Well-defined map: transvections in symmetric space

In summary: Your name]In summary, the proof for the isometry group of a symmetric space being a Lie group involves a lemma that states the map (p, q) \mapsto \tau_p(q) is a smooth function. This means that for any two points p and q on the symmetric space, the value of \tau_p(q) will depend smoothly on the points p and q. This is because the transvections are defined in such a way that they always map one specific point (p_0) to another point (p), making the map well-defined.
Sajet
Hi!

I'm trying to understand a proof for the fact that the isometry group of a symmetric space is a Lie group. The proof uses a lemma and I don't see how the lemma works. Here is the statement in question:

Let [itex]M[/itex] be a symmetric space with involutions [itex]s_p[/itex], transvections [itex]\tau_v[/itex] and a point [itex]p_0 \in M[/itex]. Then:

[itex]\tau_p(q)[/itex] depends smoothly on [itex](p, q) \in M \times M[/itex] where [itex]\tau_p[/itex] is [itex]\tau_v[/itex] such that [itex]\tau_v(p_0) = p.[/itex]

(Let me give you the definition for [itex]\tau_v[/itex]: Let M be a symmetric space and [itex]c:\mathbb R \rightarrow M[/itex] a geodesic with [itex]p = c(0), v = \dot c(0).[/itex] Then for [itex]t \in \mathbb R[/itex] the isometries

[itex]\tau_{tv} = s_{c(t/2)}\circ s_{c(0)}[/itex]

are called transvections.)

I don't see how the map [itex](p, q) \mapsto \tau_p(q)[/itex] is even well-defined. There can be more than one transvection mapping [itex]p_0[/itex] to [itex]p[/itex], and different transvections will in general give different values [itex]\tau_p(q)[/itex].

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

Thank you for your question. I understand that the proof for the isometry group of a symmetric space being a Lie group can be confusing, especially when it involves a lemma. Let me try to explain it in simpler terms.

First, let's define what a symmetric space is. A symmetric space is a smooth manifold where each point has an involution (a transformation that is its own inverse) and this involution preserves the geometry of the space. This means that if you apply the involution to any point on the space, the distance and angles from that point to other points will remain the same.

Now, let's look at the lemma in question. It states that for a symmetric space M with involutions s_p and transvections \tau_v, the map (p, q) \mapsto \tau_p(q) is a smooth function. This means that for any two points p and q on the symmetric space, the value of \tau_p(q) will depend smoothly on the points p and q. In other words, if you move p and q slightly, the value of \tau_p(q) will also change smoothly.

The reason for this is because the transvections are defined in such a way that they always map one specific point (p_0) to another point (p). This means that for any given point p, there is only one transvection that maps p_0 to p. Therefore, the map (p, q) \mapsto \tau_p(q) is well-defined and depends only on the points p and q.

I hope this helps to clarify the lemma and how it relates to the isometry group of a symmetric space being a Lie group. If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask. Thank you for your interest in this topic.

1. What is a well-defined map?

A well-defined map is a function that is unambiguous and consistent in its output. This means that for every input, there is only one possible output, and the output does not change based on the representation of the input.

2. What are transvections in symmetric space?

Transvections are a type of geometric transformation in symmetric space, which is a type of mathematical space that has a symmetry group acting on it. Transvections are used to move points in symmetric space along a specific direction or axis.

3. How are transvections used in well-defined maps?

Transvections are used in well-defined maps to preserve the structure and symmetry of the space. They are used to map points in the space to new points while maintaining the same symmetries. This ensures that the map is well-defined and consistent.

4. What are some examples of well-defined maps using transvections in symmetric space?

One example is the well-defined map that transforms a point in the Euclidean plane to a point on the sphere using transvections. Another example is the well-defined map that transforms a point in hyperbolic space to a point on the Poincaré disk using transvections.

5. Why are well-defined maps using transvections important in mathematics?

Well-defined maps using transvections are important because they allow for the study and analysis of geometric spaces with symmetries. They also have applications in fields such as geometry, topology, and differential equations. Additionally, they help to understand and solve problems in physics and engineering related to symmetry and transformations.