Landau/Lifshitz problem, comment on the result?

• Thread starter Clever-Name
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem in classical mechanics involving a rotating system and the Lagrangian for that system. The question at hand is how to determine the behavior of the system based on the Lagrangian. One potential insight is that the potential energy depends on the value of $\theta$, indicating a restoring force and a tendency for the system to return to its minimum potential energy state.
Clever-Name
So I was debating whether or not to post this in the homework session but I feel the question I'm asking belongs here.

I just worked out a problem for my Classical Mechanics Assignment and while I arrived at the solution I am wonder what 'comment' can be made about the result.

It is from L/L Mechanics, page 12 problem 4.

It asks you to find the Lagrangian for a system that looks like the picture attached that is rotating at a constant angular velocity Omega around the fixed vertical axis.

The Lagrangian comes out to be:

[tex] L = m_{1}a^{2}(\dot{\theta}^{2} + \sin^{2}(\theta)\Omega^{2}) + 2m_{2}a^{2}\sin^{2}(\theta)\dot{\theta}^{2} + 2(m_{1} + m_{2})gacos(\theta) [/tex]

I guess my real question is HOW can you recognize how the system will behave just by looking at the Lagrangian. I realize I could solve the Euler-Lagrange equations and solve for the equation of motion in terms of theta but that isn't what this is asking. I feel like there should be some intuitive description of the system just by looking at the Lagrangian.

Any thoughts?

Attachments

• system.png
    system.png
    12.1 KB · Views: 475
Physics news on Phys.org
One thing you can note from the Lagrangian is that the potential energy depends on the value of $\theta$. This means that the system will have a minimum potential energy when $\theta$ is equal to zero, and a maximum potential energy when $\theta$ is equal to $\pi$. This suggests that the system has some kind of restoring force - i.e. the system will tend to move back to its minimum potential energy state when it is disturbed.

1. What is the Landau/Lifshitz problem?

The Landau/Lifshitz problem is a mathematical physics problem that was first proposed by Lev Landau and Evgeny Lifshitz in 1941. It involves finding the equilibrium state of a ferromagnetic material at absolute zero temperature.

2. What is the significance of the Landau/Lifshitz problem?

The Landau/Lifshitz problem is significant because it helps us understand the behavior of ferromagnetic materials at very low temperatures, which is important for various applications in technology and industry. It also provides a framework for studying phase transitions in other physical systems.

3. Has the Landau/Lifshitz problem been solved?

The Landau/Lifshitz problem has been solved in some special cases, but a general solution has not yet been found. Many researchers continue to work on this problem and make progress towards a complete solution.

4. What are some of the challenges in solving the Landau/Lifshitz problem?

One of the main challenges in solving the Landau/Lifshitz problem is the complexity of the equations involved. The problem also involves studying the behavior of materials at very low temperatures, which can be difficult to simulate and observe experimentally.

5. How does the result of the Landau/Lifshitz problem impact other areas of physics?

The result of the Landau/Lifshitz problem has implications for other areas of physics, such as statistical mechanics and condensed matter physics. It also has applications in various fields, including material science, magnetism, and superconductivity.