What causes the inertia of an object in classical physics?

In summary, the concept of inertia is a fundamental property of mass and its cause is currently unknown. It is not considered a force, but rather a tendency for objects to stay at rest or continue in motion unless acted upon by a force. The concept of inertia is closely related to Newton's Third Law and can be explained by conservation of momentum and symmetries in space. The idea of fictitious forces is simply a result of different frames of reference. Ultimately, the cause of inertia, along with other fundamental qualities of the universe, remains a philosophical question as it is beyond the scope of science to investigate.
Jonathan Scott said:
There's a beautiful paper "On the Origin of Inertia" from 1953 by Dennis Sciama, which can be found online, which provides a specific explanation of inertia by drawing analogies between electromagnetism and gravity, .

I also think Sciama makes an excellent, subtle and eloquent (Machian) case of the origin of inertia.

Here is a good simple discussion of his ideas for anyone familiar with the gravitoelectric equation in terms of the grav. vector and scalar potentials...
...in which he shows inertia to be a gravitoelectric field which must result from a changing gravitational vector potential. (see eqn.2 ..which is the EM analog to the gravitational case...which becomes equivilent to eqn. 6)...

http://physics.fullerton.edu/~jimw/general/inertia/index.htm

Its nice to see others who enjoy these "not so commonly known" formulations.

BTW, I have no problem with the linear approximations as long as there are no locally strong field / high velocity sources that can skew the results with post Newtonian terms.

Creator

P.S. I should note that Sciama's formulation provides a natural underlying 'reason' for the local equivalence of inertial and gravitational mass, something Gen. Relativity doesn't address.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
DaveC426913 said:
Yes, this is the hypothesized particle that imbues objects with mass and thus inertia.
I don't think this is right. I thought the Higgs was supposed to explain most (not all) of the mass-energy of ordinary matter, but not to explain anything about inertia (e.g., why the resistance to forced acceration should be proportional to mass-energy in the first place).

A body keeps on moving in uniform motion in extremely low temperatures of deep space. Doesn't the temperature affect its motion. If the body reaches areas where the temp. is near absolute zero, would it still cotinue as before. If molecules get slowed down why not the body?

mohitkapil said:
A body keeps on moving in uniform motion in extremely low temperatures of deep space. Doesn't the temperature affect its motion. If the body reaches areas where the temp. is near absolute zero, would it still cotinue as before. If molecules get slowed down why not the body?
Why would it? Can you think of any mechanism whereby an inertially moving body would slow down (an act that requires energy) if there's less energy around?

DaveC426913 said:
Why would it? Can you think of any mechanism whereby an inertially moving body would slow down (an act that requires energy) if there's less energy around?

If low temperature can lower the speed (vibration) of the molecules it is composed of, it means that its internal energy is also lowered. This should have an effect on its motion as the body is nothing but an aggregate of all those molecules. The motion that a body possesses has its effect on the molecules it is made of ( especially if the body is traveling at a very high speed). The reverse can also be true.

GRDixon said:
A small spherical shell of charge has electromagnetic mass ... an external agent must exert a force on the sphere in order to accelerate it. When the charge is accelerated, its own fields INDUCE an electric field component right at the charge itself. This component is such as to always point opposite to the acceleration. It is helpful to think of the charge as a "conduit" or point of contact between the driving agent and the electromagnetic field. The agent exerts a force on the field (by pushing/pulling on the field source) and the field pushes back, ala Newton 3, via an electric force experienced by the charge in its own field. Using the field solutions for point charges, this can easily be modeled on a computer, and it can be demonstrated that the accelerating charge does indeed experience a self-induced electric field right at its own position. "The Feynman Lectures ...", V2, Sect. 28-4 discuss "The force of an electron on itself."

Self induction may indeed be a clue, related to field theory of matter. Regretfully no full-blown theory has come of it (I think), but as you mentioned, at least for the electron the hypothesis that inertia is caused by self induction works reasonably well.

Thus, one way of interpreting inertia is as a measure of the resistance to change of motion of bound field energy. It is therefore also strongly related to mass, which is a measure of (field) energy content.

dulrich said:
I'm not an expert in particle physics, but isn't the Higgs boson hypothesized to be the source of mass for elementary particles?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Higgs_boson#Theoretical_overview

So this shows it is not a philosophical question.

Except within the framework of a false philosophy.

You might need some better philosophy to get you out of that, better philosophy would do no harm and I have nothing against that but Science does have a habit of doing it anyway without philosophising when the time is ripe.

mohitkapil said:
If low temperature can lower the speed (vibration) of the molecules it is composed of, it means that its internal energy is also lowered. This should have an effect on its motion as the body is nothing but an aggregate of all those molecules. The motion that a body possesses has its effect on the molecules it is made of ( especially if the body is traveling at a very high speed). The reverse can also be true.

You've composed a word salad. Lots of words tossed together, but the logic's missing.

You seem to be thinking the object is expending energy to keep moving such that removing some energy would cause it to move less. Not so.

Newton's first law: A body in motion will stay in motion unless acted upon by an external force. So what external force are you proposing?An analogy: If I were floating through space playing music really loud, and then I stopped playing the music really loud, would I slow down? Why?

Last edited:
DaveC426913 said:
You've composed a word salad. Lots of words tossed together, but the logic's missing.

You seem to be thinking the object is expending energy to keep moving such that removing some energy would cause it to move less. Not so.

Newton's first law: A body in motion will stay in motion unless acted upon by an external force. So what external force are you proposing?

An analogy: If I were floating through space playing music really loud, and then I stopped playing the music really loud, would I slow down? Why?

You should explain what’s wrong in my post rather than calling it a ‘salad’. You have tried to divert the talk with another example. This is tactics but not science.

mohitkapil said:
You should explain what’s wrong in my post rather than calling it a ‘salad’.
What's wrong with it is that one sentence does not follow from its previous sentence.

...its internal energy is also lowered. This should have an effect on its motion...

B does not follow from A.I refer you again to http://csep10.phys.utk.edu/astr161/lect/history/Newton3laws.html". Note the especially the phrase "...an external force is applied".

The motion that a body possesses has its effect on the molecules it is made of ( especially if the body is traveling at a very high speed). The reverse can also be true.

This is something you've simply made up that sounds plausible to you. But it sounds like word salad to anyone else. You should not just make up your own ideas.
mohitkapil said:
You have tried to divert the talk with another example. This is tactics but not science.
Tactics? This is not a debate. This is you learning. You need a better grasp on the laws of motion. I'm trying to help you understand a concept you are failing to grasp. Multiple examples are a tried and true teaching method.

Last edited by a moderator:
Studiot said:
In mechanical systems you need to also consider rotational inertia, which is independant of linear momentum.

They are not at all indepdent. A (theoretical) point particle has no rotational inertia. If you consider a finite sized body as being composed of point particles, then the rotational inertia and angular momentum of the whole body can be found (by integrating over the volume of the body) from the linear momentum and inertia (mass) of each particle.

Angular momentum and rotational inertia are nice mathematical tools to work with, but they don't introduce any new physics into classical mechanics. They can be explained entirely by Newton's laws of motion, even though Newton's laws are appear to be stated only in terms of linear motion.

AlephZero said:
They are not at all indepdent. A (theoretical) point particle has no rotational inertia. ...
Angular momentum and rotational inertia are nice mathematical tools to work with, but they don't introduce any new physics into classical mechanics. They can be explained entirely by Newton's laws of motion, even though Newton's laws are appear to be stated only in terms of linear motion.
According to classical mechanics, the electron, which is considered to be a point particle, should have no angular momentum. But it has angular momentum, as do quarks. So I don't think you can explain an electron or a quark by Newton's laws of motion.

AM

Andrew Mason said:
According to classical mechanics, the electron, which is considered to be a point particle, should have no angular momentum. But it has angular momentum, as do quarks. So I don't think you can explain an electron or a quark by Newton's laws of motion.

AM

I don't follow your logic, especially not in the context of this sub forum of classical mechanics. According to classical mechanics everything that has mass, angular momentum etc. - any material object - must have size. The Earth is approximated as a point particle in astronomical calculations, but that doesn't mean that the Earth is considered to be really a point particle!

harrylin said:
I don't follow your logic, especially not in the context of this sub forum of classical mechanics. According to classical mechanics everything that has mass, angular momentum etc. - any material object - must have size. The Earth is approximated as a point particle in astronomical calculations, but that doesn't mean that the Earth is considered to be really a point particle!

Nonetheless, the subatomic particles are considered to be point masses.

DaveC426913 said:
Nonetheless, the subatomic particles are considered to be point masses.

A true point (infinitely small) implies infinite density, which is not possible in classical physics. :bugeye:

harrylin said:
A true point (infinitely small) implies infinite density, which is not possible in classical physics. :bugeye:
What principle or law of classical physics sets an upper limit on the density that a body can have?

AM

Andrew Mason said:
What principle or law of classical physics sets an upper limit on the density that a body can have?
AM
Good one!

Also the electrostatic field energy would be infinite, so that already the creation of an electron would require infinite energy - that does not make any sense. Theorists generally dislike that kind of singularities, but I must admit, that it's a non-binding principle, similar to Occam's razor. :tongue2:

Anyway, I'm pretty sure that electrons were modeled in classical physics as particles with a nominal radius that follows from its charge and its mass, which is assumed to be fully electromagnetic - already before the advent of special relativity.

There even is the label "classical electron radius" which accounts for SR.
- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Classical_electron_radius

What is pertinent for this discussion, is that in classical physics it is rather standard to assume that the inertia of the electron is fully caused by its electromagnetic field.