Suggestions for finding this information include seeking out an antiquarian who specializes in used books or checking websites such as the Antiquarian Booksellers' Association of America and the American Antiquarian Society. The value of the books will depend on factors such as the author's notoriety and demand, with
Shackleford
One of my best friend's parents moved out of their house today. They gave 17 boxes full of random books. I've found some very old books so far. There's also one on Eugenics from 1920. I just stumbled across the oldest one: Advanced Arithmetic by Wentworth 1898. It's in remarkable condition for its age. I want to find out its possible value and the value of the other old books. Have any ideas? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
You'd have to find an antiquarian who specializes in used books.

Maybe try - Antiquarian Booksellers' Association of American - http://www.abaa.org/

American Antiquarian Society - http://www.americanantiquarian.org/

The value depends on the notoriety, fame or infamy of the author, and the quantity still in existence - and of course, demand.

You could look on e-bay, I suppose. How many of these books are first editions? I think they're more valuable, usually.

At abebooks.com, the original in good condition is laid out for sale at 55 dollars, in fair condition, 4 dollars.

Apparently, this book has recently been reprinted by Kessinger publishing.

1. What should I do with the old books I found?

If the books are in good condition, you can donate them to a library or charity organization. If they are valuable or rare, you can consider selling them to a collector or a used book store. Otherwise, you can keep them for personal reading or decoration.

2. How can I preserve the old books I found?

To preserve the books, keep them in a cool and dry place away from direct sunlight. Avoid exposing them to extreme temperatures or humidity. Use bookends to support them on the shelf and handle them with clean and dry hands to prevent damage.

3. How can I tell if the old books I found have any value?

The value of a book depends on many factors such as its age, rarity, condition, and demand. You can do some research online or consult a book appraiser to determine the value of your books. Keep in mind that not all old books are valuable.

4. Can I sell the old books I found online?

Yes, you can sell them online through websites such as eBay, Amazon, or specialized book selling platforms like AbeBooks and Alibris. Make sure to accurately describe the condition of the books and include clear photos to attract potential buyers.

5. How can I properly clean the old books I found?

To clean the books, use a soft brush or cloth to remove any dust or debris from the covers and pages. You can also use a small amount of mild soap and water to gently wipe the covers and pages. Avoid using harsh chemicals or excessive water, as they can damage the books.