Creating a Formula: Force of Gravity at Different Elevations

In summary, the formula for the force of gravity at different elevations can be found using Newton's Law of Universal Gravitation, which states that Fg = (G * m1 * m2) / (r+x)^2, where G is the gravitational constant, m1 and m2 are the masses of the two objects, r is the radius of the Earth, and x is the elevation. The total distance from the center of mass of the Earth to a point mass at an elevation x is x + r. This can be simplified to Fg = (G * m1 * m2) / (R+h)^2, where h is the elevation and R is the radius of the Earth. This formula assumes that
ChrisP2006
I really really need help with his..

How can I make a formula that will give me the force of gravity at different elevations? Like.. x would be elevation and the y would be the force of gravity. I know I have to use Newton's law of Univerisal gravitation and sutff, but I don't know where to go. Thanks..

Physics news on Phys.org
Give the expression for Newton's law of gravitation. Remember that the gravitational force can be taken to act from the center of mass of the Earth, which can be presumed to be the center of an (assumed) spherical Earth. The total distance between a point mass at an elevation x and the center of the Earth is [tex]x + R[/tex], where R is the radius of the Earth.

Hm..

I am still very confused. When using the Universal Law.. I understand that Fg in the law is what I need to find.. and I also understand that if you graph what I'm looking for, you would get an inverse.. But after that.. I'm really lost.

would it be something like: y = G * 1/(r+x)^2 ?

r being the radius of the earth, G being the constant, x being the elevation, and y being the force of gravity?

Last edited:
According to classical theory, the force of gravity would be
[tex] \frac{G m_1 m_2} {R^2} [/tex]

R being the distance from the centre of gravity. Since you want to find the force of gravity on a body elevated from the surface of the Earth by [tex] h [/tex] ,assuming the Earth is spherical, the total distance from the centre of gravity is [tex]r + h[/tex], where r is the radius of the earth. I'll leave the rest to you.

Last edited:

1. What is the formula for calculating the force of gravity at different elevations?

The formula for calculating the force of gravity at different elevations is F = G * (m1 * m2 / r^2), where F is the force of gravity, G is the gravitational constant (6.67 x 10^-11 Nm^2/kg^2), m1 and m2 are the masses of the two objects, and r is the distance between the two objects.

2. How does elevation affect the force of gravity?

The force of gravity decreases as elevation increases. This is because the distance between the two objects (such as the Earth and an object on its surface) increases as elevation increases, and according to the formula, the force of gravity is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between the two objects.

3. Does the force of gravity change at different latitudes?

Yes, the force of gravity does change at different latitudes. This is due to the fact that the Earth is not a perfect sphere, so its gravitational pull is not uniform at all points. The force of gravity is strongest at the poles and weakest at the equator.

4. How do you measure the force of gravity at different elevations?

The force of gravity at different elevations can be measured using a variety of instruments, such as a spring scale or a gravimeter. These instruments measure the gravitational pull on an object and can be used to calculate the force of gravity at a specific elevation.

5. Are there any other factors that can affect the force of gravity at different elevations?

Yes, there are other factors that can affect the force of gravity at different elevations. These include the mass and density of the object being measured, as well as the gravitational pull of other nearby objects. In addition, factors such as air resistance and the rotation of the Earth can also have a small impact on the force of gravity at different elevations.