Comparing Forces and Power in a Pulley System: Help with Multiple Choice

• Thread starter Phyzix
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Choice
Power supplied is proportional to the product of the force and the velocity. Since block B is raised twice as fast, the power supplied must be twice that of block A. Therefore, FB must be equal to 2 times FA and PB must be equal to 2 times PA, making b) the correct answer. In summary, the conversation discusses two identical blocks being lifted at constant velocity by ropes over frictionless pulleys. Block B is raised twice as fast as Block A, causing the power supplied to be twice as much as well. The statement that correctly represents this scenario is b) FB = 2 FA; PB = 2 PA. The reasoning behind this answer is that power is proportional to the product of force and velocity,
Phyzix
Help please--multiple choice

Two identical blocks are lifted at constant velocity by ropes that run over frictionless pulleys, as shown in the diagram. Block B is raised twice as fast as Block A. The magnitudes of the forces are respectively FA and FB, while the power supplied is respectively PA and PB. Which statement is correct?

a. FB = FA; PB = PA.
b. FB = FA; PB = 2 PA.
c. FB = 2 FA; PB = PA.
d. FB = 2 FA; PB = 2 PA.
e. PA = FA; PB = FB.

Physics news on Phys.org
I believe it's d).Tell us what u think and bring arguments.That's the only way to check and (probably) correct your reasoning.

Daniel.

Phyzix said:
Two identical blocks are lifted at constant velocity by ropes that run over frictionless pulleys, as shown in the diagram. Block B is raised twice as fast as Block A. The magnitudes of the forces are respectively FA and FB, while the power supplied is respectively PA and PB. Which statement is correct?
Since you did not supply the diagram, we can only guess as to the arrangement of the pulleys. Assuming that both ropes run over single pulleys...

What does "constant velocity" tell you about the force needed? How does power depend upon speed?

dextercioby said:
I believe it's d).Tell us what u think and bring arguments.That's the only way to check and (probably) correct your reasoning.

Daniel.

d?? I think it's a) - because it is at a constant velocity.

futb0l said:

At equal velocities but different times,does it mean the same force??

Daniel.

futb0l said:
Both d) and a) are half right. :smile: But more important than the answer is the reasoning behind it (as Daniel would say).

Ooops - I meant b)... since power is F*v since b has 2v, then the power of b will be twice as much as a. Since it is at equillibrium then Fa = Fb.

I agree: b) is the correct answer.

Me too. Distance traveled by 1s : Distance traveled by 1s=1:s
Hence PA: PB=1:2

What is a "Help please-multiple choice" question?

A "Help please-multiple choice" question is a type of question that presents a statement or question followed by several possible answers or options. The person answering the question is required to choose the correct answer from the options provided.

Why are "Help please-multiple choice" questions useful?

"Help please-multiple choice" questions are useful because they allow for efficient and standardized assessment of knowledge and understanding on a particular topic. They also provide immediate feedback to the person answering the question, allowing them to identify areas of weakness and review the material further if needed.

How do you create a good "Help please-multiple choice" question?

To create a good "Help please-multiple choice" question, start by identifying the main concept or idea that you want to assess. Next, come up with several plausible answer options, making sure to include one correct answer and several distractors that are similar to the correct answer. Finally, make sure the question and answer options are clear, concise, and free of bias.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when creating "Help please-multiple choice" questions?

Some common mistakes to avoid when creating "Help please-multiple choice" questions include having answer options that are too similar, using ambiguous or confusing language, and having more than one correct answer. It is also important to avoid including answer options that are obviously incorrect or irrelevant to the question.

How can "Help please-multiple choice" questions be used in scientific research?

"Help please-multiple choice" questions can be used in scientific research to gather data on a particular topic or to assess participants' knowledge and understanding. They can also be used in surveys or questionnaires to collect data from a large number of participants in a standardized manner. However, it is important to ensure that the questions are well-designed and unbiased in order to obtain reliable and valid results.