Defining an Arbitrary Axis

• Thread starter mattsap
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Axis
In summary, Matt is trying to find a solution to a problem in which he needs to find a vector that is perpendicular to a plane and normal to a vector. He has found that a vector is perpendicular to a plane if and only if the dot product is equal to 0, and that a particular solution would be the following: find the first non-zero component of u, set components vb and vc to any non-zero value, solve for va, make ua, ub, and uc a unit vector, and divide each component by the length of v.
mattsap
Hello,

I'm trying to define an axis as a set of 3 unit vectors--u, v, and w. at a given point P

Suppose we are given the following vector u. From this vector u, we must define a plane such that u is normal to the plane. This plane will be represented by two perpendicular vectors v and w.

There are infinite many solutions to this problem; however, I am writing a computer program to do this, so step by step algorithm is needed. I know that once we find v, w will be the cross product of u and v.

My problem is to find v.

Any suggestions?
-Matt =)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
So, what I've found out is that a vector u is perpendicular to a vector v if and only if the dot product is equal to 0. That being said, a particular solution would be the following:

Dot Product Equation: u1v1 + u2v2 + u3v3

Step one: Find the first non-zero component of u--let's call this ua and name the remaining components ub and uc.

That is (ua)(va) + (ub)(vb) + (uc)(vc) = 0; ua != 0

Step two: Set components vb and vc to any non-zero value. (I will choose vb = vc = 1)

That is (ua)(va) + ub + uc = 0

Step three: solve for va.

va = (-ub -uc)/ua

Step four: Make ua, ub, and uc a unit vector by dividing each component by the length of v-- sqrt (va^2 + vb^2 + vc^2).

Hope this helps =)

I believe you've rediscovered the Gram-Schmidt orthonormalization procedure.

All you need here is the vector u and a basis of three vectors that you already know span the space--x, y, and z.

Your first basis vector is [itex]u[/itex]. The second basis vector is [itex]v = x - \hat u \cdot x[/itex]. The third basis vector is [itex]w = y - \hat u \cdot y - \hat v \cdot y[/itex]. These vectors all need to be normalized when you're done, and in general, you need three vectors (x, y, and z) in case one of these vectors is aligned perfectly with u or v, but this can be handled simply.

If I understood correctly you have a vector at a point and you want the plane that passes through that point and in normal to the vector, right? I am also not sure why you would need 2 normal vectors to define the plane.

The general equation of a plane is [itex]f(x,y,z)=ax+by+cz+d=0[/itex]. You need three equations to find the constants.

The first is that the plane is passing through the vector origin, which gives you "d".

Now, your normal vector is [itex]\nabla f=ai+bj+ck[/itex]. This is the vector that you already have, which means that the plane's coefficients a,b,c are simply the components of your vector. There is not even a need to find the unit normal :wink:

If all you want is the axis that the vector defines, you can always dot product it with i,j,k to find its components, and you get the axis in vector form directly.

Last edited:

Hello Matt,

Defining an arbitrary axis can be a complex task, but it is essential for many scientific applications. In this case, it seems that you are trying to define an axis as a set of three unit vectors at a given point P. To do this, you will need to find two perpendicular vectors v and w that, together with the given vector u, form a plane where u is normal to the plane.

As you mentioned, there are infinite solutions to this problem. However, since you are writing a computer program, a step-by-step algorithm is needed to ensure a consistent and accurate result. One approach could be to first normalize the given vector u to make it a unit vector. Then, using the cross product, you can find the vector w by taking the cross product of u and v. This will give you a vector that is perpendicular to both u and v, and therefore, perpendicular to the plane defined by u and v.

To find v, you can use the Gram-Schmidt process, which is a mathematical method for finding an orthogonal basis from a set of vectors. This will ensure that v is perpendicular to u and w, and therefore, perpendicular to the plane defined by u and v. The resulting v and w vectors will form an orthogonal basis with the given vector u, defining the arbitrary axis you are looking for.

I hope this helps and provides a starting point for your algorithm. Best of luck with your research!

1. What is an arbitrary axis?

An arbitrary axis is a reference line or plane that is chosen by the researcher for convenience or simplicity in conducting experiments or analyzing data. It is not based on any specific physical or mathematical properties of the system being studied.

2. Why is it important to define an arbitrary axis?

Defining an arbitrary axis allows for a consistent and standardized reference point in scientific experiments and analyses. It also allows for easier comparison and communication of results between different researchers or studies.

3. How is an arbitrary axis chosen?

An arbitrary axis can be chosen in any direction or orientation, as long as it is clearly defined and consistent throughout the experiment. It can be chosen based on the geometry of the system, the direction of the applied force, or any other convenient reference point.

4. What are the limitations of using an arbitrary axis?

The use of an arbitrary axis may introduce bias or error in the analysis, as it is not based on any specific physical properties of the system. It may also limit the accuracy of measurements or calculations.

5. Can an arbitrary axis be changed during an experiment?

Ideally, an arbitrary axis should remain consistent throughout an experiment. However, in some cases, it may be necessary to change the axis to better represent the system or to account for unforeseen factors. If this is done, it is important to clearly document and explain the change in the analysis.