Lightbulbs flicker due to AC. Why does this not show up in photographs?

• Thread starter quozzy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ac
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of light flickering at a certain frequency due to alternating current in light sources powered by mains. This phenomenon is not noticeable to humans due to the speed of our eyes' refresh rate. However, if a camera is used with a short shutter speed, the flickering may be observed. The reason for this is the heat capacity of the tungsten wire in traditional lightbulbs, which does not allow the energy to dissipate between cycles. Fluorescent lamps may also exhibit flickering, but this is more noticeable with high speed shutters. It is possible to visually detect the flicker using a strobe disk, but the switching frequency of electronic ballasts in modern fluorescent bulbs may make this method ineffective
quozzy
This problem just occurred to me while I was taking photos indoors:

Light sources powered by mains fluctuate in intensity due to alternating current. In other words, a lightbulb will actually flicker on and off at 50Hz/60Hz (or, really, 100Hz/120Hz, since I guess it should be the absolute value) in Europe/US respectively. This is not noticeable to humans because it is faster than the refresh rate of our eyes, so we perceive a constant stream of light.

So far, so good.

But what if we take a camera and adjust its shutter speed to something significantly shorter, such as, say, 1/1000 seconds. We should be able to observe the fluctuation in that, in a succession of photos taken indoors, some will be brighter than others. I just tried this a number of times by taking photos of a lightbulb, and there is no visible difference (either in the photo or on the histogram) between any of the photos. Why is that?

Science news on Phys.org
It is not an on-off flicker - the luminance ratio between max and min is quite small: for typical traditional tungsten lightbulbs it is less than 1/2EV.

The reason is heat capacity of the tungsten wire - it won't radiate all energy from previous half-cycle before the next cycle heats it up again.

There is more flicker in fluorescent lamps - you may spot it on photos made with high speed shutters.

You may find the following interesting:
In an otherwise dark room, turn on a light. Then, put your hand over your eyes, and look in the direction of that light. Then, as simultaneously as possible remove your hand and turn the light off. You'll notice the filament still glowing. The first time I did this I was rather surprised how bright the light was a second after being turned off. You just don't notice it normally because your eyes don't adjust to darkness fast enough. It's worth doing with both traditional and florescent bulbs.

If you hook up a simple photodiode to an oscilloscope and point it at the overhead fluorescent bulbs, you can clearly see the 120 Hz sine wave. If that's the only light in the room I'm sure you could notice differences between photos taken at different times in the cycle if your shutter speed is much faster than 1/120 second, like say 1/1000 second.

Fluorescent bulbs do flicker significantly if they are using a magnetic ballast. However, incandescent bulbs don't flicker very much due to the filament's heat capacity, and compact fluorescent bulbs don't flicker significantly either because they use an electronic ballast that has a much, much higher switching frequency (several kilohertz). In most cases, I doubt that a large percentage of the illumination of a room is from magnetic-ballasted fluorescent lights, so the flicker should not be a terribly significant effect.

It is possible to visually detect the flicker with a simple http://www.google.com/search?q=strobe+disk". As mentioned above, many fluorescent fixtures now use frequencies much higher than the line's 50 or 60 Hz, so a standard strobe disk may not always work.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. Why do lightbulbs flicker due to AC?

Lightbulbs flicker due to AC (alternating current) because the electricity provided by the power grid is constantly changing direction. This causes the lightbulb's filament to heat up and cool down rapidly, resulting in the flickering effect.

2. How does AC cause lightbulbs to flicker?

AC electricity works by changing direction at a certain frequency (usually 50 or 60 times per second). This constant change in direction causes the lightbulb's filament to rapidly heat up and cool down, resulting in the flickering effect.

3. Why does the flickering not show up in photographs?

Photographs are taken at a certain shutter speed, which is the amount of time the camera's shutter is open to capture an image. Since the flickering of lightbulbs due to AC occurs at a much faster rate (50 or 60 times per second), the camera's shutter speed is not fast enough to capture the flickering. Therefore, it does not show up in photographs.

4. Can you stop lightbulbs from flickering due to AC?

Unfortunately, it is not possible to completely stop lightbulbs from flickering due to AC. This is because the flickering is caused by the nature of AC electricity. However, using higher quality lightbulbs or using DC (direct current) electricity can reduce the amount of flickering.

5. Is flickering due to AC harmful to lightbulbs?

Flickering due to AC can shorten the lifespan of lightbulbs. The constant heating and cooling of the filament can cause it to weaken and break over time. However, modern lightbulbs are designed to handle this type of use, so the flickering should not significantly impact their lifespan.