Advice for a first year high schooler who wishes to be a theoretical physicist

In summary, a 14-year-old is fascinated by theoretical physics and wants to pursue a career in the field. They plan on taking relevant courses and attending college to major in Astrophysics. However, advice is given to keep an open mind and explore other subjects as well. The importance of math and science classes is emphasized and the potential for changing interests is mentioned.
AaronSvenson
Hello there, I am currently 14 and 1 and a half weeks away from starting high school and over my summer break I've developed a strong fascination in theoretical physics, especially in the brane theory(which involves the notion that there are actually 11 dimensions of space and one of time) and I would really like to pursue a career in theoretical physics but I am clueless on where to start, I will be taking AP algebra which covers algebra 1 and 2, and geometry 1 and 2. I have been home schooled all my life so I believe this is a great opportunity to pursue my dream. I am also taking a course in pre-engineering. I wish to attend a college( I am still looking for one) and acquire a major in Astrophysics then hopefully apply to Cambridge for Theoretical Physics. Any and all advice is welcome.

Physics news on Phys.org
The best thing you can do at this age is to take as many maths and science classes that you can.

pdidy said:
kid give up on that dream. If you have not started differential calculus by now, you probably won't make a good theoretical physicist.
OP, ignore this comment, the poster doesn't know what he's talking about.

I would say keep your options and possibilities open. In addition, keep an open mind about other subjects. Don't close yourself off from other possibilities at such a young age. In addition, I agree with cristo:

cristo said:
The best thing you can do at this age is to take as many maths and science classes that you can.

In science, knowing math very well will never serve you poorly.

Chances are that at your age, you perception of every single branch of science is at least a little skewed, including physics. Keep an open mind and don't get stuck onto this idea of theoretical physics. In case you didn't know, there are two types of physics, theoretical and experimental. The media and things like it tend to sensationalize theoretical physics, and I think that you might think that theoretical physics is something it's not, and experimental is something it's not. You may find, as you get older and get into college, that you find experimental physics more interesting. Or that you find biology or something else interesting. Just keep an open mind as some people have said before me.

1. What classes should I take in high school to prepare for a career in theoretical physics?

To prepare for a career in theoretical physics, it is important to have a strong foundation in mathematics and science. Take as many advanced math courses as possible, such as calculus and algebra, as well as physics and chemistry courses. It is also beneficial to take courses in computer science and programming.

2. What extracurricular activities should I participate in to enhance my knowledge in theoretical physics?

Participating in science clubs, math competitions, and research projects can greatly enhance your knowledge and skills in theoretical physics. Additionally, attending lectures and conferences on physics topics can also be beneficial.

3. Are there any specific skills or qualities that are important for a theoretical physicist?

Some important skills and qualities for a theoretical physicist include strong analytical and problem-solving abilities, creativity, attention to detail, and a passion for learning and exploring new concepts. Good communication and teamwork skills are also important for collaborating with other scientists.

4. What advice do you have for managing the workload and demands of pursuing a career in theoretical physics?

Pursuing a career in theoretical physics requires dedication and hard work. It is important to prioritize your time and stay organized, as the workload can be demanding. Seek help when needed and don't be afraid to ask questions. It is also important to take breaks and maintain a healthy work-life balance.

5. What can I do to stand out as a candidate for top theoretical physics programs in college?

To stand out as a candidate for top theoretical physics programs, it is important to have a strong academic record, including high grades in math and science courses. Participating in research projects, internships, and other extracurricular activities related to physics can also make you a competitive applicant. Additionally, demonstrating a strong interest and passion for the subject through your personal statement and letters of recommendation can also help you stand out.