Maximum pull a of normal magnet

In summary, the conversation covers the maximum pull of a normal magnet and how it compares to an electromagnet of the same pull. The cost and immediate effectiveness of an electromagnet are also discussed. The conversation also includes personal experiences with strong neodymium magnets and tips for making an electromagnet. The difference between AC and DC current for electromagnets is briefly mentioned, as well as the potential hazards of using high currents. Suggestions for finding information on the technical details of electromagnets are also provided.
BasketDaN
What is the maximum pull a normal magnet (non electromagnet) of about the size of a computer mouse could achieve? And how would the cost of this compare to the cost of an electromagnet of the same pull? Also, will an electromagnet achieve it's desired pull immediately when the circuit is closed? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hard to give exact figures, but I've just bought some incredibly strong Neodymium magnets to play with in the Lab. These are AWESOME! If you put a 2" x 3" magnet on a steel surface you can't lift it off!

I bought 10 small 1" round magnets and one big one and when they are together I struggle (and I mean struggle!) to pull them apart. They also jump back together and can really hurt when they pinch your skin. When handling them, you have to hold them tight or they jump out of your hands if they are near another magnet.

I'll see if I can measure the force needed to separate them later this week.

In the meantime - buy some on Ebay. I bought mine from this great Ebay store:
PowerMagnetStore.com

If you need a strong magnet quick , don't bother with permanent magents. Electromagnets do get the full force just about immediatly
(if you can wait the fraction of a second for hysteris).

I used neodymium magnets myself, very extremely powerful, and potentially dangerious.

If you are going to manufacture an electromagnet use iron or something as the core for the inductor. If you can get your hands on some finishing nails, then duct tape them into a role, and then wrap that with wire, it works wonders, just use a nine volt battery at either end of the wire terminals. Their you'll have a magnet stronger then any neodymium magnet you could buy.

Do Not follow the last advice you may explode the batteries -- for some people there is no hope !

Thanks guys.

Is there a significant difference in the power of an electromagnet using AC current and one using DC current?

How long would you guess a few D batteries or 9V or w/e would last that could power an electromagnet with a pull of about 100 pounds? I'm not sure if my question is answerable becuase I don't really know what I'm talking about.

There is no basic reason for AC to be different from DC since AC can be as slow as you like -- however if the AC if fast then you must allow for a) the inductance of the winding which will reduce the current for a given input voltage and b) there are core losses due to hysteresis ( ie. heat produced in the core over and above any dc loss in the winding ). For normal house ac the effects are probably not large .
In any event trying to produce strong electromagnets with house ac is a little dangerous, it would be adviseable to do a few simple calculations on resistance , power , etc to avoid fire hazards aside from the chance of shock -- this is also true of using NI Cads etc you should limit the currents to avoid battery heating ( suggest you contact a supplier for info on this ) I.e. Max allowable sustained current drain .
Ray.

If you have an old computer hard disk it has some really good magnets in it. (and i mean good as in you REALLY don't want to get your finger stuck between them ).
If you can't find one though, making an electromagnet is quite easy, although a bit time consuming. I don't think it will be strong enough to pick up 100 pounds though

Could anybody direct me to a site that explains a fair amount of technical details about how an electromagnet's pull, watt requirements, voltage, size, etc. all relate?

Thanks.

Try 'Howstuffworks' as a start . Ray

What is the maximum pull of a normal magnet?

The maximum pull of a normal magnet refers to the strongest amount of force that the magnet can exert on an object. This force is typically measured in units of Newtons (N) or pounds (lbs).

How is the maximum pull of a normal magnet determined?

The maximum pull of a normal magnet is determined by its physical properties, such as its size, shape, and magnetic field strength. It can also be affected by external factors, such as the material and distance of the object being attracted to the magnet.

What factors affect the maximum pull of a normal magnet?

The maximum pull of a normal magnet can be affected by factors such as temperature, humidity, and the presence of other magnetic fields. These factors can weaken or strengthen the magnet's pull.

Is the maximum pull of a normal magnet the same for all magnets?

No, the maximum pull of a normal magnet can vary depending on the type and quality of the magnet. Some magnets, such as neodymium magnets, have a stronger maximum pull than others.

Can the maximum pull of a normal magnet be increased?

Yes, the maximum pull of a normal magnet can be increased by increasing its magnetic field strength or by using multiple magnets together to create a stronger combined pull.