Open Circuit Voltage, Thevenin Equivalent

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the open circuit voltage across terminals A and B in a circuit using the equation V = IR. The attempt at a solution involves solving for the currents I0, I1, and I2, but an error is made in the calculation. The conversation suggests finding the Thevenin equivalent of the circuit to the left of terminals C and D first for an easier solution.
hbweb500

Homework Statement

Find the open circuit voltage across A & B:

BJn6V.png

Homework Equations

V = IR

The Attempt at a Solution

If I0 is the current leaving the voltage source and passing through the first resistor, I1 is the current through the left resistor in parallel, and I2 through the two other resistors, then:

[tex] V - I_0 R - I_1 R = 0 [/tex]

[tex] -2 I_2 R + I_1 R = 0 [/tex]

[tex]I_0 = I_1 + I_2 [/tex]

Solving gives a current [tex] I_2 = \frac{2 V}{5R}[/tex], therefore the potential difference across the A & B terminals is [tex]\Delta V = I_2 R = \frac{2 V}{5}[/tex]

The book says this is [tex]\frac{V}{5}[tex].

Am I doing something wrong, or have I found an error in the book?

Physics news on Phys.org
You made an error while solving the equations. You can see this if you try to find all the currents: If I_2 = 2V/5R then I_1 is 4V/5R and I_0 wil be 6V/5R, but this means that the leftmost resistance has a potential difference of 1.2 V_0 across it, which is impossible.

This problem is easier to solve if you compute the thevenin equivalent of the circuit to the left of C and D first. It will also be useful when you have to compute the short circuit current of the entire circuit.

Yep, that's the case. I must have plugged it into Mathematica wrong.

1. What is Open Circuit Voltage?

Open Circuit Voltage (Voc) is the voltage difference between the two terminals of a circuit when there is no load or current flowing through it. It is the maximum voltage that can be measured in a circuit.

2. What is Thevenin Equivalent?

Thevenin Equivalent is a simplified circuit that represents the behavior of a more complex circuit. It consists of a single voltage source in series with a single resistor, and it has the same open circuit voltage and internal resistance as the original circuit.

3. Why is Open Circuit Voltage important?

Open Circuit Voltage is important because it helps us understand the behavior of a circuit and determine its maximum voltage output. It is also used to calculate the Thevenin Equivalent of a circuit, which can be useful in simplifying complex circuits for analysis.

4. How is Open Circuit Voltage measured?

Open Circuit Voltage can be measured using a voltmeter. The voltmeter should be connected in parallel with the two terminals of the circuit to measure the voltage difference between them. It is important to note that the circuit must be open (no load or current) for an accurate measurement.

5. What factors affect Open Circuit Voltage?

The main factors that affect Open Circuit Voltage are the type of voltage source (e.g. battery, generator), the internal resistance of the circuit, and the number and arrangement of components in the circuit. Temperature and aging of components can also affect the Open Circuit Voltage of a circuit.