Addition of Vectors: Finding the Angle

In summary, the conversation discusses how to find the sum of two vectors and the associated angle. It is suggested to break the vectors into their x and y components, find the sum of each, and use trigonometry to determine the resultant vector. It is also noted that the angle may need to be adjusted depending on the direction of rotation.
Haftred
One of my review questions is the following:

"A box is pulled along the floor by a horizontal force of 35 N. Another force acts concurrently on the box with a force of 25 N at an angle of 40 degrees above the horizontal in the same direction as the first force. What is the sum of the two vectors?"

I got the magnitude of the vector to be 56 N by finding the square root of the horizontal and vertical components respectively squared. However, how does one find the angle. I know I need to calculate the inverse tangent of something - but what?

Physics news on Phys.org
Try breaking the vectors down into their x and y components. Then find the sum of the x components, then the sum of the y components. Then, draw a triangle with these vector sums and use trig to find the resultant vector.

thanks...I'll definitely do better on the exam now :cool:

glad I could help! :smile:

note be sure to add in the extra degres when using a triangle for trig
you can solve for the angle but then you may need to add/subtract 90,180,270,360

Last edited:
example
--------------=--------------------
--------------=-------------------- ROUGH DRAWING
--------------=-------------------- VECTOR ONE= postive x
--------------=-------------------- VECTOR TWO= negitive y
============AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
--------------A-A------ If you solve for this angle and you have
--------------A-- A----------counterclockwise movement then you must
--------------A----- A------- subtract 360 to get angle
--------------A-------- A
--------------=-------------------

I hope this makes sense
i know it is very rough sketch

1. What is the addition of vectors?

The addition of vectors is a mathematical operation where two or more vectors are combined to form a new vector. This operation is used to find the resultant vector of multiple forces acting on an object.

2. How do you find the angle between two vectors?

To find the angle between two vectors, you can use the dot product formula: θ = cos⁻¹(a•b / |a||b|), where a and b are the two vectors and |a| and |b| represent their magnitudes.

3. Can the angle between two vectors be negative?

No, the angle between two vectors cannot be negative. It is always measured as an acute angle between 0° and 180°.

4. What is the difference between adding vectors algebraically and graphically?

Adding vectors algebraically involves using equations and mathematical calculations to find the resultant vector, while adding vectors graphically involves using a scale and protractor to draw and measure the resultant vector.

5. How is the angle between two vectors affected when they are added together?

The angle between two vectors is affected by their magnitudes and direction. If the two vectors are in the same direction, the resultant vector will have a smaller angle than either of the individual vectors. If the two vectors are in opposite directions, the resultant vector will have a larger angle than either of the individual vectors.