How Does a Capacitor Affect Conductor Motion in a Magnetic Field?

In summary, a question is posed about the motion of a conductor in a capacitor system with a uniform magnetic field. The acceleration of the conductor is found using Newton's second law and the equation of capacitance. The conversation addresses the possibility of induced current flow and the role of the magnetic field and flux. The concept of dielectric breakdown is also mentioned, along with the role of a source in charging the capacitor.
zorro

Homework Statement

This question is a product of my own mind.
The conductor of length l and mass m can slide without friction between two vertical conductors PQ and RS connected through a capacitor of capacitance C. A uniform magnetic field B is setup perpendicular to the plane (of figure). I am interested in finding out the motion of the conductor. We can assume ideal electric contact. The resistance of the wire QR is negligible.

By applying Newton's second law and the equation of capacitance Q=CV
I got the acceleration as a = g/(1 + B2l2C/m ).

As the induced current flows through the capacitor, it gets charged. A time comes when it blocks the current flow. But there will be an induced e.m.f. without any current flow. So there is no magnetic force on the conductor in upward direction.
During that time will the conductor fall through an acceleration g?
If yes then why is the acceleration obtained in my expression independent of current flow (constant)? Does the capacitor get discharged?

Attachments

• cap.jpg
    cap.jpg
    3.6 KB · Views: 366
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Abdul Quadeer said:

Homework Statement

This question is a product of my own mind.
The conductor of length l and mass m can slide without friction between two vertical conductors PQ and RS connected through a capacitor of capacitance C. A uniform magnetic field B is setup perpendicular to the plane (of figure). I am interested in finding out the motion of the conductor. We can assume ideal electric contact. The resistance of the wire QR is negligible.

By applying Newton's second law and the equation of capacitance Q=CV
I got the acceleration as a = g/(1 + B2l2C/m ).

As the induced current flows through the capacitor, it gets charged. A time comes when it blocks the current flow. But there will be an induced e.m.f. without any current flow. So there is no magnetic force on the conductor in upward direction.
During that time will the conductor fall through an acceleration g?
If yes then why is the acceleration obtained in my expression independent of current flow (constant)? Does the capacitor get discharged?

If it is according to your setup that you have a static mag field, there will be no current flow, there will be no Lorentz force in this case, nothing should move.

If you pulse with magnetic field, then Faraday's law apply where

[tex] V\;=\;-\int_C \vec E \cdot d\vec l = \int_S \frac {\partial \vec B }{ \partial t}[/tex]

Where current will flow and you can play with Lorentz force.

Just a thought, I am no expert.

Well its not necessary that there should be a change in magnetic field.
There is a change in area enclosed by the loop formed thereby creating a change in magnetic flux. So induced current will flow.

Abdul Quadeer said:
Well its not necessary that there should be a change in magnetic field.
There is a change in area enclosed by the loop formed thereby creating a change in magnetic flux. So induced current will flow.

If there is no initial motion, why should there be change in total magnetic flux through the loop? If you give the wire a push, theroetically it won't stop anyway because there is no friction!

Also the way you drew, the magnetic field it in the middle of the loop only. If that is the case, increase the size of the loop will not increase the total flux.

Can you show me how to put a drawing like what you did? Thanks.

Last edited:
The conductor accelerates due to its weight acting downwards. Its understood.
Yes you are right about its motion, it doesnot stop - but there is a change in its acceleration.

The magnetic field exists uniformly throughout the region. I represented it using a circle and a cross. Its a way of representation if you don't want to draw crosses everywhere.

Some one help me out!

Sorry for the late reply.
By your expression(which I have verified assuming segments PQ and RS to be of negligible resistance) the acceleration is constant and hence the current in the loop is constant and charge on the capacitor plates is increasing with time.
A time comes when it blocks the current flow
Why will that be? There is no theoretical limit on the charge a plate can bear---the value of E.dl will increase (which is q/c) but flux is increasing with time too. The only possible endgame for this is dielectric breakdown of air when your setup will collapse.
This is unrealistic because you have assumed that sections PQ and RS have no resistance. If they had it the current would have decreased with distance and that would have been a much more complex problem.

aim1732 said:
Why will that be? There is no theoretical limit on the charge a plate can bear---the value of E.dl will increase (which is q/c) but flux is increasing with time too. The only possible endgame for this is dielectric breakdown of air when your setup will collapse.

I read somewhere that a capacitor blocks DC current once it gets charged.

"the value of E.dl will increase (which is q/c) but flux is increasing with time too."

I did not get this :|

Maxwell's Faraday's Equation: Integ[E.dl]=-d(Flux)/dt.
E is conservative and non conservative field resultant.

I read somewhere that a capacitor blocks DC current once it gets charged.
How is a capacitor charged?

By the initial flow of current - the source transfers the charges on the plates of the capacitor.

Source here? How do you think it fixes the charge on capacitor?

Source here is the e.m.f produced due to induced electric field. We can replace the moving conductor by a battery.
The charges flow from this battery to the plates. This build up of charges on the plates creates an electric field which causes a potential drop across the capacitor. The charges/current continues to flow thill the potential across the capacitor equals the e.m.f. of the source.

Yes yes you got it --- the emf increases with time and hence capacitor continues to charge infinitely.

Thanks alot.
That helped :smile:

1. What is the relationship between a capacitor and magnetic field?

A capacitor and magnetic field are two separate components that can interact with each other. When a capacitor is charged, it creates an electric field between its plates. This electric field can then interact with a magnetic field, causing the capacitor to experience a force and possibly move.

2. How do capacitors affect magnetic fields?

Capacitors can affect magnetic fields through induced currents. When a changing magnetic field passes through a capacitor, it can induce a current in the capacitor's plates, causing them to store electrical energy. This stored energy can then be released back into the circuit, affecting the overall magnetic field.

3. Can a capacitor create its own magnetic field?

No, a capacitor cannot create its own magnetic field. It can only interact with existing magnetic fields through induction. The strength of the magnetic field produced by a capacitor is dependent on the strength of the electric field between its plates and the rate of change of the magnetic field it is interacting with.

4. How does the capacitance of a capacitor affect its interaction with a magnetic field?

The capacitance of a capacitor determines the strength of its electric field and therefore affects its interaction with a magnetic field. A higher capacitance means a stronger electric field and a stronger interaction with a magnetic field. It also means the capacitor can store more energy, potentially leading to a stronger magnetic field induction.

5. What are some practical applications of using a capacitor and magnetic field together?

There are many practical applications of using a capacitor and magnetic field together. One example is in electric motors, where capacitors are often used to help start and regulate the motor's magnetic field. Another example is in wireless charging, where a capacitor can store energy from a magnetic field and then release it to charge a device wirelessly. Additionally, capacitors and magnetic fields are commonly used in electronic circuits to filter out unwanted signals and improve the overall performance of the circuit.