Energy as a 5th state of matter?

In summary, the conversation revolved around the relationship between energy and matter in the context of particle physics and antimatter. It was discussed that energy is not a state of matter and cannot be considered as such. The concept of energy density was also touched upon, with the conclusion that energy is not defined as a least dense state of matter. Additionally, the idea of matter being a state of energy was explored but ultimately dismissed.
Brainguy
Hi, I'm new to particle physics, and recently became a little bit interested in antimatter. einstein said that energy is just matter in a different form. I came to that conclusion on my own even before reading about E=mc squared, and I wonder: could energy be considered a state of matter? I thought that it was AMAZING that a gram of water could unleash such energy in total annihilation. That would probably mean that energy is the least dense of all states of matter, because if a liquid, which is realetivelly un-dense is equivelent to ALL this energy, it seems pretty tightly packed in comparison. Now imagine we found an endless supply of antimatter on the moon, and mined millions of kilograms of antititanium. Titanium is the most dense material I could think of off the top of my head, so imagine how much energy could be released! we could have our mining robots back on Earth in a week with antititanium to spare! And I thought nuclear bombs were powerful...
well, thanks for listening!
~Brainguy

Physics news on Phys.org
lol..
Anyway, the state of matter/energy, and the energy/matter of that state are two separate ideas. Energy is not a state of matter. By saying energy and matter are equivalent, your question is equivalent to implying "matter is a state of matter" or "energy is a state of energy". Energy density can be high, just like matter density; energy is not defined as a least dense state of matter.

I'd be more inclined to think of matter as being a state of energy :)

Brainguy said:
Now imagine we found an endless supply of antimatter on the moon

We've had folks ON the moon so for that and other reasons, we are confident that the moon is matter. There's no antimatter there. If you want to even IMAGINE large bodies of antimatter you have have to think of them as floating freely in space (but I believe that has been totally ruled out as well, though I can't quote you a source).

Brainguy said:
could energy be considered a state of matter?
Energy is a property of matter, not a state of matter. A state of matter is distinguished from other states of matter through a phase transition, and not necessarily an energy transfer.

I wouldn't even say energy is a property of matter or anything else. It simply describes the availability for a system to perform work. I see it as more of a "pseudo force" if you get my drift. Saying that a process produces X amount of energy can be restated as the process enables you to enact X amount of change on another system. I wish I could explain it better, but I'm generally horrible at explaining things.

Could one consider matter a state of energy? Could I consider matter to be energy that is compressed and generally stable (for say, a proton or any other elementary particle)?

khemist said:
Could one consider matter a state of energy? Could I consider matter to be energy that is compressed and generally stable (for say, a proton or any other elementary particle)?

I don't think so. I think you stray when you ask "Could I consider matter to be energy that is compressed and generally stable".

Upon thinking about it I think I answered my own question. Thanks for the reality check LOL

What is the 5th state of matter?

The 5th state of matter, also known as the Bose-Einstein condensate, is a state of matter that occurs at extremely low temperatures near absolute zero. It is a phase of matter where a large number of particles behave as a single entity, exhibiting quantum phenomena on a macroscopic scale.

How is energy related to the 5th state of matter?

In the Bose-Einstein condensate, the particles are in a state of minimal energy, meaning they have very low kinetic energy and are extremely close together. This state of matter is characterized by its unique energy properties, such as superfluidity and superconductivity.

What are the applications of the 5th state of matter?

The Bose-Einstein condensate has many potential applications in fields such as quantum computing, precision measurement, and even medical imaging. Its unique properties make it a promising area of research for future technologies.

How is the 5th state of matter created?

The Bose-Einstein condensate is created by cooling a gas of particles, such as atoms or molecules, to extremely low temperatures using lasers and magnetic fields. This process is known as laser cooling and is essential for the formation of the 5th state of matter.

What are the differences between the 5th state of matter and the other four states?

The 5th state of matter differs from the other four states (solid, liquid, gas, and plasma) in several ways. It exhibits quantum properties, such as coherence and entanglement, on a macroscopic scale. It also has unique energy properties, such as superfluidity and superconductivity, which are not present in the other states of matter.