Does google voice search work for you?

In summary, the conversation discusses the new Google hands-free search feature and its accuracy. The speaker mentions having trouble with the feature and needing to speak clearly and limit the search terms for better results. An example is given of searching for a replacement projector bulb and how starting with a general prompt and then adding more specific terms yielded better results.
I_am_learning
You must have heard (and tried) the new (still new?) google hands free (voice dictated) search feature. But It don't work for me. I haven't been able to make it understand even a single word till now. what about u?

Computer science news on Phys.org
I_am_learning said:
You must have heard (and tried) the new (still new?) google hands free (voice dictated) search feature. But It don't work for me. I haven't been able to make it understand even a single word till now. what about u?

I've used it a few times. At first, I needed to increase the volume of my headset - then found it necessary to speak very clearly and limit search to 2 words.

How much accuracy did you get?

I found that if you start with a 1 or 2 word prompt - check the results - and add a 3rd (more descriptive) word the results improve significantly.

An example.

I wanted to look up a replacement lamp for an overhead projector. It's nearly impossible to purchase one of these bulbs at the retail stores that sell the projectors. If they can sell one they quote about $300 - because it includes the base/socket.

The projector takes an 82V 410W FXL bulb. The first prompt was "projector bulb" - bad results. Next attempt was "FXL bulb" - and it provided a few good results. Then I tried "FXL 82" and it found all of the suppliers with prices ranging from $4 to $12 per bulb.

1. How accurate is Google Voice Search?

Google Voice Search is highly accurate, with a reported accuracy rate of over 95%. This means that for every 100 words spoken, 95 of them will be accurately recognized and transcribed by Google Voice Search.

2. Can Google Voice Search understand different accents and dialects?

Yes, Google Voice Search is trained to recognize a wide range of accents and dialects. However, its accuracy may vary depending on the individual's speaking style and the complexity of the words being spoken.

3. Does Google Voice Search work in noisy environments?

Google Voice Search is designed to filter out background noise and focus on the user's voice. However, excessive noise levels can affect its accuracy. It is recommended to use Google Voice Search in a quiet environment for best results.

4. How does Google Voice Search handle homophones and similar sounding words?

Google Voice Search uses advanced algorithms to analyze the context of the words being spoken and make an educated guess on the intended word. However, there may be instances where it may not accurately recognize homophones or similar sounding words.

5. Is Google Voice Search always listening?

Google Voice Search only starts listening after the user activates it by saying "Hey Google" or pressing the microphone button. It stops listening once the user stops speaking or a certain period of silence is detected. Additionally, the user can also turn off the "always listening" feature in the settings.