Long Jump Physics: Speed, Flight & Acceleration

In summary: You can use the Hooke's law equation to calculate the distance jumped.h=Gx/dx dx is the distance moved in the x direction.h is the height of the jump.G is the gravitational force.
Blashyrkh
!urgently! long jump physics

I need the physics of the long jump. What happens between the start and the landing. I'll be grateful if you could apply formulas for the acceleration, speed, flight, etc. Thanks in advance :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
First off, anything marked as urgent normally gets ignored.

Second, you should post a whole lot more about your own thoughts and all the work you have tried to do on the problem already, or you will probably get ignored.

People around here are more than happy to help guide you in problems... but are dead set against doing it for you.

I've been misunderstood.
I don't want you to do it for me. I just need help with these formulas. Should I use the one for body thrown near the surface? I didn't manage to find it, and so I don't know how to calculate the distance jumped if the man runs with approximately 30 km/h and weights about 80 kilograms.

The length of the jump depends on two things:

The horizontal component of the speed.

The time that the jumper can remain clear of the ground. This in turn depends on the vertical component of the speed.

For a given speed, the optimum take off angle to produce the longest jump would be 45 degrees. But real long jumpers don't achieve anywhere near this.

A complicating factor is that a long jumper has her centre of mass higher above the ground at take-off than at landing. At take-off, she will hold her arms fairly high, and stand pretty much as tall as possible. At landing, she will have her legs bent, her arms and head held low. In a sense you could say that she alters the position of her centre of mass so as to effectively jump downhill.

Yeah, this one is tricky as I do not think you could model the jumper as a particle. If you could, then it would be as easy as projectile motion. But the alterate center of mass wouldn't allow that.

You have to view it in the center of mass frame of reference.

So I can't use this

x=vxvxsin2a/2g

a means alpha. (sorry but I've never wrote this kind of stuff before :biggrin:)
v is the speed when the jumper lifts off, and a is the angle.

Last edited:

1. How does speed affect a long jump?

Speed is a crucial factor in a long jump as it determines the distance an athlete can cover. The faster an athlete runs, the more momentum they can generate, allowing them to jump farther. This is because of the principle of inertia, where an object in motion tends to stay in motion.

2. What role does acceleration play in a long jump?

Acceleration is the rate at which an object's speed changes. In a long jump, acceleration is crucial as it allows the athlete to increase their speed before takeoff. The more acceleration an athlete can generate, the more speed they can carry into the jump, resulting in a longer jump.

3. How does flight time affect a long jump?

Flight time refers to the amount of time an athlete spends in the air during a long jump. It is affected by the speed and angle of takeoff, as well as the athlete's body position during the jump. A longer flight time allows the athlete to cover more distance and achieve a longer jump.

4. What is the optimal angle for a long jump?

The optimal angle for a long jump is around 45 degrees. This allows the athlete to achieve the maximum distance by balancing the horizontal and vertical components of the jump. If the angle is too steep, the athlete may not cover enough distance, and if it is too shallow, they may not achieve enough height.

5. How do factors like wind and surface conditions affect a long jump?

Wind and surface conditions can have a significant impact on a long jump. A strong tailwind can help increase an athlete's speed and distance, while a headwind can slow them down. The surface conditions, such as the hardness or softness of the ground, can also affect an athlete's takeoff and landing, potentially impacting their jump distance.