Electrical or Mechanical Engineer

In summary, the conversation revolves around a person's struggle between choosing a major in Mechanical Engineering or Electrical Engineering. They currently have a Bachelor's degree in math and are contemplating switching to engineering. The advice given is to try out both courses and see which one they enjoy more, and to make sure the chosen course is accredited by a recognized institute.
NT123
Hi All,

There have probably been topics similar to this already, but I just want to see what people's advice is given my cirumstances. I already have a BSc in math, went to grad school in math for a year and didn't like it, so have gone back to undergrad for ME, which I will be starting next year. I like the sound of ME and it seems really varied and full of possible areas of specialization. However, I haven't up to now been a "taking things apart" kind of guy, and I'm concerned that I might not have the necessary talent for ME. I am good at math, and like some elements more than others (Complex variables for instance, which I know figure into EE quite a bit), and have also really enjoyed an E&M physics course I've taken recently, so I'm beginning to feel that EE might be the way to go. I seem to have more of a natural aptitude for circuits and such than for mechanical devices, but I'm still undecided, and I just wondered if there were any MEs / EEs who could advise me in any way.

Thanks in advance, Nick

Physics news on Phys.org
Well the good news is most university engineering courses share the first year, or most of it anyway. Personally I am a ME and i LOVE it! Can't stand the electrical side of it, apart from logic, then again I'm not a fan of maths. I suggest you get in touch with your uni and discuss the options for changing course after first year, or if you could do an extra module so you have completed both EE and ME first year of the course, but I doubt this will be possible and will put a heavy workload on you. To be honest I'm not a handy man, so i thought i'd struggle with ME too, but in labs when you do the handy stuff, there is alway a lab partner to help and it really does valuable life skills. Just take your time, measure accurately, and then begin work slowly, evenually it should get easier and become natural. But one piece of huge advice i'd give is make sure whatever course you do, it is accredited with a recognised institute like IMechE!

You really do sound like an Electrical Engineering major. Although I'd suggest taking a few of the starting courses for both and see which one you like the most.

What is the difference between an electrical engineer and a mechanical engineer?

An electrical engineer focuses on the design, development, and maintenance of electrical systems, while a mechanical engineer focuses on the design, development, and maintenance of mechanical systems. Electrical engineers work with electricity, electronics, and electromagnetism, while mechanical engineers work with forces, motion, and heat.

What skills are necessary to become an electrical or mechanical engineer?

Strong analytical and problem-solving skills, as well as a solid understanding of math and science, are essential for both electrical and mechanical engineers. Additionally, both roles require knowledge of computer-aided design (CAD) software and the ability to work with a team.

What industries can electrical and mechanical engineers work in?

Electrical and mechanical engineers can work in a variety of industries including aerospace, automotive, manufacturing, telecommunications, and energy. They may also work for government agencies or in research and development.

What are the job responsibilities of an electrical or mechanical engineer?

The specific job responsibilities may vary depending on the industry and company, but in general, electrical and mechanical engineers are responsible for designing, testing, and maintaining systems and equipment. They may also be involved in research, development, and project management.

What education and training is required to become an electrical or mechanical engineer?

To become an electrical or mechanical engineer, one must have a bachelor's degree in engineering from an accredited university. Many employers also prefer candidates with a master's degree or specialized training in a specific field. Additionally, engineers must obtain a Professional Engineer (PE) license in order to practice independently.