J - "Exploring the Efficiency and Potential of StarRotor's Novel Engine Design

In summary, the Brayton Cycle engine design at www.starrotor.com has claims of being able to have similar efficiency to jet engines with less exotic materials and a 6:1 compression ratio. However, there are some concerns about the feasibility of the design and leakage issues.
Kenneth Mann
I decided to try my hand at initiating a discussion. In particular, I'm interested in what others think about the rather novel (Brayton Cycle) engine design at (www.starrotor.com) and its claims? It's, in principle, the same type of continuous burn engine as in jet aircraft, but with somewhat simpler design and less requirement for exotic materials. Note in particular, their efficiency claims. If it works as planned, it might be interesting.

KM

Engineering news on Phys.org
link rotted

The link works just fine!

KM

Maybe its just for the prototype, but a 6:1 compression ratio means pretty low efficiency - worse than a regular car (otto cycle) engine. Regardless, they are still pretty early in the development. We'll need to wait and see. I'm definitely in favor of brayton cycle engines in cars if its feasible though.

Last edited:
Actually I think that you're applying the limitations of an Otto cycle to the Brayton cycle. Gas turbines and jet engines have low compression ratios but high volume flows.

KM

A higher compression ratio is still better.

KM

Interesting concept. I think it seems like it will eventually be quite feasible, if not soon. It would be cool to see this go into production. :cool:

It looks pretty good. But hot gas is corosive. Also heat make things expand, which would spoil close fit. Lots of leakage! They don't have a prototype running, which tells you how hard it is. Pistons with piston rings is hard to beat! Wes Hughes

Lets not forget the original rotor engine. Those are harder to beat, fewer moving parts = longer life. Plus better efficiency. Rotor engines have been in use for decades, the starrotor just looks like an American redesign. About time, too, sometimes we're pretty slow on the uptake.

Deleted previous message: As I'm talking rubbish and thinking of something else altogeher.

Interesting idea, the efficiency claims aren't outside the realm of possibility either.

Last edited:
Wesley Hughes said:
But hot gas is corosive. Also heat make things expand, which would spoil close fit. Lots of leakage!
Isn't a Brayton cycle isobaric?
The combustion chamber is open to the output turbine - there isn't anything to seal.

FYI...this thread is like 5 years old...LOL!

CS

Balls! Can't believe I didnt notice that.

Wow! Has it been that long. I feel old.

KM

1. What is StarRotor's novel engine design?

StarRotor's novel engine design is a new type of engine that utilizes a unique rotor and stator system to convert energy into mechanical motion. It is designed to be more efficient and have a higher power output compared to traditional engine designs.

2. How does StarRotor's engine design improve efficiency?

The StarRotor engine design improves efficiency by reducing friction and heat loss through its use of a unique rotor and stator system. This allows for a more direct transfer of energy, resulting in less energy wasted and a more efficient engine.

3. What potential does StarRotor's engine design have?

StarRotor's engine design has the potential to revolutionize the field of engine technology. Its increased efficiency and power output could lead to significant improvements in various industries, such as transportation and energy production.

4. What makes StarRotor's engine design different from traditional engine designs?

The main difference between StarRotor's engine design and traditional designs is the use of a unique rotor and stator system. This allows for a more direct transfer of energy, resulting in higher efficiency and power output. Additionally, the design is more compact and lightweight, making it suitable for various applications.

5. What are the potential applications of StarRotor's engine design?

StarRotor's engine design has the potential to be used in various industries, including transportation, energy production, and even aerospace. It could also be adapted for use in smaller devices, such as generators and pumps.