How does a relay and solenoid work in the simplest way?

In summary, current flowing through a coil of wire creates a magnetic field (B-Field). If you take your right hand and wrap it around the coil in the direction of current flow(assume it flows from (+) to (-)) then your thumb will point toward the North pole of the B-Field. Once you establish a B-Field you can do a lot of things. You can use said field to rotate an actuator, you can lift an actuator, you can force an actuator down. All you're doing is using the B-field to make ferro-magnetic materials or other solenoids move in a desired fashion.
Stanley_Smith
can anybody explain to me how relay and solanoid work in a simplest way ?

I got a few sources that explain about these two things but they confused me a little bit...

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
Which part is confusing you? The formation of the B-field when current flows through a coil (relay, solenoid), or the mechanical aspect?

Here's a basic rundown, we can get a more indepth from here. Current flowing through a coil of wire produces a magnetic field (B-Field). If you take your right hand and wrap it around the coil in the direction of current flow(assume it flows from (+) to (-)) then your thumb will point toward the North pole of the B-Field. Once you establish a B-Field you can do a lot of things. You can use said field to rotate an actuator, you can lift an actuator, you can force an actuator down. All you're doing is using the B-field to make ferro-megnetic materials or other solenoids move in a desired fashion.

What happens when you put two N-poles of two different magnets close to each other? They repel. So, if you know where the N-pole on your solenoid will be when you switch the current on you can use that the move (up/down) or twist another magnet. What happens when you place a strong magnet near iron. They are attracted. Solenoids/relays use these properties to some mechanical function using electricity as the driver.

Stanley_Smith said:
can anybody explain to me how relay and solanoid work in a simplest way ?

I got a few sources that explain about these two things but they confused me a little bit...

Thanks
Passing a current through a coil of wire creates an electromagnet which pulls on a metal lever. The lever has a contact attached to it, and typically the movement is used to make or break an electrical connection.

[edit]
Here is a link with which includes an animated gif;
http://www.kpsec.freeuk.com/components/relay.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
In a bar magnet, there are electrons. Some of these electrons aren't paired, meaning they don't have another electron spinning in the opposite direction. As electrons spin or move down a wire they create magnetic fields. When another electron, in the same shell, spins in the opposite direction, it creates a magnetic field with it's field upside down in relation to the other electron, this cancels out the magnetic fields of both electrons. Some atoms have unpaired electrons, but Iron, nickel, colbolt, and magnesium have many. Only magnesium has enough to make the atom magnetic.
In magnesium, there are billions of magnetized atoms that have north and south poles. The atom's poles align, and make larger segments called domains. These domains are just a group of millions of magnetized atoms. These domains align, and make the whole piece of magnesium is now magnetic. When a piece of iron, nickel, or cobolt comes near the magnesium, the magnesium aligns the atoms of it, because the iron, nickel or cobolt have south and north poles. This attracts it, and it moves to the magnesium. The atoms in the iron, nickel or cobolt are aligned with the magnesium. When you put another piece of magnesium near the magnesium, it's domains are strong enough not to conform to the other's domains.
In a piece of wire, free, unpaired, electrons flow through the wire a certain direction, creating a magnetic field. When you coil the wire, the lines of force move through the coil. A selinoid has a magnet tip, depending on which way current is flowing, the selinoid is attracted or repelled. In a relay, there is a spring loaded switch next to a coil of wire. When you apply current to the coil, the switch closes.
Sorry this is so long, I like to diagnose electronics to the subatomic level.

1. What is a relay and how does it work?

A relay is an electrical component that is used to control the flow of electricity in a circuit. It works by using an electromagnet to switch a larger, more powerful current on and off, allowing a smaller current to control it.

2. What are the main applications of relays?

Relays are commonly used in a variety of applications, including industrial machinery, automobiles, and household appliances. They are also used in electronic circuits to control high-voltage or high-current devices.

3. How do I choose the right relay for my application?

When selecting a relay, it is important to consider factors such as the required voltage and current ratings, the type of load being controlled, and the expected lifetime of the relay. It is also important to ensure that the relay is compatible with the control signal that will be used to activate it.

4. What are the advantages of using a relay in a circuit?

One of the main advantages of using a relay is that it allows for the control of high-power devices using a low-power control signal. This can help to reduce the size and cost of electronic circuits. Additionally, relays can provide isolation between the control signal and the high-power load, which can help to protect sensitive electronic components.

5. Can a relay be used for both AC and DC circuits?

Yes, there are relays designed specifically for use in AC circuits and others for DC circuits. It is important to select the appropriate relay for the type of circuit being used to ensure proper functioning and safety.