Binomial Theorem: Is 11n+2 + 122n+1 divisible by 113, 123, or 133 for n in N?

In summary: I think i can't substitute n=0 because Natural numbers is a set of {1,2,3,4...} and it is mentioned in the question n\inN :confused:It is possible that the expression is not divisible by any of those numbers. Calculate the...
Saitama

Homework Statement

If n [itex]\in[/itex] N, then 11n+2 + 122n+1 is divisible by:-

a)113
b)123
c)133

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I did it by substituting different values of n and divided by each of the option. Answer came out to be 133.
But I want to do it step by step using binomial theorem.
When i tried to do it i did it the following way:-

[itex]\Rightarrow[/itex]121(11n) + (12)2n(12)
[itex]\Rightarrow[/itex]121(11n) + (1+11)2n(12)

Now i am not able to think what should i do next? :confused:

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
What I would have done is this- when n= 1 this is 112+ 12= 121+ 12= 133 so if one of those given numbers divides 11n+2+ 122n+ 1, for all n, it must be 133.

To prove that is so, use induction on n. If for, say, n= k, 11k+2+ 122k+1 is divisible by 133, we must have 11k+2+ 122k+1= 133m for some integer m. Then 11(k+1)+2+ 122(k+1)+ 1= 11(11k+ 2)+ 144(122k+1)= 11(11k+2+ 122k+1)+ 133(122k+1= 11(133m)+ 133(122k+1)= 133(11m+ 122k+1) showing that if the expression for n=k is divisible by 133, so is the expression for n= k+1.

But for proving how did you took 133?
I need to solve the question as if i don't know anything about the number 133..:confused:

Last edited:
Use the binomial theorem to expand (11+1)2n+1.

ehild

ehild said:
Use the binomial theorem to expand (11+1)2n+1.

ehild

Till where should i expand it?

What is the last term in the expansion?

ehild

ehild said:
What is the last term in the expansion?

ehild

The last term is (11)2n+1 .
But what's the use of it? :confused:

Pranav-Arora said:
The last term is (11)2n+1 .
But what's the use of it? :confused:

Actually, that is the first term. ;)

What is the last, and let's say the one before the last?

Perhaps you'll see a pattern and perhaps you might be able to say something how to factorize the resulting expression...

I like Serena said:
Actually, that is the first term. ;)

What is the last, and let's say the one before the last?

Perhaps you'll see a pattern and perhaps you might be able to say something how to factorize the resulting expression...

No, this is the last term only, if we solve it like this (1+11)2n+1 we can use (1+x)n expansion...

Pranav-Arora said:
I need to solve the question as if i don't know anything about the number 133..:confused:

He explained it very clearly: for n = 1 the expression 11^(n+2)+ 12^(2n+ 1) equals 133. You are allowed to substitute n = 1 into the expression, aren't you?

RGV

I meant the last term in (11+1)2n+1. That one which is not divisible with 11:smile:.

ehild

Pranav-Arora said:
No, this is the last term only, if we solve it like this (1+11)2n+1 we can use (1+x)n expansion...

Depending on which summation formula you use it's either the first term or the last term. That is of course you're summing a positive integer power, which you are.

ehild said:
I meant the last term in (11+1)2n+1. That one which is not divisible with 11:smile:.

ehild

I will try to work on your suggestions, if i will get any doubt i will ask you...
Thanks for your help everyone! :smile:

Ray Vickson said:
He explained it very clearly: for n = 1 the expression 11^(n+2)+ 12^(2n+ 1) equals 133. You are allowed to substitute n = 1 into the expression, aren't you?

RGV

When i substitute n=1 in 11n+1 + 122n+1, i am not able to get 133...
How you get 133?

Pranav-Arora said:
When i substitute n=1 in 11n+1 + 122n+1, i am not able to get 133...
How you get 133?

You have the wrong expression. ;)

It is: 11n+2 + 122n+1

And try n=0... :smile:

I like Serena said:
You have the wrong expression. ;)

It is: 11n+2 + 122n+1

And try n=0... :smile:

Sorry, i will be careful next time but if i put n=1, i am not able to get 133.
And i cannot substitute n=0 because n[itex]\in[/itex]N :smile:

Pranav-Arora said:
Sorry, i will be careful next time but if i put n=1, i am not able to get 133.
And i cannot substitute n=0 because n[itex]\in[/itex]N :smile:

Ah well, I have been taught to avoid the set ℕ. :smile:
That is because different books say different things about whether 0 is included or not, and you did not specify! So I guess you have been taught that ℕ = ℤ+?

Still, with n=0 you'll get 133, and with n=1 you'll get a multiple of 133! :wink:

Yes we have been taught N=1,2,3,...
But then too, can we substitute n=0? :confused:

Pranav-Arora said:
Yes we have been taught N=1,2,3,...
But then too, can we substitute n=0? :confused:

Look at it this way: if you can proof it for {0,1,2,3,...} which you can, it will surely be true for N too, wouldn't it? :wink:

I like Serena said:
Look at it this way: if you can proof it for {0,1,2,3,...} which you can, it will surely be true for N too, wouldn't it? :wink:

I think i can't substitute n=0 because Natural numbers is a set of {1,2,3,4...} and it is mentioned in the question n[itex]\in[/itex]N :confused:

It is possible that the expression is not divisible by any of those numbers. Calculate the expression for n=1 and see. If the result is divisible by 133 or by any of the other ones prove that it is so for any n by induction. But you can cancel the other ones at once because of the binomial theorem.

ehild

Last edited:
Pranav-Arora said:
That was the first thing I answered:
"What I would have done is this- when n= 1 this is 112+ 12= 121+ 12= 133 so if one of those given numbers divides 11n+2+ 122n+ 1, for all n, it must be 133. "

HallsofIvy said:
That was the first thing I answered:
"What I would have done is this- when n= 1 this is 112+ 12= 121+ 12= 133 so if one of those given numbers divides 11n+2+ 122n+ 1, for all n, it must be 133. "

Sorry, HallsofIvy, I intended to refer to you, but I just forgot somehow. My apologies.

But the expression is 133 for n=0, and not for n=1.

ehild

Ah- and 0 is not a positive integer. Okay, if n= 1, [itex]11^3+ 12^3= 3059[/itex] which is divisible by 133 but not by 113 or 123.

Thanks for your help everyone! :smile:

IF n is a natural number you can substitute it by o , n= 0 ; of course you get 133 in your expression.
then you use the demonstration by recurrence as hallsofIvy did show, there is another method to do this kind of problems but i can't remember its name in English. But the recurrence method works fine so no need for it, just focus and you will understand it.

He should have said n = 0. That gives 133.

RGV

Of course you can substitute n = 0 into f(n) (to get 133). You could substitute n = 3*pi/2 or n = log(147) or anything you want. The question just says that something happens for n in N; it does NOT say you are forbidden from looking at n not in N. Anyway,putting n = 0 give you a number, 133. You can then say: "Oh, let's look at the number 133 to see what happens". You will see that 133 divides f(1), and that is a hint that you might have something that will work for other n. You can try the other two suggestions to see that they fail, even for n = 1.

Anyway, when you said before that you are not allowed to "know" about the number 133, that is false: it is given to you as one of the possibilities.

RGV

1. What is the binomial theorem?

The binomial theorem is a mathematical formula that gives the expansion of a binomial expression raised to any power. It is used to simplify calculations involving binomial expressions and to solve problems in algebra and calculus.

2. How is the binomial theorem written?

The binomial theorem is written as (a + b)^n = a^n + nC1a^(n-1)b + nC2a^(n-2)b^2 + ... + nCra^(n-r)b^r + ... + b^n, where n is a positive integer and a and b are any real numbers.

3. What is the purpose of the binomial theorem?

The binomial theorem is used to expand binomial expressions, which makes it easier to solve problems involving polynomial equations. It also helps in calculating probabilities in statistics and in solving problems in combinatorics.

4. How is the binomial theorem applied in real life?

The binomial theorem is used in various fields such as finance, physics, and engineering. In finance, it is used to calculate compound interest and in physics, it is used to solve problems involving the motion of projectiles. In engineering, it is used in the design and analysis of circuits and in the determination of probabilities in reliability analysis.

5. What are some common mistakes when using the binomial theorem?

Some common mistakes when using the binomial theorem include forgetting to apply the exponent correctly, not using the correct coefficients (nCr), and incorrectly expanding the binomial expression by hand without using the theorem. It is important to carefully follow the steps of the theorem to avoid errors.