Find units of rate constants and write reactions

In summary: A] = k1[A] - k2[B][A] = -k3[C]etc.In summary, Homework Equations state that the rate of a reaction is proportional to the amount of the reactants present and inversely proportional to the amount of the product.
marimari

Homework Statement

Find the units of k1, k2, k3, k4, and k5. Write rate reactions for dA/dt

a. A[itex]\leftrightarrow[/itex]B
k1 (forward)
k2 (backward)

b. A + B [itex]\rightarrow[/itex] C
k3 (forward)

c. A + R [itex]\rightarrow[/itex] 2R
k4 (forward)

d. A [itex]\rightarrow[/itex] B
k5 (forward)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

a. [itex]\frac{d[A]}{dt}[/itex] = k1[A] - k2
units of k1 & k2 are in s[itex]^{-1}[/itex]
b. [itex]\frac{d[A]}{dt}[/itex] = -k3[C]
units of k3 are in L/mol*s
c. [itex]\frac{d[A]}{dt}[/itex] = -k4[R]^2
units of k4 are in L/mol*s
d. [itex]\frac{d[A]}{dt}[/itex] = -k5
units of k5 are in s[itex]^{-1}[/itex]

Are these correct? I'm a little confused since the problem specified finding dA/dt rather than each of the products. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks all OK to me.

Except for first order I never remember the units of the top of my head. But you shouldn't be confused, it is quite easy:

[A] means moles.litre-1.

/dt is s-1

on the RHS, [A] is moles.litre-1.
[A]2 is moles2.litre-2
[A]ab[C]c... is molesa+b+c+....litre-(a+b+c+...)

So e.g. for a 2nd-order reaction like b

moles.litre-1.s-1 = k x moles2.litre-2

Isolate k by dividing both sides by moles2.litre-2 and after any cancellations you have it.

Do they insist nowadays, mnyah mnyah, you write out the cumbrous moles.litre-1 etc?

M used to be good enough. Or rather, better.

I would expect different signs for all "k", but that is probably just a convention issue.

At b, why does the change of A depend on C (and not on A and B), if C does not react at all? The same applies to c and d.
At b, how can you get units different from your answers at (a) and (d)?

mfb said:
I would expect different signs for all "k", but that is probably just a convention issue.

At b, why does the change of A depend on C (and not on A and B), if C does not react at all? The same applies to c and d.

It doesn't depend on C.

Sorry I read your answer for the units which were all correct, not your equation which is not right. The answer for the units is right for b, c and d somehow, but your equations for those are wrong.

I happen to have written a post recently about how simple it is to write the rate equations for a given mechanism.
https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=4304238&postcount=16

Rate constants are always positive.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the help! So, my equations are incorrect for b, c, d? I'm not sure how to write the reaction in terms of dA/dt, then. I know how to write them for dC/dt or dProduct/dt, but not for a reactant.

Wait a minute...
Am I just being an idiot?

Would
(b) simply be d[A]/dt = k3[A]

(c) d[A]/dt = k4[A][R]
actually I'm the most unsure about this one because of the 2R in the product. Would the rate be halved?

(d) d[A]/dt = k5[A]?

As A decreases in the reaction and the k-factors are always positive, those equations should have a minus sign. Apart from that, they are correct.
The reaction product (as long as it is not A) does not matter, even in case of (c). The amount of R will change in a more complicated way, of course.

Awesome! Thank you so much

Another quick question: Are my units correct as epenguin said?

With the fixed equation in (b), they are all correct now.

marimari said:
Thanks for all the help! So, my equations are incorrect for b, c, d? I'm not sure how to write the reaction in terms of dA/dt, then. I know how to write them for dC/dt or dProduct/dt, but not for a reactant.

Given conservation of mass, or better, given that in b one molecule of A generates one of C what is the relation of dC/dt to dA/dt? Etc.

If you don't have a doh! moment read through the first page or so of whatever book chapter your course is using.

I initially thought your problems were with the dimensions or units, it did not occur to me that anyone would have a difficulty with formulating the equations so I did not even look at yours. (However their derivation is explained in the link I gave in last post.) In the same way I missed that your a is also wrong! - make it -d[A]/dt on the left. A is disappearing by reacting, the more A there is the faster it disappears! After you have corrected that, you have a correct first stage. But a second stage, for a more useful equation, is to express all in terms of A, without B appearing in the equation. Using the idea of my 1st line above.

marimari said:
Wait a minute...
Am I just being an idiot?

Would
(b) simply be d[A]/dt = k3[A]

(c) d[A]/dt = k4[A][R]
actually I'm the most unsure about this one because of the 2R in the product. Would the rate be halved?

(d) d[A]/dt = k5[A]?

b, c and d not quite, see my last post.

1. What are rate constants and why are they important in chemical reactions?

Rate constants are numerical values that represent the speed at which a chemical reaction takes place. They are important because they provide insight into the mechanisms and pathways of a reaction, and can be used to predict and control the rate of a reaction.

2. How do you determine the units of rate constants?

The units of rate constants vary depending on the order of the reaction. For a zero-order reaction, the units are concentration/time, for a first-order reaction, the units are 1/time, and for a second-order reaction, the units are 1/concentration*time.

3. Can rate constants be calculated or do they have to be experimentally determined?

Rate constants can be calculated using the Arrhenius equation, which relates the rate constant to temperature and the activation energy of a reaction. However, in most cases, they are experimentally determined through the analysis of reaction data.

4. How do you write reactions based on given rate constants?

To write reactions based on given rate constants, you need to know the reactants and products involved in the reaction, as well as the rate law. The rate law can be determined by analyzing the reaction data and identifying the relationship between the rate of the reaction and the concentrations of the reactants.

5. Are rate constants affected by changes in reaction conditions?

Yes, rate constants can be affected by changes in reaction conditions such as temperature, pressure, and the presence of catalysts. For example, an increase in temperature usually leads to an increase in the rate constant, while the addition of a catalyst can decrease the rate constant and accelerate the reaction.