Calculating the moment of inertia in a pulley system

In summary, the conversation discusses a homework problem involving an object attached to a reel. The problem asks for the tension in the string, the acceleration of the object, and the speed at which it hits the floor. The conversation also mentions the formula for calculating moment of inertia and the confusion about why there is a 1/2 term in the formula for a solid disk. It is explained that the 1/2 term comes from the moment of inertia of common shapes.
mldavis086

Homework Statement

An object with a mass of m = 5.10 kg is attached to the free end of a light string wrapped around a reel of radius R = 0.250 m and mass M = 3.00 kg. The reel is a solid disk, free to rotate in a vertical plane about the horizontal axis passing through its center. The suspended object is released from rest 6.00 m above the floor. Determine
(a) the tension in the string,
(b) the acceleration of the object, and
(c) the speed with which the object hits the fl oor.
(d) Verify your answer to (c) by using the isolated system (energy) model.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't expect you to answer the whole question but just this part would be great!

When calculating the moment of inertia, I have the formula to be I = Ʃ m*r^2

They show how to get the answer in the book but I don't understand it. When they calculate the moment of inertia, they have (1/2)(3)(0.25)^2

Where did the half come from? This is a new chapter in the book and I'm not sure I even really get what the moment of inertia is. If anyone can help me it would be greatly appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
hi mldavis086 ! :smile:
mldavis086 said:
… The reel is a solid disk …

When calculating the moment of inertia, I have the formula to be I = Ʃ m*r^2

They show how to get the answer in the book but I don't understand it. When they calculate the moment of inertia, they have (1/2)(3)(0.25)^2

Where did the half come from?

ah, you need to learn the moment of inertia of the common shapes (see eg http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_moments_of_inertia) :wink:

for a disc (ie a cylinder), about its axis, it's 1/2 mr2 :smile:

That's great. Thanks!

1. What is the moment of inertia and why is it important in a pulley system?

The moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in rotational motion. It is important in a pulley system because it determines the amount of torque required to rotate the system.

2. How is the moment of inertia calculated in a pulley system?

The moment of inertia in a pulley system is calculated by multiplying the mass of each object by its distance from the axis of rotation squared, and then adding these values together.

3. Can the moment of inertia change in a pulley system?

Yes, the moment of inertia can change in a pulley system if the mass or distribution of mass in the system changes.

4. How does the moment of inertia affect the speed and acceleration of a pulley system?

The moment of inertia affects the speed and acceleration of a pulley system by determining the amount of force required to accelerate the system and the amount of torque required to maintain a constant speed.

5. Are there any variables that can affect the accuracy of calculating the moment of inertia in a pulley system?

Yes, there are several variables that can affect the accuracy of calculating the moment of inertia in a pulley system, including the precision of measurements, the presence of friction, and the rigidity of the pulley system components.