Solving for Compression of Unstretched Spring

In summary, in order to solve the problem of finding the distance the spring is compressed after the collision of two blocks, you need to use the conservation of momentum and the energy stored in the spring. This will allow you to calculate the final velocity of the blocks and the kinetic energy transferred to the spring, which can then be used to determine the distance the spring is compressed.
DavidAp
Block 2 (mass 1.10 kg) is at rest on a frictionless surface and touching the end of an unstretched spring of spring constant 144 N/m. The other end of the spring is fixed to a wall. Block 1 (mass 1.70 kg), traveling at speed v1 = 3.60 m/s, collides with block 2, and the two blocks stick together. When the blocks momentarily stop, by what distance is the spring compressed?

Answer 0.305 m

Relavant Equations
Fsp = -kx

How do I solve for this? I'm given k but what is Fsp? Is there any other way to solve for Fsp?

After scratching my head for a good while I tried something out of pure desperation, despite my gut feeling that it was wrong. I said,

m1v1^2 + m2v2^2 = m1u1^2 + m2u2^2
m1v1^2 = m2u2^2
u2^2 = (m1v1^2)/m2
u2 = sqrt((m1v1^2)/m2)
u2 = sqrt((1.7(3.6)^2)/1.10) = 4.4753

Being unsure about the relationship I said u2 = Fsp. Therefore,
Fsp = -kx
4.4753 = -144x
4.4753/-144 = x
-0.03107 = x

Now, I am way off with this attempt but I'm not quite sure how I'm suppose to approach this problem. Can somebody help explain to me what, and most importantly why, I have to do to solve this problem? I'm having difficulty with this section so baby steps is appreciated :).

Thank you for taking the time to review my question.

Physics news on Phys.org

DavidAp said:
Block 2 (mass 1.10 kg) is at rest on a frictionless surface and touching the end of an unstretched spring of spring constant 144 N/m. The other end of the spring is fixed to a wall. Block 1 (mass 1.70 kg), traveling at speed v1 = 3.60 m/s, collides with block 2, and the two blocks stick together. When the blocks momentarily stop, by what distance is the spring compressed?

Answer 0.305 m

Relavant Equations
Fsp = -kx

How do I solve for this? I'm given k but what is Fsp? Is there any other way to solve for Fsp?

After scratching my head for a good while I tried something out of pure desperation, despite my gut feeling that it was wrong. I said,

m1v1^2 + m2v2^2 = m1u1^2 + m2u2^2
m1v1^2 = m2u2^2
u2^2 = (m1v1^2)/m2
u2 = sqrt((m1v1^2)/m2)
u2 = sqrt((1.7(3.6)^2)/1.10) = 4.4753

Being unsure about the relationship I said u2 = Fsp. Therefore,
Fsp = -kx
4.4753 = -144x
4.4753/-144 = x
-0.03107 = x

Now, I am way off with this attempt but I'm not quite sure how I'm suppose to approach this problem. Can somebody help explain to me what, and most importantly why, I have to do to solve this problem? I'm having difficulty with this section so baby steps is appreciated :).

Thank you for taking the time to review my question.

I think you need to use energy stored in the spring.

When those two masses collide, conservation of momentum will enable you to calculate the speed with which the blocks move after collision. From that velocity you can calculate the Kinetic energy of the blocks.
When they stop, that energy will be transferred to the spring..

What is the formula for calculating compression of an unstretched spring?

The formula for calculating compression of an unstretched spring is: C = (F*k)/S, where C is the compression in meters, F is the applied force in newtons, k is the spring constant in newtons/meter, and S is the cross-sectional area of the spring in square meters.

How do you determine the spring constant of an unstretched spring?

The spring constant of an unstretched spring can be determined by using Hooke's Law, which states that the force applied to a spring is directly proportional to the distance it stretches or compresses. The spring constant can be calculated by dividing the applied force by the resulting displacement of the spring.

What factors can affect the compression of an unstretched spring?

The compression of an unstretched spring can be affected by several factors, such as the applied force, the spring constant, the cross-sectional area of the spring, and the material properties of the spring. Other external factors, such as temperature and humidity, can also affect the compression of a spring.

Can the compression of an unstretched spring be negative?

Yes, the compression of an unstretched spring can be negative. This occurs when the applied force causes the spring to stretch instead of compress. In this case, the resulting displacement of the spring will be in the opposite direction of the applied force, resulting in a negative value for compression.

How can the compression of an unstretched spring be measured?

The compression of an unstretched spring can be measured using various instruments such as a ruler, a caliper, or a displacement sensor. The displacement of the spring can also be measured by recording the change in length of an object attached to the spring or by measuring the deflection of the spring from its equilibrium position.