Find phasor voltages, current, phasor diagrams

In summary, the conversation discusses finding phasors for current and voltage in an AC RLC circuit, constructing a phasor diagram, and using polar and rectangular forms. The conversation also covers finding impedance, converting to polar form, and calculating current using Ohm's law. The circuit is found to be resonant at a specific frequency, with the reactances cancelling out to leave only the resistance.
Color_of_Cyan

Homework Statement

http://imageshack.us/a/img842/2954/homeworkprobsg41.jpg

a. Find the phasors for the current and the voltages of the circuit

b. Construct a phasor diagram showing Vs, I, VL, Vc, and VR

Homework Equations

phasor current i = V/Z

ic(t) = Ipeakcos2πft

Ipeak = Vpeak*2πfc

Z = Re{Z} + j Im{Z} (rectangular form),

or

Z = M (cos a + j sin a) (polar form)

V(t) = Vp cos (w t + q v)

i(t) = ip cos (w t +q i)

The Attempt at a Solution

Not experienced with AC RLC circuits.

All I think I know here is that the phasor voltage is 10V?

But am I going to have to break it up finding the V across each element too? If so, any tips for where I can start with that? Is there an equation I have to differentiate?

Would it be best to put it in polar form or rectangular form?

This has scared me a lot so far.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Step 1: With the voltage being 10
express the current in polar form (as a magnitude and an angle).

Step 2: Now that you know the current through each element, you can write the polar form of the voltage across each. For example, the voltage across the resistor is in phase with the current; the voltage across the inductor is 90° ahead of that current phasor, etc.

Sorry for getting back to this really lateSo it that 0° because there was no angle given?

Also it's polar form so

Z = M (cos a + j sin a)

Would the polar form then be

Z = 10 (cos 0 - jsin90)

?

Color_of_Cyan said:
Sorry for getting back to this really late

So it that 0° because there was no angle given?
You have to set something as reference, and I just nominated voltage. You could choose current to be 0° and express the voltage relative to that.

Also it's polar form so

Z = M (cos a + j sin a)

Would the polar form then be

Z = 10 (cos 0 - jsin90)

?
I wouldn't have chosen Z as the symbol for a voltage, especially when there are impedances involved in the analysis.

If V = V0°,

then V = V(cos0° + j.sin0°)

I got that as the formula, it said Z instead and didn't mean impedance, but yes.

So V in Polar Form is :

V = 10(cos0° + jsin0°) ?

Is that one of the phasors then?

Color_of_Cyan said:
So V in Polar Form is :

V = 10(cos0° + jsin0°) ?

Is that one of the phasors then?
Yes.

Is that the only expression that accounts for just the current source then? How would I go about then finding it through the inductor, capacitor, etc? Do you need the phasor voltages through them as well?

How would I go about calculating the current from it too? Could I still apply DC laws to get the current phasor? (ie, the phasor voltage over the resistance?)

To find the current, you divide the voltage by the circuit impedance (at the frequency of the applied AC). First, you may find it easiest to express the total impedance as a complex number.

Okay, but there wasn't any given frequency? (Unless you're supposed to get that from the given equation on the voltage source)

So the impedance is ZR + ZL + ZC

ZL = jωL

ZC = 1/jωC

ZR = 100 ohms the same as the resistor

Question, does ω = 104?

If so then

Z = 100 + 1/j(104)(0.2 x 10-6) + j(104)(50 x 10-3)

Z = 100 + j500 + j500

Z = (100 + j500)Ω ?

Then I'm assuming the current phasor would then be

I = 10V(cos0° + jsin0°)/(100 + j500)Ω

?

Color_of_Cyan said:
Okay, but there wasn't any given frequency? (Unless you're supposed to get that from the given equation on the voltage source)
Yes.
So the impedance is ZR + ZL + ZC

ZL = jωL

ZC = 1/jωC

ZR = 100 ohms the same as the resistor

Question, does ω = 104?

If so then

Z = 100 + 1/j(104)(0.2 x 10-6) + j(104)(50 x 10-3)

Correct so far, but the next line can't be right ...
Z = 100 + j500 + j500

Sorry for getting back to this late again.

So it would've been j500 - j500 then, because the formula for Zc was actually

= -j/ωC ? so then just

Z = 100 + 0jΩ

?

Am I going to have to convert that also?

I heard the way to convert it to express it (ie the impedence) in X∠° form was something like

Zmagnitude = (R + X)1/2[/sub]

then Zangle = tan-1(R/X)

where Z was the total impedance and X was the magnitude of imaginary impedance, and R the real impedance from form:

Z = R + jXIf so, then Z is 100∠ 90°. Then I would be V/Z so

I = (10∠ 0°)/(100 ∠ 90°)

then

I = (0.1∠ -90°)A ?

Color_of_Cyan said:
So it would've been j500 - j500 then, because the formula for Zc was actually

= -j/ωC ?

so then just

Z = 100 + 0jΩ
Assuming your arithmetic is correct, then this indicates the circuit is resonant at this applied frequency, with the reactances cancelling to leave you with just the resistance of the circuit.
I heard the way to convert it to express it (ie the impedence) in X∠° form was something like

Zmagnitude = (R + X)1/2[/sub]

then Zangle = tan-1(R/X)

where Z was the total impedance and X was the magnitude of imaginary impedance, and R the real impedance from form:

Z = R + jX

You heard some rumour? :confused: But aren't you taking lectures in this topic?

Anyway, you are on the right track but not quite correct. Better check with your textbook to find what it should be.

After that, your method is correct.

NascentOxygen said:
Assuming your arithmetic is correct, then this indicates the circuit is resonant at this applied frequency, with the reactances cancelling to leave you with just the resistance of the circuit.

You heard some rumour? :confused: But aren't you taking lectures in this topic?

Anyway, you are on the right track but not quite correct. Better check with your textbook to find what it should be.

After that, your method is correct.

I am / was but it's kind of difficult. And that's what the textbook says actually (it even confuses me). Can I ask what is incorrect about the equations there? Or did I just do it for the wrong form?

Color_of_Cyan said:
And that's what the textbook says actually (it even confuses me). Can I ask what is incorrect about the equations there? Or did I just do it for the wrong form?
You'll find there is a lot of helpful electrical theory on the net. http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/vol_2/chpt_2/5.html

1. What is a phasor and why is it used in electrical engineering?

A phasor is a complex number representation of a sinusoidal waveform, used to simplify the analysis of alternating current (AC) circuits. It consists of a magnitude (amplitude) and a phase angle, and allows for the representation of a sinusoidal quantity in a single complex number. This makes calculations and analysis of AC circuits much easier and more efficient.

2. How do you find phasor voltages and currents in an AC circuit?

To find phasor voltages and currents in an AC circuit, you need to first convert all the values to their complex number form (phasors). This involves representing the magnitudes as the real part and the phase angles as the imaginary part. Then, you can use basic electrical laws and principles, such as Ohm's Law and Kirchhoff's Laws, to solve for the phasor voltages and currents in the circuit.

3. What are phasor diagrams and how are they used in electrical engineering?

A phasor diagram is a graphical representation of the phasors in an AC circuit. It is a vector diagram that shows the magnitude and direction of each phasor. Phasor diagrams are used to visualize and analyze the behavior of AC circuits, and can help determine important parameters such as phase differences, power, and impedance.

4. Can phasors be used to analyze non-sinusoidal waveforms?

Yes, phasors can be used to analyze non-sinusoidal waveforms by breaking them down into their sinusoidal components using Fourier series. Once converted to their phasor form, the same principles and laws can be applied to analyze and solve for the circuit's behavior.

5. What are some common applications of phasor analysis in electrical engineering?

Phasor analysis is commonly used in electrical engineering for the analysis and design of AC circuits, including power systems, motors, transformers, and filters. It is also used in the study of electromagnetic fields, communication systems, and signal processing.