How Do You Calculate Tension and Force Components in a Supported Beam Scenario?

In summary, the tension in the wire is 1320cos50+1960*9.8 and the vertical force is 1320sin30+1960*9.8, while the horizontal force is 1320cos30+1960*9.8.
emerica1254

Homework Statement

A 1320-N uniform beam is attached to a vertical wall at one end and is supported by a cable at the other end. A 1960-N crate hangs from the far end of the beam. Using the data shown in the figure, find (a) the magnitude of the tension in the wire and the magnitudes of the (b) horizontal and (c) vertical components of the force that the wall exerts on the left end of the beam.
ch09p_20.gif

Homework Equations

F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm pretty stuck on this, if someone could give me some advice that would be very helpful.

Physics news on Phys.org
hi emerica1254! :smile:

you'll need one moment and two directions :wink:

Can you clarify a little more?

hi emerica1254! :wink:

show us what you've tried, and where you're stuck, and then we'll know how to help! :smile:

Ive tried tension of rope =1320cos50+1960*9.8
Vertical force= 1320sin30+1960*9.8
Horizontal force= 1320cos30+1960*9.8

Last edited by a moderator:
I was using the forces from the weight of the box and bar and l also used the angle. Don't i need a length to use torque?

call the length L …

it'll cancel out in the end anway :smile:

I'm still not getting the right answer and the only equations i can think of using are the ones i already tried.

show us your moments equation

I'm not sure what you mean, are you talking about inertia? i know I=1/3*M*L squared for the beam
and Torque= I*angular acceleration

Last edited by a moderator:

What is tension?

Tension is the force that is exerted on an object when it is pulled or stretched. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

What is the difference between tension and force?

While tension and force are both types of forces, the main difference is that tension is a pulling force exerted by a material, while force is a general term for any interaction that causes an object to accelerate or change its motion.

How do you calculate tension?

Tension can be calculated using the formula T = F * cos(θ), where T is tension, F is the force being exerted, and θ is the angle between the force and the direction of the object.

What factors affect tension?

The amount of tension on an object is affected by several factors, including the magnitude of the force being applied, the angle of the force, and the strength and elasticity of the material the force is being applied to.

How can tension be used in real life?

Tension is a common concept in engineering and is used in many real-life applications. For example, it is used in the design of bridges, cables, and pulley systems. It is also important in sports, such as rock climbing and weightlifting, where tension is used to support and move objects.