Calculating Current With Capacitor

Does that suggest anything? In summary, to calculate the current flowing when a 4 uF capacitor is connected across a 240V 50 Hz supply, use the formula XC = 1/(2πfC) to find the reactance XC, which in this case is 796.178 Volts/Amps. Then, use Ohm's Law (V=IR) to calculate the current, which is equal to the voltage (240V) divided by the reactance (796.178V/A), resulting in a current of approximately 0.301 Amperes.
licklecee

Homework Statement

c) Calculate the current flowing when a 4 uF capacitor is connected across 240V 50 Hz supply ?

Homework Equations

XC = 1/(2πfC)

The Attempt at a Solution

XC = 1/(2πfC)
XC = 1/(2π 50*0.000004)
XC = 1/(2π* 0.0002)
XC = 1/(6.28* 0.0002)
XC = 1/ 0.001256
XC = 0.001256

I'm not sure if this is correct. I would appreciate it if anyone could help me out. Thanks in advance !

Physics news on Phys.org
licklecee said:

Homework Statement

c) Calculate the current flowing when a 4 uF capacitor is connected across 240V 50 Hz supply ?

Homework Equations

XC = 1/(2πfC)

The Attempt at a Solution

XC = 1/(2πfC)
XC = 1/(2π 50*0.000004)
XC = 1/(2π* 0.0002)
XC = 1/(6.28* 0.0002)
XC = 1/ 0.001256
Good so far.
XC = 0.001256
Nope. Do you see the error?

XC = 1/0.001256 = ______ ?​

Once you have the reactance XC, you still need to find the current as asked for.

Ahh okay thank you !,

So Xc = 796.178

Now i know the reactance how i can get the current ? i haven't been able to find a formulae for it.

Thank you in advance !

Here is a hint: the units of XC are Volts/Amps.

1. How do you calculate the current with a capacitor?

To calculate the current with a capacitor, you will need to use the formula I = C * dV/dt, where I is the current in amperes, C is the capacitance in farads, and dV/dt is the rate of change of voltage over time in volts per second.

2. What is the role of a capacitor in an electrical circuit?

A capacitor is an electronic component that is used to store electrical energy. It acts as a temporary storage device for charge and can release this stored energy when needed.

3. How does the capacitance value affect the current in a circuit?

The capacitance value directly affects the amount of charge a capacitor can store, which in turn affects the current in a circuit. A higher capacitance means the capacitor can store more charge, resulting in a higher current when it is discharged.

4. Can the current flow through a capacitor?

No, a capacitor blocks the flow of direct current (DC) but allows alternating current (AC) to pass through it. This is because a capacitor stores energy in an electric field and blocks the flow of charge.

5. How do you calculate the time constant of a circuit with a capacitor?

The time constant of a circuit with a capacitor can be calculated using the formula τ = R * C, where τ is the time constant in seconds, R is the resistance in ohms, and C is the capacitance in farads. The time constant is a measure of how quickly the capacitor charges or discharges in a circuit.