Points, Lines, and Planes in 3D Space Given 3 points find a plane

In summary: I got is the normal vector to the mirror plane,<11/18, 10/18, 7/18> *(DP dot) <x-8, y-4, z-1> = 0it solves for,(11/18)*(x-8) + (10/18)*(y-4) + (7/18)*(z-1) = 011x + 10y + 7z = d-constant, though, the answer given by my instructor is,5x - 2y - 5z = 27.
yjoung

Homework Statement

A flashlight located at the origin, (0, 0, 0), shines a beam of light towards a flat mirror. The beam reflects off of the mirror at (8, 4, 1) and then passes through (10, 8, 5). What is the equation of the plane that contains the mirror? Express answer in linear form.

Homework Equations

Basically those pertaining to lines and planes in 3-D space.

The Attempt at a Solution

I've been struggling with this for quite a long time...my attempts won't help much at all since they really have been limited to fiddling with the vectors between points and getting tangled in a mess of dot products and cross products. All in all, I assume that if you know how to solve this problem then it might come to you in an instant..

I simply am stuck.

Physics news on Phys.org
You have three points in the plane, right? Can you use those to find a normal vector to the plane? Showing your work for this part of the problem would be a good idea.

I'm afraid that this isn't really trying to ask for a plane with all those points included.

The only point given, that would be in the mirror plane, should be (8, 4, 1)...at least to my knowledge.

If it contained all those points then I would've been able to solve this.

yjoung said:
I'm afraid that this isn't really trying to ask for a plane with all those points included.

The only point given, that would be in the mirror plane, should be (8, 4, 1)...at least to my knowledge.

If it contained all those points then I would've been able to solve this.

Good point. Try this, the mirror plane is normal to the bisector of the angle between the incoming and outgoing rays, right?

Last edited:
Well I don't think so...

because the plane of the light beam would just be a light beam stretched out like a plane...and it obviously wouldn't be hitting the mirror at a right angle, since it would just (it = light beam) sent in the opposite direction (<-, this becomes, ->, that).

And there are two light beams, one coming from the origin, and one bouncing off the mirror, so I am just not following you.

If you could insert the few beginning steps you used to solve this problem, that would probably help me understand much more faster than more conceptualization.

Yes, I've gotten that far (from your updated/edited reply)

but I'm horribly stuck on how to get any sensible vector out of the angle (which is 48.19 degrees via Cross Product manipulation).

yjoung said:
Yes, I've gotten that far (from your updated/edited reply)

but I'm horribly stuck on how to get any sensible vector out of the angle (which is 48.19 degrees via Cross Product manipulation).

Find two unit vectors describing the incoming and outgoing beam directions. Point them in the same direction and average them (add one to the other and divide by two) to get the angle bisector. Does the picture help? This is hard to describe in words.

ok so, this what I have done,

Vector I (incoming) -> the vector going from (0,0,0) to (8,4,1) -> (8-0, 4-0, 1-0) =

<8,4,1>

Vector O (outgoing) -> the vector going from (8,4,1) to (10,8,5) -> (10 -8, 8-4, 5-1) =

<2,4,4>

So what you meant by "two unit vectors describing the incoming and outgoing beam directions. Point them in the same direction and average them ", was to do the following?

Unit Vector I = <8,4,1> / 9
Unit Vector O = <2,4,4> / 6

(<8,4,1> / 9) + (<2,4,4> / 6) = <11/18, 10/18, 7/18>

and if I solve for it, assuming that what I got is the normal vector to the mirror plane,

<11/18, 10/18, 7/18> *(DP dot) <x-8, y-4, z-1> = 0

it solves for,

(11/18)*(x-8) + (10/18)*(y-4) + (7/18)*(z-1) = 0

11x + 10y + 7z = d-constant,

though, the answer given by my instructor is,

5x - 2y - 5z = 27.

Could you explain why that is?

yjoung said:
ok so, this what I have done,

Vector I (incoming) -> the vector going from (0,0,0) to (8,4,1) -> (8-0, 4-0, 1-0) =

<8,4,1>

Vector O (outgoing) -> the vector going from (8,4,1) to (10,8,5) -> (10 -8, 8-4, 5-1) =

<2,4,4>

So what you meant by "two unit vectors describing the incoming and outgoing beam directions. Point them in the same direction and average them ", was to do the following?

Unit Vector I = <8,4,1> / 9
Unit Vector O = <2,4,4> / 6

(<8,4,1> / 9) + (<2,4,4> / 6) = <11/18, 10/18, 7/18>

and if I solve for it, assuming that what I got is the normal vector to the mirror plane,

<11/18, 10/18, 7/18> *(DP dot) <x-8, y-4, z-1> = 0

it solves for,

(11/18)*(x-8) + (10/18)*(y-4) + (7/18)*(z-1) = 0

11x + 10y + 7z = d-constant,

though, the answer given by my instructor is,

5x - 2y - 5z = 27.

Could you explain why that is?

Yes. What I meant by "point in the same direction" is either reverse the incoming beam direction so it's pointing outward, and then average or reverse the outgoing. They both have to be pointing in the same direction from the mirror direction before you can average them to get the bisector. Look at the picture again. Do you see why? Try changing <8,4,1>/9 to <-8,-4,-1>/9. You will get a normal direction of <-5,2,5>. I tried it, it's true. Nice work BTW.

Last edited:
wow, ok, thank you so much Dick.

Finally got it.

1. What is a point in 3D space?

In mathematics and geometry, a point is a precise location in space that is represented by its coordinates, usually in the form of three numbers (x, y, z) in 3D space. It has no size, shape, or dimensions, and is considered to be a fundamental building block for geometric shapes and figures.

2. What is a line in 3D space?

A line is a straight path that extends infinitely in both directions and can be represented by an equation in the form of ax + by + cz + d = 0 in 3D space. It is defined by two points and contains infinitely many points between them. A line can also be described as the intersection of two planes.

3. What is a plane in 3D space?

A plane is a flat, two-dimensional surface that extends infinitely in all directions and can be defined by an equation in the form of ax + by + cz + d = 0 in 3D space. It is defined by three non-collinear points or a line and a point not on the line. A plane contains infinitely many points and is often used to represent a flat surface, such as a tabletop or a wall.

4. How do you find a plane given three points?

To find a plane given three points, you can use the three-point form of a plane equation, which states that a plane passing through three non-collinear points (x1, y1, z1), (x2, y2, z2), and (x3, y3, z3) can be represented by the equation ax + by + cz + d = 0, where a, b, and c are the components of the normal vector to the plane and d is a constant. By substituting the coordinates of the three points into the equation, you can solve for a, b, c, and d, and thus find the equation of the plane.

5. What are some real-life applications of points, lines, and planes in 3D space?

Points, lines, and planes in 3D space are fundamental concepts in mathematics and have numerous real-life applications. They are used in engineering and architecture to design and construct buildings and structures, in computer graphics to create 3D models and animations, and in navigation and mapping systems to determine the position and orientation of objects in space. They also play a crucial role in physics and astronomy to describe the motion of objects and the geometry of the universe.