Exploring the Many Uses for the Human Tail: A Comprehensive List

• Thread starter Loren Booda
  • Start date
In summary, there are various uses for tails in different species. Some examples include balance, grasping, steering, sun protection, and communication. Tails can also be used as weapons, such as in cats and dinosaurs, and as a means of propelling oneself, as seen in fish. Overall, tails serve a variety of functions and are adapted to fit the needs of each species.
Loren Booda
Try your hand at compiling below a list of distinct uses for that missing kink of homo sapiens sapiens - the tail.

Biology news on Phys.org
1) Makes a good extension for an automobile.

You want to know the uses of tails? Okay:
1) balance, such as squirrels in trees
2) grasping, such as monkeys in trees holding on
3) steering, such as certain breeds of sporting dogs (like labrador retrievers) who use their tail as a rudder while swimming
4) sunblock, as in that's tender skin below the tail that you don't want to get sunburnt!
5) flyswatter, such as horses
6) alarm signal, such as for white-tailed deer
7) warning sign, such as skunks

That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

it makes a wonderful sex toy !

*aids in reproduction?

Kitty cats get big fluffy tails when engaged in warfare. It makes them look bigger to their opponents.

Flat tail of "flying" geckos used for steering in the air mid glide.
Fish tails used for propeling themselves through the water.
I forget what the dinosaur with the bone ball tail is called but it must have beat the crap out of predators with that thing. I've also forgotten what the name of the dino with the whip tail is called. I saw a show on it and it was thought that they cracked their tail at twice the speed of sound. I've also forgotten the name of the dinosaur that had a dagger-like bone "knife" on the end of its tail.

1. What is the purpose of the human tail?

The human tail serves a variety of purposes, including balance and stability, communication, and as a tool for manipulation.

2. Are there any health risks associated with having a human tail?

There are currently no known health risks associated with having a human tail. However, it is important to keep the tail clean and to exercise proper care to prevent any potential injuries.

3. Can humans control their tails like animals do?

While human tails do have some degree of voluntary movement, they are not as flexible or controllable as animal tails. Humans have lost the muscles and nerves necessary for full tail control through evolution.

4. How can a human tail be used for communication?

A human tail can be used for communication through various movements, such as wagging to express happiness or flicking to show irritation. It can also be used to convey emotions and intentions in a similar way to body language.

5. Are there any cultural or societal beliefs surrounding human tails?

There are some cultures and societies that view human tails as a symbol of power or spirituality. In some cases, tails have been seen as a mark of evolution or a connection to a person's animalistic nature. However, these beliefs are not universally held and vary across different cultures.