Calculation loss of energy due to friction?

In summary, the student is seeking help with question 9, which relates to the equations Wnet=change in KE and Wnc=Change in Energy. They have attempted to solve the problem using the equation Fs(h*cos15)=.5mv^2-mgh, but have not been able to get the correct answer. The student has clarified that they meant to use F(k), which is the force due to kinetic friction, and that the equation for work is FDcos(theta). They have also mentioned that they calculated the distance of the slope using the Pythagorean theorem, giving cos(15)*the height.
okgo

Homework Statement

http://i43.tinypic.com/i1bq1i.jpg
I need help with number 9

Homework Equations

Wnet=change in KE
Wnc=Change in Energy

The Attempt at a Solution

I haven't been able to get the answer marked by the computer.
I tried Fs(h*cos15)=.5mv^2-mgh
and that is way off the anwser

Physics news on Phys.org
okgo said:
I haven't been able to get the answer marked by the computer.
I tried Fs(h*cos15)=.5mv^2-mgh
and that is way off the anwser

Can you explain that equation? I don't understand what F and s are, or how you derived Fs(h*cos15).

sorry I meant that F(k) which is the force due to kinetic friction.
The equation for work is FDcos(theta). They gave use the height so I calculated the distance of the slope by Pythagorean theorem which gives cos(15)*the height.

1. What is friction?

Friction is a force that opposes motion between two surfaces that are in contact with each other. It is caused by the irregularities and roughness of the surfaces and results in the conversion of kinetic energy into heat.

2. How does friction affect energy?

Friction causes a loss of energy by converting some of the kinetic energy of a moving object into heat. This results in a decrease in the overall energy of the system.

3. What factors affect the amount of energy lost due to friction?

The amount of energy lost due to friction depends on the surface roughness, the force applied, and the speed of the moving object. It also varies depending on the type of material and the presence of lubricants.

4. How can the loss of energy due to friction be calculated?

The loss of energy due to friction can be calculated using the formula W = Fd, where W is the work done, F is the force of friction, and d is the distance over which the force is applied. This formula can be used to calculate the amount of energy converted into heat due to friction.

5. How can the effects of friction be reduced to minimize energy loss?

The effects of friction can be reduced by using lubricants, such as oil or grease, to create a barrier between the moving surfaces. Additionally, using smoother surfaces and reducing the force and speed of the moving object can also help to minimize energy loss due to friction.