Bias voltage required to deplete silicon slab of electrons

In summary, to determine the bias voltage needed for the detector and the capacitance, you need to use the equations V = (Er - 1)*(Eo/2t) and C = Er*Eo/t, respectively. You will also need the dimensions of the electrodes and the relative permittivity of the silicon dielectric.
mitch_1211
I'm having a play around with a simple radiation detector that has 2 electrodes with a slab of uniformly doped silicon in between.

I'd like to know the bias voltage i would need to apply across the electrodes so that the silicon slab is just depleted of electrons (i.e so that positive charge is distributed though out the silicon dielectric) and I also need to know the capacitance of the detector at this voltage, but for that I think I can simply use C = q/v (not sure how to calculate charge here)

I know the dimensions of the electrodes and thickness of silicon and I have a good approximation of the relative permittivity of the silicon dielectric.

Any pointers would help a lot

Physics news on Phys.org
! Thanks.To calculate the bias voltage, you need to use the equation V = (Er - 1)*(Eo/2t) where Er is the relative permittivity of the silicon dielectric, Eo is the permittivity of free space, and t is the thickness of the silicon slab. Then you can calculate the capacitance using the equation C = Er*Eo/t.

1. What is the purpose of applying a bias voltage to deplete a silicon slab of electrons?

The purpose of applying a bias voltage is to create an electric field that will attract the majority of the free electrons in the silicon slab towards the positive terminal, leaving behind a layer of positively charged ions. This depletion region allows for better control of the flow of current through the silicon slab.

2. How does the bias voltage affect the depletion width in a silicon slab?

The depletion width, also known as the width of the depletion region, is directly proportional to the magnitude of the bias voltage applied. As the bias voltage increases, the depletion width also increases, resulting in a larger region depleted of free electrons.

3. What happens to the depletion width when the bias voltage is reversed?

When the bias voltage is reversed, the depletion width decreases and the majority of free electrons are attracted back to the depletion region, resulting in a smaller depletion width. This allows for the flow of current through the silicon slab.

4. Is the bias voltage required to deplete a silicon slab of electrons a constant value?

No, the bias voltage required to deplete a silicon slab of electrons depends on the thickness and doping concentration of the silicon slab. Thinner slabs and higher doping concentrations require lower bias voltages to achieve depletion.

5. Can the bias voltage be adjusted to control the depth of the depletion region in a silicon slab?

Yes, the bias voltage can be adjusted to control the depth of the depletion region. By increasing or decreasing the bias voltage, the depletion region can be made deeper or shallower, respectively. This allows for precise control of the flow of current through the silicon slab.