How does a changing electric flux produce a magnetic field?

• Thread starter fluidistic
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Field
In summary: The electric field at any point on the loop is dotted with the unit normal to the surface at that point.In summary, the problem involves a capacitor with circular plates of radius 50 mm and 5 mm distance between them. A sinusoidal difference of potential with a maximum value of 150 V and a frequency of 60 Hz is applied. The amplitude of the magnetic field between the plates and at a distance of 50 mm away from the center of the capacitor is determined using Maxwell's equation, assuming the electric field is uniform between the plates. The electric flux is calculated using Gauss's law and Ampere's law is applied to find the magnetic field. The direction of the magnetic field is determined by the right hand rule. For
fluidistic
Gold Member

Homework Statement

There's a capacitor with circular plates of radius 50 mm and separated by a distance of 5 mm. We apply a sinusoidal difference of potential whose maximum value is 150 V and has a frequency of 60 Hz. Determine the amplitude of the magnetic field, between the plates and at a distance of 50 mm away from the center of the capacitor.

Homework Equations

I've no idea.

The Attempt at a Solution

I've no clue about what equation to use. I'm thinking about Maxwell's equation: [tex]\oint \vec B d\vec s =\mu _0 \varepsilon _0 \frac{d\Phi _E}{dt}+\mu _0 I_{\text{enclosed}}[/tex] but I'm not even sure.
In any case, I'm almost sure I have to calculate the E field of such a capacitor. I don't know if this is right, but I reached that the E field in a point situated inside the capacitor and over the straight line passing by both center of the plates as to be worth [tex]4\pi d \sigma \int _0 ^{0.005} \frac{dr}{r^2 \sqrt{r^2+d^2}}[/tex] and I'm stuck here.
But I'm not sure this is relevant to calculate the E field only in this line.
I've also figured out that [tex]V(t)=150 \sin (60 t)[/tex] and that [tex]\vec E =-\nabla V[/tex].
Any tip is greatly appreciated as I'm at a loss.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you are making this problem more complicated than it is. Assume that the electric field is uniform between the plates (even though your point of interest is at the edge where fringing is significant). Then you can easily relate V to E to the electric flux and use Maxwell's equation as you suggested.

If you do not wish to assume that the electric field is uniform between the plates, then to calculate it off the axis, where your point of interest lies, you need to do an elliptic integral and I don't think you want to go there.

Thanks for the tip kuruman. I'm still somehow confused. Say I assume the E field is uniform between the plates, what value do I choose? As I know it's not uniform, I don't know what value (average maybe?) of the E field to take.

And about the elliptic integral, you're right, I would not go there! But next semester starts the serious (Jackson's book) E&M course, so don't be surprised if I pop up with such an integral.

I think you're still overcomplicating it. V=Ed since E is uniform, so E=V/d. Now you can find an expression for electric flux and apply Ampere's law.

ideasrule said:
I think you're still overcomplicating it. V=Ed since E is uniform, so E=V/d. Now you can find an expression for electric flux and apply Ampere's law.
Thanks. I don't know if I'm on the right way, I get that the net flux through the plates is worth [tex]\frac{V_0 \sin (\omega t)}{d} \cdot 2 \pi r^2[/tex] by applying Gauss's law. Is this right? If so, I'm goint to tackle the rest.

This is the net electric flux through what area?

fluidistic said:
Thanks. I don't know if I'm on the right way, I get that the net flux through the plates is worth [tex]\frac{V_0 \sin (\omega t)}{d} \cdot 2 \pi r^2[/tex] by applying Gauss's law. Is this right? If so, I'm goint to tackle the rest.

Gauss' law? :confused: You just multiply electric field by area to get flux. E=V/d and A=pi*r^2, so flux is just V/d*pi*r^2.

kuruman said:
This is the net electric flux through what area?

Through the two plates... oh... I should divide by 2, right? Because flux enters one plate and leave the other. So I'm wrong.
So it would be [tex]\frac{V_0 \sin (\omega t)}{d} \cdot \pi r^2[/tex]. Am I right?

Edit: Ok I got it! I plan on to continue!

Now I guess that [tex]I_{\text{enclosed}}=0[/tex] because I don't see any circuit, but I'm not 100% sure. If I assume that, I reach [tex]\oint \vec B d \vec s=\frac{\mu _0 \varepsilon _0 V_0 \sin (\omega t)}{d}[/tex].
I'm not able to figure out in my head the magnetic field. Where is it? What is its direction?
For the sake of guessing, I guess I'll simply end up with [tex]Bd=\frac{\mu _0 \varepsilon _0 V_0 \sin (\omega t)}{d}[/tex], thus [tex]B=\mu _0 \varepsilon _0 V_0 \sin (\omega t)[/tex].
That would be between the plates of the capacitor.
And for any points outside it, does B=0 since E (hence the E flux)=0?

Yes, Ienclosed = 0. It is the displacement current that produces the magnetic field. To see the relation of the magnetic field to the changing electric flux, look at the equation

[tex]
\oint \vec B d\vec s =\mu _0 \varepsilon _0 \frac{\partial}{\partial t}\int \vec{E}\cdot\hat{n}dA[/tex]

The line integral is over the contour loop that forms the boundary of the area through which you are calculating the electric flux. The loop is oriented so the circulation in the sense of integration matches the normal to the surface with the use of the right hand rule.

1. What is the purpose of a capacitor in a magnetic field?

A capacitor is used to store electrical energy in the form of an electric field. In a magnetic field, the capacitor can act as a barrier, preventing the magnetic field from reaching certain areas or materials.

2. How does a capacitor interact with a magnetic field?

A capacitor has two plates separated by a dielectric material. When a magnetic field is present, it induces a current in the conductive plates of the capacitor. This current creates a magnetic field that opposes the original field, resulting in a reduction of the overall magnetic field in the area.

3. Can a capacitor be used to generate a magnetic field?

Yes, a capacitor can be used to generate a magnetic field through the process of electromagnetic induction. When a current flows through the capacitor, it creates a changing magnetic field that can induce a current in nearby conductive materials.

4. What is the relationship between a capacitor and inductance in a magnetic field?

A capacitor and inductance are two components that work together to control and regulate the flow of electricity in a circuit. In a magnetic field, the inductance of a circuit can affect the behavior of a capacitor, and vice versa. The two components work together to create a stable and efficient circuit.

5. How can a capacitor be affected by a changing magnetic field?

A changing magnetic field can induce a current in a capacitor, which can cause the capacitor to discharge. This can result in a change in the voltage and current in the circuit. Additionally, a strong and rapidly changing magnetic field can damage the dielectric material in the capacitor, reducing its effectiveness.