The working of an electric motor and generator

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of how an electric motor and generator work and how they convert mechanical and electrical energy. The main question is how turning a coil in a generator creates electricity, and the answer is that the wire in the coil cuts the field from a permanent magnet, causing electron movement and the generation of electricity. The concept is further explained through the use of Fleming's right hand rule.
ASidd
I have a very silly question . I know how an electric motor and generator work; the changing magnetic flux and current flow causes the coil to rotate etc. and it generates mechanical or electrical energy.

M question is how does turning of the coil generate mechanical energy from electrical energy in a motor and electrical energy from mechanical energy in a generator?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you question is a little unclear. Are you asking what relationship exists between mechanical and electrical energy which allows them to be interchangeable?

What I'm trying to ask is how does turning a coil create electricity? I know how the coil turns but how does the turning go on to give electricity in a generator?

Last edited:
The wire in the turning coil cuts the field from a permanent magnet at right angles, which initiates electron movement in the wire. There is loads about this on the internet.

Look up Flemings right hand rule.

1. How does an electric motor work?

An electric motor works by converting electrical energy into mechanical energy. This is achieved through the interaction of magnetic fields produced by the flow of electric current through the motor's coils and the permanent magnets inside the motor. The resulting force causes the motor's shaft to rotate, providing mechanical power.

2. What is the difference between an electric motor and a generator?

An electric motor converts electrical energy into mechanical energy, while a generator converts mechanical energy into electrical energy. In other words, an electric motor produces motion, while a generator produces electricity.

3. How does a generator produce electricity?

A generator works by rotating a coil of wire within a magnetic field. This motion induces an electric current in the wire, which is then collected and transmitted as electricity. The strength of the magnetic field, the speed of rotation, and the number of wire turns all affect the amount of electricity produced by a generator.

4. What are the different types of electric motors?

There are several types of electric motors, including DC motors, AC motors, synchronous motors, and induction motors. Each type has its own unique design and function, but all work on the same principle of converting electrical energy into mechanical energy.

5. How can I increase the efficiency of an electric motor or generator?

To increase the efficiency of an electric motor or generator, you can use high-quality materials for its construction, reduce friction and resistance within the motor or generator, and optimize its design for maximum performance. Regular maintenance and proper usage can also help improve efficiency and prolong the lifespan of these devices.