Changes to Site Header: Nav, Logo & Login

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
In summary: anyway, it's fixed now.If you would lift the quick links up a bit it'll be perfect--they're positioned on the separation line, I assume they should be in the light gray space, if so, don't bother this post. :biggrin:
As you may have noticed I've been fiddling with the header of the site. I've moved both the nav breadcrumbs and login bit to the left and right of our logo. This helps move the discussions higher up the page and saves space. I'm still tweaking things, so don't be alarmed if there are big display problems. Do alert me if there are constant problems. Different browsers and what not always display a little different. thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I was wondering what that was! Assumed it was a problem with my browser at first.

I assumed you were a tinkerin'

We have one report of the header being broken. Please report here if you see any problems.

I have a huge empty gray space between the header and the posts. ;)

I like Serena said:
I have a huge empty gray space between the header and the posts. ;)

Can you screenshot it for me? and what browser/resolution?

Greg Bernhardt said:
Can you screenshot it for me? and what browser/resolution?

Actually, I was kidding and assuming you were tinkering with it right now.
But here it is.

Note that the rightmost text in the header is normally not overlapping, but I resized the window to limit the picture size.

attachment.php?attachmentid=55147&stc=1&d=1359418698.png

I'm running Chrome 23.0 on Windows 7 in 1680x1050.

Attachments

• PF_header.png
    PF_header.png
    36.7 KB · Views: 521
I like Serena said:
Actually, I was kidding and assuming you were tinkering with it right now.
But here it is.

Note that the rightmost text in the header is normally not overlapping, but I resized the window to limit the picture size.

attachment.php?attachmentid=55147&stc=1&d=1359418698.png

I'm running Chrome 23.0 on Windows 7 in 1680x1050.

That's ok, you shouldn't be browsing with that small of a window size :D

Greg Bernhardt said:
That's ok, you shouldn't be browsing with that small of a window size :D

I like the part where you say in your OP that it saves space.
I guess that is true, but I only see that about a quarter of my window is completely unused. ;P

Stuff is jumbled over. IE8 on Windows XP

Attachments

• Image10.jpg
    Image10.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 412
Studiot said:
Stuff is jumbled over.

Thanks, what version of IE/Windows are you using?

Already noted.

More to the point that was with 100% zoom on a 4:3 screen.

Reducing zoom to 75% makes it more normal, but nearly unreadable for size.

Can do another screenshot, but don't want to waste storage space. I assume these images will be deleted once they are finished with for same reason.

hmmm I can emulate to IE7 and it's broken, but if I emulate to IE8 everything is fine.

Is it a dot net thing?

Studiot said:
Is it a dot net thing?

Is what a .Net thing?

Last edited:
You said you could do IE8 OK. But on my bog standard Dell Office setup at 1024/768 resolution the headers jumble over as shown at 100% zoom.
My Microsoft gets hazy at this point but I wondered if there was something to do with dot net?

Strangely enough it offers normal presentation in this thread, but not in the general physics forums or threads there.

Justed checked and abnormal in other threads in the announcements forum either

*Bursts into the room*
GUYS! Someone is messing with PF! Oh wait it's Greg...
GUYS! Greg is messing with PF!

Drakkith said:
*Bursts into the room*
GUYS! Someone is messing with PF! Oh wait it's Greg...
GUYS! Greg is messing with PF!

:smile:

Yeah it's kind of...disorienting!

But change is good. Generally. Except when it isn't. But *this* change - it's good!

Studiot said:
You said you could do IE8 OK. But on my bog standard Dell Office setup at 1024/768 resolution the headers jumble over as shown at 100% zoom.

Greg said "emulate" IP8 OK, not "do". Maybe there's a bug in the emulator that makes it better than the original.

Joking apart: I get the same as Stdiot with the same system specs (IE8, Win XP SP3 + all MS security patches installed, 1024x768 display) but different physical hardware - so it's not a Dell-specific problem.

AlephZero said:
Greg said "emulate" IP8 OK, not "do". Maybe there's a bug in the emulator that makes it better than the original.

Joking apart: I get the same as Stdiot with the same system specs (IE8, Win XP SP3 + all MS security patches installed, 1024x768 display) but different physical hardware - so it's not a Dell-specific problem.

Yeah because of differences in OS and updates, I can't truly emulate what your environment is. Keep the updates coming.

I've put the breadcrumbs back under the nav. For many threads it was just too big to fit in that space. Hopefully that helps those who were having troubles.

And I was thinking I need to get some sleep. :p

If you would lift the quick links up a bit it'll be perfect--they're positioned on the separation line, I assume they should be in the light gray space, if so, don't bother this post. :biggrin:

Edit: It's because of the zooming.. That's weird, I remember changing the focus sometimes without this change in positions and overlaping.

At home with Vista SP2 and IE9, my laptop has no problems right now. That matches my work PC that had issues earlier. Did you fix it? :smile:

berkeman said:
At home with Vista SP2 and IE9, my laptop has no problems right now. That matches my work PC that had issues earlier. Did you fix it? :smile:

I don't know, you tell me :) I put the breadcrumb nav back where it was. I think that was the problem.

Good from home; will check from work in the morning. Thanks Greg.

On the homepage, the "stay connected' box is at the top, can you move that to the bottom and move the Scientific American links back to the top? It makes more sense as I would want to view the article links daily, but not options.

Evo said:
On the homepage, the "stay connected' box is at the top, can you move that to the bottom and move the Scientific American links back to the top? It makes more sense as I would want to view the article links daily, but not options.

So you read the articles? I moved it to help boost social media numbers. I could move active users down?

Greg Bernhardt said:
So you read the articles? I moved it to help boost social media numbers. I could move active users down?
Lol, yes, I sometimes read the articles. Nah, if you're trying to drive traffic, leave it. I can find the articles.

PF now look normal again.

:smile:

Thanks.

Hello Greg,

I find that if the window width is made too narrow, the login info appears superimposed on the site logo, as shown in the attached screenshot. This is in Chromium Version 20.0.1132.47 on Ubuntu 12.04. I'm not sure if there is any way around this problem though.

Attachments

• pf_header.png
    pf_header.png
    46.4 KB · Views: 390
cepheid said:
I find that if the window width is made too narrow, the login info appears superimposed on the site logo, as shown in the attached screenshot. This is in Chromium Version 20.0.1132.47 on Ubuntu 12.04. I'm not sure if there is any way around this problem though.

Positioning the logo on the left side would help. I did that myself with a user stylesheet.

edit:
If you can find the custom.css file for chromium, try placing the following CSS in it:
Code:
div[style="float:right; width:54%;"] { float: left !important; }

/home/username/.config/chromium/Default/User StyleSheets/Custom.css

Last edited:
cepheid said:
Hello Greg,

Don't view on a tiny screen :D

I don't get it, it just looks messy.

Evo said:

THIS! Also, when one minimizes one of those boxes, shouldn't it stay minimized when refreshed? Well, it doesn't. (I already created a topic about that, but no answers so far)

x2791258 said:
THIS! Also, when one minimizes one of those boxes, shouldn't it stay minimized when refreshed? Well, it doesn't. (I already created a topic about that, but no answers so far)
Yeah, I noticed that too. :frown:

<h2>1. What changes are being made to the site header?</h2><p>The site header will be updated with changes to the navigation menu, logo, and login options.</p><h2>2. Why are these changes being made?</h2><p>The changes are being made to improve user experience and make the site more visually appealing.</p><h2>3. Will the navigation menu be easier to use?</h2><p>Yes, the navigation menu will be simplified and more user-friendly.</p><h2>4. Will the logo be completely changed?</h2><p>No, the logo will remain the same but may be updated with minor design changes.</p><h2>5. How will the login options be different?</h2><p>The login options will be more prominently displayed and may include additional security measures for user accounts.</p>

1. What changes are being made to the site header?

The site header will be updated with changes to the navigation menu, logo, and login options.

2. Why are these changes being made?

The changes are being made to improve user experience and make the site more visually appealing.

3. Will the navigation menu be easier to use?

Yes, the navigation menu will be simplified and more user-friendly.

4. Will the logo be completely changed?

No, the logo will remain the same but may be updated with minor design changes.

5. How will the login options be different?

The login options will be more prominently displayed and may include additional security measures for user accounts.