Exploring the Debate: Nerd vs Geek

• Thread starter danne89
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Geek
In summary, Daniel is a geek who doesn't fit the traditional definition of a nerd. He's intelligent and has a lot of interests, but he doesn't fit the stereotype of the socially awkward person who is fascinated by knowledge.
danne89
Are you a nerd?
The definition from wikipedia:
Traditionally, a nerd is a very intelligent but lonely and socially awkward person who is fascinated by knowledge, especially science. Beginning in the late 1990s, many nerds on the Internet reclaimed the word nerd as a badge of pride, and began using it as a positive description of any technically competent person, with less implication or focus on social awkwardness. There is currently an ongoing dispute as to whether nerd and geek are synonymous, or if not, as to exactly how they differ.

I think I am a nerd. But I actually have some friends.

Physics news on Phys.org
Never been,never will.But sure,when I'm alone,if I'm not working,i'm sleeping.Do nerds sleep as much as i am...?:eek:

Daniel.

P.S.I don't match this one:"(a nerd is a) very intelligent,..."

I think I'm a nerd. I read Slashdot, which claims to be news for nerds. But I know my advisor is a nerd for sure...he made the news, for building a coffee bean roaster out of a vintage, '70s popcorn popper, a pair of thermocouples, variacs, 6-digit HP voltmeters and an old DOS computer, running an algorithm that he'd written up for the temperature control.

http://home.columbus.rr.com/thegramilas/coffee/roaster2.jpg[/URL] [/PLAIN]

I've never seen caffeine dependence listed as a criterion for nerditude (or is it geekiness?) - that's just wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:
Traditionally, a nerd is a very intelligent but lonely and socially awkward person who is fascinated by knowledge, especially science

Im not a nerd in the sense that i am very intelligent, because I am not. But the highlighted part would be true to me, as (i think) I am getting into a deeper and deeper state of despair to say that i have abandoned all of my 'friends'

Bit this if you can. (No it isn't me)
http://www.griggbros.com/images/team/Geek_Central.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Bladibla said:
Im not a nerd in the sense that i am very intelligent, because I am not. But the highlighted part would be true to me, as (i think) I am getting into a deeper and deeper state of despair.

Ditto. :shy:

I am slowly trying to become a nerd: I would say that I am an apprentice to a nerd.

I consider myself more of an intellectual hippy

I think I am. Whether I qualify with the intelligence criteria is debatable; I certainly fit the rest of the description. I identify more readily with 'geek' than 'nerd'. :blushing:

I think I am a Candidate in Philosophy (C.Phil.) in being nerd. Soon I will obtain the Ph.D. in being nerd and I will have completed the process of transforming myself in such an akward guy.

To Daniel I'd say that the process of transformation is unavoidable, wait some time and you'll cross to the dark side with me and those thousands...

I never have been, and never will be a nerd.

I'm a geek!

42.40631 I am lacking in the movies department quite a bit

I'm a geek, not a nerd.

Caffeine dependence is a definite criterion.

Never thought of myself as a nerd because nerds have negative connotations associated with them. I instead think of myself as a Renissance Woman.

Andromeda321 said:
Never thought of myself as a nerd because nerds have negative connotations associated with them. I instead think of myself as a Renissance Woman.

Ummm...so you marry at 14, are subservient to men, and look like the virgin mary?

Ack, 42.20907% Geekyness, which makes me a Major Geek. It seems to have gotten higher in the past few years...

I'm just another freak in the freakdom looking for kicks! :biggrin:

franznietzsche- no, not quite. :wink:
The term "Renissance Man" refers to someone who's like da Vinci who has interests across the board: great at science, great at art, etc. A nerd, on the other hand, specializes more in only one direction.
And of course I had to change "Man" to "Woman" for obvious reasons. o:)

franznietzsche said:
I'm a geek, not a nerd.

Caffeine dependence is a definite criterion.
Damnit! *rips up application form* I guess I'm not getting into GeekU then eh?

Andromeda321 said:
The term "Renissance Man" refers to someone who's like da Vinci who has interests across the board: great at science, great at art, etc. A nerd, on the other hand, specializes more in only one direction.
Gah! Stop perverting the english language.

1. It's spelled Renaissance

2. DaVinci was a "Renaissance Man", because he was a man during the Renaissance (it's really that simple), in fact you could even attribute him with starting the bloody movement.

3. You can't just add 'Wo' to anything you want and completely change the meaning for your own petty comments. Bah!

Smurf said:
Damnit! *rips up application form* I guess I'm not getting into GeekU then eh?

*Hands Smurf a big cup of coffee* It's not too late yet. We at PF believe in promoting any educational aspirations you may have.

3. You can't just add 'Wo' to anything you want and completely change the meaning for your own petty comments. Bah!

Well, it seems easier than adding those other things necessary to use the term "man." :biggrin: This coming from a guy who goes to school in dresses...you should know better! :tongue2:

Moonbear said:
This coming from a guy who goes to school in dresses...you should know better! :tongue2:

ouch! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Apologies for the misspelling. I have heard the term refer to people who are talented in many areas before, however, and it sounds more poetic then "jack of all trades" or some such.
And it's not meant as a feminism thing or anything though, I stole the term from my high school yearbook's theme actually, and I am what I am, so... *shrug*

Andromeda321 said:

I know what the term means, i was just making a joke.

Andromeda321 said:
Apologies for the misspelling. I have heard the term refer to people who are talented in many areas before, however, and it sounds more poetic then "jack of all trades" or some such.

The usage was appropriate. We knew what you meant. These guys are giving you a hard time. :rofl:

Damn! I only got 18.73767% geek! I need to learn more about computers!

40.84% Geek.

34.7% ... feel like "normal" !

motai said:
Ack, 42.20907% Geekyness, which makes me a Major Geek. It seems to have gotten higher in the past few years...

You beat me!

:grumpy: :grumpy:

Judging significant digits only,i'm happy that i got 12% and that i have "tendencies"...:tongue2:

Daniel.

20.11834%... Geek!
Wow, I'm shocked that I actually beat someone.
That test was hilarious

Ok, I got to say this. You're a geek if you actually took this whole test...it's got like what? 20k questions?

Why wouldn't take the whole test,even with 200 questions...?Would you risk severe damage to nerve cells...?:wink:

Daniel.

I'm a nerd, for sure. In fact, I think the best thing about being a parent is that being a nerd was suddenly an asset. Parents are supposed to be nerds. :approve:

Or maybe I'm just a hick with above average intelligence. Or maybe being a hick with above average intelligence led me down the path to nerd-dom, since being a nerd is lots better than being a hick. :frown:

There's a huge difference between nerds and geeks. Nerds take showers, for one thing. Geeks bite the heads off of live chickens, for another. :yuck:

BobG said:
There's a huge difference between nerds and geeks. Nerds take showers, for one thing. Geeks bite the heads off of live chickens, for another. :yuck:

Hmmm...I suspect there's a difference in meaning depending on where you live. I would have said it's nerds who don't shower and geeks who do. As for biting heads off chickens, I leave that to the lead singers of Metal bands, who are neither geeks nor nerds, they're just strange.

MMMMMM... live chicken heads...

A message from the Society for the Advancement of Geek Youth (SAGY).

hehe