Rewrite the following sum with the index of summation

In summary, the conversation is discussing how to rewrite a given sum with the index of summation starting at 3. The participants suggest different methods, such as using a new variable, applying the golden rule, and taking out a constant term. They also discuss the properties of summations and how they can be useful in problem solving. Ultimately, the sum can be rewritten as \sum_{i=3}^{8}3i-1 and the solution is found to be 93.
Slicktacker
Hi, I don't understand this problem at all:

Rewrite the following sum with the index of summation starting at 3 in summation notation:

[tex]\sum_{i=1}^{6}(5+3i)[/tex]

I know that the sum is [tex]93[/tex] but I'm not sure what to do...

Thanks for the help!

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Let j=i+2.

Since 1<=i<=6, clearly we have 3<=j<=8

Use this information to rewrite the the sum in terms of summation index j

My guess is that the author of the problem wants you to find (possibly integer?) x, y such that

[tex]\sum_{i=1}^{6}(5+3i) = \sum_{k = 3}^{6}(x + yk)[/tex].

But it's not really clear if upper limit of the sum has to be 6 (in that case, it's impossible to find integer solutions for x and y).

Last edited:
I tried the following:

[tex]\sum_{i=3}^{4}(36+3i)[/tex]

and it worked. Weird...

As arildno said: let j= i+ 2 (so that i= j- 2). The lower bound on the sum was i= 1 which corresponds to j= 1+2= 3. The upper bound was i= 6 which corresponds to j= 6+ 2= 8. In addition, the "summand" is 5+ 3i= 5+ 3(j- 2)= 5+ 3j- 6= 3j-1. The sum is
[tex]/sum_{j=3}^{8}{3j- 1}

golden rule is, whatever you add to the index of summation, subtract from the variable. so, say you have an infinite series beginning with i=0 for the function i^2, and you are told to express this as a sum starting from i=3, you would subtract 3 from the variable; i.e the sum from i=0 to infinity of i^2 is identical to the sum from i=3 to infinity of (i-3)^2.

DB

[tex]\sum_{i=1}^{6}(5+3i) = \sum_{i=1+2}^{6+2}(5+3(i-2)) = \sum_{i=3}^{8}(5+3i-6) = \sum_{i=3}^{8}3i-1 [/tex]

Last edited:
dannyboy said:
golden rule is, whatever you add to the index of summation, subtract from the variable. so, say you have an infinite series beginning with i=0 for the function i^2, and you are told to express this as a sum starting from i=3, you would subtract 3 from the variable; i.e the sum from i=0 to infinity of i^2 is identical to the sum from i=3 to infinity of (i-3)^2.

DB

This is similar to translating the "origin" (the starting value of the index). This is one of the properties of summations (but in effect it is no big deal since you're simply changing the way you add the quantities, but that does not mean you're changing the sum). This is however a very useful tip at times as dannyboy and JohnF have effectively demonstrated.

A quantity that does not depend on the index of the summation can be taken out of it. This means that [tex]\sum_{i = i_{min}}^{i_{max}}ax_{i}[/tex] equals [tex]a\sum_{i = i_{min}}^{i_{max}}x_{i}[/tex]. This (rather trivial sounding analogy but very useful at times) + dannyboy's tip + some other properties of summations coupled with some ingenuity can really help you in problems :-)

Cheers
Vivek

Slicktacker said:
Hi, I don't understand this problem at all:

Rewrite the following sum with the index of summation starting at 3 in summation notation:

[tex]\sum_{i=1}^{6}(5+3i)[/tex]

I know that the sum is [tex]93[/tex] but I'm not sure what to do...

Thanks for the help!

Couldn't you put the minimum and maximums as the same number, solve the original equation, and place the solution as the series to be summed. (I'll apologize for the lack of correct terms here as I learned my math in french)

1. What does it mean to rewrite a sum with the index of summation?

Rewriting a sum with the index of summation means to change the way the sum is written by using the index notation, which is a mathematical notation used to represent a sum in a more concise and convenient form. The index of summation is typically denoted by a letter or symbol below the summation symbol (∑) and indicates the variable or expression being summed.

2. Why is it important to use the index of summation when writing sums?

The index of summation allows for a more compact and organized representation of sums, making it easier to perform calculations and manipulate the sum. It also helps to avoid confusion and mistakes when dealing with multiple sums or complex expressions.

3. How do you rewrite a sum with the index of summation?

To rewrite a sum with the index of summation, you simply need to replace the variable or expression being summed with the index notation. For example, the sum 2+4+6+8 can be rewritten as ∑n=12n, where n is the index of summation.

4. Can any sum be rewritten with the index of summation?

Yes, any sum can be rewritten with the index of summation. However, it may not always be necessary or beneficial to do so. It is typically used for sums with a large number of terms or complex expressions.

5. What are the advantages of using the index of summation?

Some of the advantages of using the index of summation include a more concise and organized representation of sums, easier manipulation and calculation of sums, and the ability to easily generalize the sum to different values of the index. It also helps to identify patterns and relationships within the sum.