Understanding Eye Floaters: Causes, Symptoms, and Treatment Options

• Thread starter phrygian
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Eye
In summary, eye floaters are debris in the eye's vitreous humour that can be seen with an optical microscope. They can resemble shapes of microorganisms, such as the yeast Candida albicans, but a proper diagnosis should be obtained from an ophthalmologist. Flashes in vision may also be a sign of a serious condition, such as retinal detachment, and should be evaluated by a professional.
phrygian
Eye floaters are debris in the eye's vitreous humour, which seem to float over your vision and are extremely annoying.

When using an optical microscope my floaters become extremely clear against the bright background I am viewing, and what I see looks almost exactly like this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Candida_albicans.jpg

Reading forums online many people describe seeing the same thing.

I don't know anything about biology so here is my question, how unique is this structure? If that is what I see, can I be sure that it is in fact candida albicans, or maybe at least narrow it down to a kind of fungus or yeast? Or are there a large amount of micro organisms that could easily give this same appearance?

Thanks for the help

Biology news on Phys.org
phrygian said:
Eye floaters are debris in the eye's vitreous humour, which seem to float over your vision and are extremely annoying.

When using an optical microscope my floaters become extremely clear against the bright background I am viewing, and what I see looks almost exactly like this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Candida_albicans.jpg

Reading forums online many people describe seeing the same thing.

I don't know anything about biology so here is my question, how unique is this structure? If that is what I see, can I be sure that it is in fact candida albicans, or maybe at least narrow it down to a kind of fungus or yeast? Or are there a large amount of micro organisms that could easily give this same appearance?

Thanks for the help

I would be surprised if microorganisms were involved unless you had you significant suppression of your immune system or traumatic damage to your eye(s). The vitreous consists of water supported by a fine collagen network. With aging (even if you're not very old), some of the collagen breaks down into fibrils which become visible and can be annoying.

Also, the vitreous mass shrinks over time and can pull cell debris from the inner lining of the posterior chamber of the eye which contains the vitreous. The retina occupies the posterior (back) portion of this chamber. When vitreous detachment occurs here, it can produce flashes. This is not the same as retinal detachment which also produces flashes and which is more serious.

If you are seeing any flashes, you should get an evaluation by an ophthalmologist to rule out retinal detachment. Also, if you are really concerned about the possibility of microorganisms somewhere in your line of sight, you should get an evaluation. We cannot give diagnoses here.

Last edited:
But what can you say about the picture I linked to? Are there many different biological materials that could produce such shapes or does that characteristic of something in particular?

phrygian said:
But what can you say about the picture I linked to? Are there many different biological materials that could produce such shapes or does that characteristic of something in particular?

Vitreous floaters can easily take the kind a stringy shapes resembling this yeast, Candida Albicans. However, we cannot make diagnoses here. If you are concerned about the situation, you need to see an ophthalmologist.

Last edited:

I can confirm that eye floaters are a common occurrence and are not usually a cause for concern. They are typically caused by small fragments of protein or other substances in the vitreous humour of the eye, which cast shadows on the retina and appear as spots or strings in our vision. While they can be annoying, they are usually harmless and do not require treatment.

In terms of the image you are seeing, it is important to note that the magnification and lighting of an optical microscope can greatly affect the appearance of objects. It is possible that what you are seeing is a type of fungus or yeast, but without further testing, it is impossible to accurately identify the exact organism. Additionally, there are many different types of microorganisms that can appear similar under a microscope, so it is important to consult with a medical professional for a proper diagnosis.

If you are experiencing any other symptoms or concerns, it is always best to consult with an eye doctor for a thorough examination. They can provide more information on the specific cause of your floaters and determine if any treatment is necessary. In the meantime, try to avoid staring at bright backgrounds or objects, as this can make the floaters more noticeable. Thank you for your question and I hope this information helps to alleviate any worries you may have about your eye floaters.

1. What are eye floaters?

Eye floaters are small, dark spots or lines that appear in a person's vision. They are caused by tiny clumps of cells or debris in the vitreous, the gel-like substance that fills the inside of the eye. They can be seen more clearly when looking at a bright, plain background, such as a blue sky or a white wall.

2. Can eye floaters be caused by fungus?

Yes, eye floaters can be caused by a type of fungus called Candida. This fungus can grow in the vitreous and form clumps that appear as floaters in a person's vision. This is known as eye floaters fungus or fungal eye floaters.

3. How common are eye floaters fungus?

Eye floaters fungus is considered rare, accounting for about 1-2% of all cases of eye floaters. It is more common in people with weakened immune systems, such as those with HIV or those who have had an organ transplant. It can also occur in people with diabetes or those who have had eye surgery or trauma.

4. What are the symptoms of eye floaters fungus?

The main symptom of eye floaters fungus is the appearance of dark spots or lines in the vision. These spots may move around or seem to float as the eye moves. In some cases, the spots may also be accompanied by other symptoms such as blurred vision, eye pain, or sensitivity to light.

5. How is eye floaters fungus treated?

If the eye floaters fungus is causing significant vision problems, your eye doctor may recommend a vitrectomy, which is a surgical procedure to remove the vitreous and replace it with a clear solution. However, this is considered a last resort treatment and is only recommended in severe cases. In most cases, eye floaters fungus does not require treatment and will eventually go away on its own.