Computing arc length in Poincare disk model of hyperbolic space

In summary, Thurston is describing how the hyperbolic metric works in terms of the Euclidean metric and the arc length. He says that you can solve for the arc length by using the geodesic equation and then using the Gamma symbols to get the Christoffel symbols.
owlpride
I am reading Thurston's book on the Geometry and Topology of 3-manifolds, and he describes the metric in the Poincare disk model of hyperbolic space as follows:

... the following formula for the hyperbolic metric ds^2 as a function of the Euclidean metric x^2:

[tex]ds^2 = \frac{4}{(1-r^2)^2} dx^2[/tex]

I don't understand how what ds^2 means or how to use this formula to compute distances and arc lengths. A naive guess is that the arc length should be given by

[tex]s = \int_a^b \sqrt{ds^2}[/tex]

but that doesn't seem to give me the correct answer. For example, take a point with Euclidean distance r from the origin. What is its distance in the hyperbolic metric?

I know that the distance should be the arc length of the straight line connecting 0 to x, since the straight line through the origin is a geodesic in the hyperbolic metric. My guess would give me an arc length of

[tex]s = \int_0^r \frac{2}{1-x^2} dx = 2 arctanh(r)[/tex]

However, another website claims that the answer should be log(1+r)/log(1-r).

Can someone help?

Physics news on Phys.org
There are some mistakes in your claims.
First of all the expression for the metric cannot be "square-rooted" so easily, in fact
[tex] \mathrm{d}x^2 = \mathrm{d}x^i\mathrm{d}x_i = \mathrm{d}x^2+\mathrm{d}y^2 [/tex]
then the definition of arc length is the integral of the velocity along the curve (i.e. the trajectory), defined as (be careful there can be a sign under the square root, it depends on your convention):
[tex] L = \int^b_a \sqrt{\frac{\mathrm{d}x^{\mu}}{\mathrm{d}t} \frac{\mathrm{d}x^{\nu}}{\mathrm{d}t} g_{\mu\nu}} \mathrm{d}t [/tex]
with [tex] x^{\mu} = \left\{x,y\right\} [/tex] .
So the first thing you have to do is to choose a parametrization of your coordinates and then proceed to compute the integral. Note also that
[tex] r^2 = x^2 + y^2 [/tex]
Let me know if you get the right result! ;)

Oh, I forgot to tell you that you can get [tex] x^{\mu}\left(t\right)[/tex] solving the geodesic equation
[tex] \frac{\mathrm{d}^2 x^{\mu}}{\mathrm{d} t^2} + \Gamma^{\mu}_{\nu\rho}\frac{\mathrm{d} x^{\nu}}{\mathrm{d} t}\frac{\mathrm{d} x^{\rho}}{\mathrm{d} t} = 0 [/tex]

Thanks, but I'm not really sure what to do with the information you just gave me. What does [tex]g_{\mu\nu}[/tex] mean? Do I really need to compute the Christoffel symbols? If yes, how would I compute them from "ds^2"?

All I care about right now is the simplest way to get from "ds^2" to arc length. If I don't absolutely need to compute all the other crap, I'd rather not.

Last edited:
[tex] g_{\mu\nu} [/tex] is the metric of your space. In fact, [tex] \mathrm{d} s^2 = g_{\mu\nu} \mathrm{d} x^{\mu} \mathrm{d} x^{\nu} [/tex]
In your case g is a square 2x2 diagonal matrix with the function [tex] \frac{4}{\left(1-r^2\right)^2} [/tex] as each element. You can also write [tex] g_{\mu\nu} = \frac{4}{\left(1-r^2\right)^2} \delta_{\mu\nu} [/tex]. This is how I'd solve the problem, I don't know if there is a faster way! =)
The Christoffel symbols are easily computed from g using the usual form for the Levi Civita connection symbols:
[tex] \Gamma^{\mu}_{\nu\rho}= \frac{1}{2} g^{\mu\lambda}\left(\partial_{\nu}g_{\lambda \rho} + \partial_{\rho}g_{\nu \lambda } - \partial_{\lambda}g_{\nu \rho}\right) [/tex]

1. What is the Poincare disk model of hyperbolic space?

The Poincare disk model is a way of representing hyperbolic space on a two-dimensional disk. It is named after mathematician Henri Poincare and is one of several models used to visualize and study hyperbolic geometry.

2. How is arc length computed in the Poincare disk model?

In the Poincare disk model, arc length is computed using the hyperbolic metric, which is a function that assigns a length to each curve in hyperbolic space. This length is calculated using the hyperbolic distance formula, which takes into account the curvature of the space.

3. What is the formula for computing arc length in the Poincare disk model?

The formula for computing arc length in the Poincare disk model is L = ∫√((dx^2 + dy^2)/(1 - x^2 - y^2)^2), where L is the length of the curve and x and y are the coordinates of the points on the curve.

4. Can arc length in the Poincare disk model be approximated?

Yes, arc length in the Poincare disk model can be approximated using numerical methods. This involves dividing the curve into smaller segments and calculating the length of each segment using the hyperbolic distance formula. The lengths of these segments are then added together to approximate the total arc length.

5. How is arc length in the Poincare disk model used in practical applications?

Arc length in the Poincare disk model has various applications in mathematics, computer science, and physics. It is used to study the properties of hyperbolic space and to model complex systems. It is also used in the design of algorithms for computing shortest paths and in the development of hyperbolic geometry-based computer graphics.