Zener Diode connected in serie

• Thread starter Antonio G
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Diode
In summary, the circuit has two zener diodes connected in series with a reverse breakdown voltage of 10V. The input voltage is 8V, and both diodes have minimum reverse leakage currents of IzminDz1= 1microAmp and IzminDz2= 2 microAmp. The question is what is the current flowing through the circuit. It is important to note that even though the diodes are off, there is still a small reverse leakage current. The current through the circuit is the same for both diodes, but the reverse voltages will have to balance out to match the respective diodes' Is-V curves. The document attached in the conversation may have an error in its analysis as
Antonio G
Hi. A circuit has two zener diodes connected in series. The voltage reaches the diode's reverse breakdown voltage (VzDiode1 and VZDiode2 are the same = 10V). The Vi of the all circuit is 8 V.

/ /
8v -----|<|----|<|---- Ground
/ /
+ +DZ1- +DZ2- -

Both diodes have: IzminDz1= 1microAmp and IzminDz2= 2 microAmp

My question: What is the current flowing through this circuit?

I understand that these diodes are off and that should be open, but in reality there is current flowing through the circuit?

Thanks in advance for your help...

Engineering news on Phys.org
Antonio G said:
Hi. A circuit has two zener diodes connected in series. The voltage reaches the diode's reverse breakdown voltage (VzDiode1 and VZDiode2 are the same = 10V). The Vi of the all circuit is 8 V.

/ /
8v -----|<|----|<|---- Ground
/ /
+ +DZ1- +DZ2- -

Both diodes have: IzminDz1= 1microAmp and IzminDz2= 2 microAmp

My question: What is the current flowing through this circuit?

I understand that these diodes are off and that should be open, but in reality there is current flowing through the circuit?

Thanks in advance for your help...

There should be a small reverse leakage current up to the point that they start to break down.

Thanks for your answer.
This small reverse leakage current is the same to or less than Izmin?
If Iz1min (1mA) is different from Iz2min (2ma). What is the current series (Iz serie) in the circuit. The diode 1 or 2 ?. Which predominates?
Thanks again !

Antonio G said:
Thanks for your answer.
This small reverse leakage current is the same to or less than Izmin?
If Iz1min (1mA) is different from Iz2min (2ma). What is the current series (Iz serie) in the circuit. The diode 1 or 2 ?. Which predominates?
Thanks again !

You mentioned microamp (uA) currents in your original post, not milliamp currents.

With a regular diode, the reverse leakage current is often referred to as Is, or the saturation current. To be honest, I'm not sure what it's referred to with Zener diodes. My books are at work -- I'll check tomorrow AM when I get into work, unless someone else (or you) beats me to it.

Oh and on your question about which to use -- look at the I-V curves for diodes and Zener diodes. Near the 0V crossing, you will see that there is a reverse saturation current associated with the different values of bias voltage. If 2 diodes have different values of Is versus reverse voltage bias, how will the series combination play out? The current will be the same Is through both of them, but the reverse voltages will have to balance out to match the respective diodes' Is-V curves, no?

Thank you very much for your time. I had a mistake typing the value of the current in my second question.
I understand perfectly what you are trying to indicate me in your answers. I share with you your reasoning.
To cut to the chase, I will put a document (.pdf) in which I will show you the results of this problem that I found on the Internet
In the answer a), it is observed that the ecuation of (Idiode) equals the current of Diode 1 and the current of Diode 2. They also make a calculation, obtaining the current of diode 2, I don’t understand this equalization.
And on answer b), Diode 1 is ON and Diode 2 is OFF and the current of the circuit is the current 2. Why?
The analysis that is showed in the resolution of the problem, I looked for it on the internet and I’ve been looking for a logical analysis of the Zener Diode and it does not match.
Thankful for your time.

Attachments

• Zener Diode.pdf
    151.8 KB · Views: 607
Antonio G said:
Thank you very much for your time. I had a mistake typing the value of the current in my second question.
I understand perfectly what you are trying to indicate me in your answers. I share with you your reasoning.
To cut to the chase, I will put a document (.pdf) in which I will show you the results of this problem that I found on the Internet
In the answer a), it is observed that the ecuation of (Idiode) equals the current of Diode 1 and the current of Diode 2. They also make a calculation, obtaining the current of diode 2, I don’t understand this equalization.
And on answer b), Diode 1 is ON and Diode 2 is OFF and the current of the circuit is the current 2. Why?
The analysis that is showed in the resolution of the problem, I looked for it on the internet and I’ve been looking for a logical analysis of the Zener Diode and it does not match.
Thankful for your time.

I only looked at the attachment briefly, but it looks like they are making an error. You need to use the Is values for each diode (1uA and 2uA), and solve the equation for the two diodes in reverse bias before breakdown. Also, the diode equation they are using does not seem to include the Zener breakdown region.

I could be wrong, and will look more a bit later. But the Zener knee is nowhere sharp enough to say that there is 100V across one diode and 20V across the other. You need full current to make the 100V reverse Zener voltage, which is not consistent with saying the other diode is at 20V reverse. If it is, you are still near Is, nowhere near a full reverse Zener breakdown current...

1. What is a Zener Diode connected in series?

A Zener Diode connected in series is a type of electronic component that is used to regulate voltage in a circuit. It is typically connected in series with other components such as resistors or transistors to control the flow of current and maintain a constant voltage level.

2. How does a Zener Diode connected in series work?

A Zener Diode connected in series works by maintaining a constant voltage drop across its terminals, even when the input voltage varies. This is achieved through a process called the Zener breakdown, where the diode allows current to flow in the reverse direction once a certain voltage threshold is reached.

3. What are the benefits of using a Zener Diode connected in series?

There are several benefits to using a Zener Diode connected in series, including its ability to regulate voltage and provide protection against voltage spikes. It also has a fast response time and can handle high levels of current, making it suitable for a variety of applications in electronic circuits.

4. How do I choose the right Zener Diode for my circuit?

The right Zener Diode for your circuit will depend on your specific voltage and current requirements. It is important to select a diode with a breakdown voltage that is slightly higher than the desired output voltage, and also ensure that it can handle the maximum current that will be passing through it.

5. Are there any limitations to using a Zener Diode connected in series?

One limitation of using a Zener Diode connected in series is that it can only regulate voltage up to a certain point. If the input voltage exceeds this point, the diode will no longer be able to maintain a constant output voltage, which can lead to damage or failure. It is also important to consider the power dissipation rating of the diode, as exceeding this limit can also cause damage.