Which is warmer-dark sunglasses or reading glasses

• Thread starter NDbogan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Reading
In summary, the conversation discusses which pair of glasses, reading or sunglasses, would become warmer when exposed to sunlight. The person initially compared it to the white car, black car question, but then realized that sunglasses block UV rays and are usually polarized. It is suggested to conduct an experiment to determine the answer, but the person mentions it is too late for them to do so. The other person suggests using two drinking glasses or even tinted car windshields to test the theory.
NDbogan
1. Sun falls both on a pair of reading glasses and a dark pair of sunglasses. Which pair would you expect to become warmer? defend you anser.

At first it reminded me of the white car, black car type question.
But then I realized sunglasses are meant to block UV ray, etc. and are usually polarized. So would that mean that the reading glasses would become warmer as they have nothing to 'block' the heat from the sun or would it be the darker sunglasses because they absorb and filter the UV rays and heat?

Physics news on Phys.org
NDbogan said:
1. Sun falls both on a pair of reading glasses and a dark pair of sunglasses. Which pair would you expect to become warmer? defend you anser.

At first it reminded me of the white car, black car type question.
But then I realized sunglasses are meant to block UV ray, etc. and are usually polarized. So would that mean that the reading glasses would become warmer as they have nothing to 'block' the heat from the sun or would it be the darker sunglasses because they absorb and filter the UV rays and heat?

If well defined, this is a very easy experiment to do. Then you'll know for certain.

It is a little too late for an experiment. I missed this question in my assignment which is due in 7hrs. is it possible you could explain it further?

It's never too late for an experiment. Take the two glasses and put them equally far from a 100W incandescent bulb. If you don't have sunglasses, find two drinking glasses, one clear and one dark green, red, whatever and try that. If you don't have any of that, go out to the nearesr parking lot and stare at tinted windshields and ask your self why.

1. Which type of glasses, dark sunglasses or reading glasses, are warmer to wear?

If we are talking about the physical temperature of the glasses themselves, there is no difference between dark sunglasses and reading glasses. Both are typically made from the same materials (plastic or metal) and will not retain heat or cold differently.

2. Will wearing dark sunglasses make my face feel warmer in the sun?

Yes, dark sunglasses can make your face feel warmer in the sun because they block out more light and UV rays, which can result in less heat being reflected off of your face. However, this does not mean that the glasses themselves are physically warmer.

3. Are reading glasses warmer to wear indoors compared to dark sunglasses?

No, reading glasses are not typically warmer to wear indoors compared to dark sunglasses. The temperature of your surroundings will have a greater impact on how warm or cool your glasses feel, rather than the type of glasses you are wearing.

4. Do dark sunglasses or reading glasses retain heat more?

Neither dark sunglasses nor reading glasses retain heat more than the other. As mentioned before, both are typically made from the same materials and will not retain heat or cold differently.

5. Can wearing dark sunglasses or reading glasses in the sun cause my eyes to feel warmer?

Yes, wearing dark sunglasses or reading glasses in the sun can make your eyes feel warmer because they block out more light and UV rays, which can result in less heat being reflected off of your eyes. However, this does not mean that the glasses themselves are physically warmer.