DC-DC power conversion and voltage regulators

In summary: If the current will be more than say, 100mA, then a switching regulator should do the job okay. For lesser currents, you could discard the excess using a 3V zener diode, this may be about as efficient (0.3W losses).
ramonegumpert
dear Experts

Voltage regulators maintain steady output voltage.
DC-DC step up or down converters (aka inverting switching regulators or boost converters) act like DC 'transformers'.

I like to confirm that when I step down voltage, the current will increase when i use either of them.

Which is more efficient in increasing the current for step-down scenarios?

Please could you comment on this?

Thanks very much.

Best regards
Ramone

Engineering news on Phys.org
ramonegumpert said:
dear Experts

Voltage regulators maintain steady output voltage.
DC-DC step up or down converters (aka inverting switching regulators or boost converters) act like DC 'transformers'.
I like to confirm that when I step down voltage, the current will increase when i use either of them.
Which is more efficient in increasing the current for step-down scenarios?
Please could you comment on this?
Thanks very much.
Best regards
Ramone

Hi Ramone! Please refrain from inventing new terms like "DC transformers". To communicate clearly in the electronics world we all need to use the same terms with definitions agreed upon. This is how we avoid misunderstandings and miscommunications.

"A DC-to-DC converter is an electronic circuit which converts a source of direct current (DC) from one voltage level to another. It is a class of power converter."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DC-to-DC_converter

As for increasing the current, that always depends on several variables, so it is impossible to directly answer your questiion. If we specify the load resistance, the converter's output capacity, etc., then we could begin to predict output current.

As for efficiency, some types are notorious for being inefficient, but used anyway for various reasons. In other cases like battery operated devices, different types are used because they are more efficient. Study the various types and their efficency.

And if you have any more questions or doubts, come right back here and post them.

Bobbywhy

ramonegumpert said:
In general that's true, though the circuit takes some power for its own use and to account for losses as heat. What DC levels are you interested in dropping from and to, and at what currents?

NascentOxygen said:
In general that's true, though the circuit takes some power for its own use and to account for losses as heat. What DC levels are you interested in dropping from and to, and at what currents?

Hello NascentOxygen

Thanks for your reply.
The DC levels I am interested in are :

From 9V DC to 6V DC.

Thanks!

Hi BobbyWhy
So sorry for using the wrong terms . I have noted and will refrain from using improper terms.
I did not mean to purposely confuse people. I am not very knowledgeable in this area.

Have a nice day.

regards
Ramone

ramonegumpert said:
Hi BobbyWhy
So sorry for using the wrong terms . I have noted and will refrain from using improper terms.
I did not mean to purposely confuse people. I am not very knowledgeable in this area.

Have a nice day.

regards
Ramone

Hey Ramone! Spoken like a true scientist or engineer!

Cheers, Bobbywhy

ramonegumpert said:
The DC levels I am interested in are :

From 9V DC to 6V DC.
If the current will be more than say, 100mA, then a switching regulator should do the job okay. For lesser currents, you could discard the excess using a 3V zener diode, this may be about as efficient (0.3W losses).

Last edited:

1. What is DC-DC power conversion?

DC-DC power conversion is the process of converting one DC voltage level to another DC voltage level. This is typically achieved using a DC-DC converter, which takes in a DC input voltage and uses switching techniques to produce a regulated output voltage.

2. What is the purpose of a voltage regulator?

A voltage regulator is used to maintain a constant voltage level in an electrical circuit. This is important for ensuring that sensitive electronic components receive the correct voltage and do not get damaged.

3. What is the difference between a linear and a switching voltage regulator?

A linear voltage regulator operates by continuously dissipating excess energy as heat in order to maintain a constant output voltage. In contrast, a switching voltage regulator uses high-frequency switching to regulate the output voltage, resulting in higher efficiency and less heat dissipation.

4. What are the main factors to consider when selecting a DC-DC converter?

Some important factors to consider when selecting a DC-DC converter include the input and output voltage levels, output current and power requirements, efficiency, size and form factor, and any special features or protections needed for the specific application.

5. What are the common applications of DC-DC power conversion and voltage regulators?

DC-DC power conversion and voltage regulators are widely used in electronic devices and systems, including computers, mobile devices, industrial equipment, and renewable energy systems. They are also commonly used in automotive and aerospace applications for powering various electronic components.