Bending energy for a rod/column under compression?

In summary, the rod/circular column will not generate any bending strain until the critical load is applied. If there are no other forces acting on the rod/column then trying to generate bending strain will be difficult. If you are trying to calculate a bending energy for an unloaded rod then you will need to introduce a lateral load somewhere along the length of the column in order to generate any bending.
george95
Hi,
I would like to calculate a bending energy of a circular rod. It should be elastic bending.
The rod/circular column should be loaded with some point load force at it's top. Any amount could be used, for example F=1,10,100 kN...

I know how to calculate a strain energy of a rod loaded with an axial force. But that formula does not include bending, just normal stress:

U = (σ^2*V)/2*E

Could somebody please help me with this issue?

Thank you.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I'm confused. Is the rod acting as a column or a beam? Is the load to be applied axially or laterally? If the rod is acting as a column, there will be no appreciable bending action until the critical load is applied axially.

Hi SteamKing, and thank you for the reply.
My apologies for not being clear.
The rod is vertical, with fixed bottom end, and no restrained (free) upper end. Something like a cantilever beam, but rotated for 90 degrees. The force is suppose to be applied at the top of the rod, vertically (axially).

If there are no other forces acting your rod/column then trying to get it to generate bending strain will be difficult (as SteamKing stated). Are getting confused with buckling?

Do you have a free body diagram or any attempt at a solution we could look at?

It may be I am wrong.

I attached the image.

If we take a z coordinate in a way that: z=0 at the ground level and z=L at the top of the column, and if y(z) is the the horizontal deflection of the rod at each point z, could we write an expression for the bending energy coming from the applied force F at the top of the rod?

Attachments

• rod.jpg
    rod.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 499
Not until critical load is applied (as SteamKing mentioned). Are you familiar with Euler's formula for determining this?

I think I understand now.
So after the critical load is applied the rod will undergo to buckling, and horizontal deflection y, times F (y*F) will create a momentum?

The F critical (buckling load) would be:

Fcrit = (pi^2*E* I)/(k*L^2)
k(support condition factor) = 2 (for one end fixed, other end free)

Fcrit =(pi^2*E*I)/(2*L^2)

I = pi/(4*r^4) for circular cross-section

Fcrit = (pi^3*E)/(8*L^2*r^4)

?

Now you can start plugging your section properties into that to get the critical load.

Ok, and once I get the critical load, how can I connect that with getting the bending energy?
For example, let's say the length of the rod is 2meters. And radius of the cross-section is 0.03m
L=2 m
r=0.03 m
E = 2*10^8 kN/m2

Fcrit = (pi^3*E)/(8*L^2*r^4) = (pi^3*2*10^8)/(8*2^2*0.03^4)= 2.423 kN

Now how can I write an expression for the bending energy?

That is as good as it gets I'm afraid. Without introducing a lateral load, your column won't be subject to bending. Just buckling under compression.

What about that horizontal deflection along with Force on the top? It creates some kind of a momentum, and therefor a bending of a rod? So some bending energy must exist?

That's why your column will need to be stiff enough to resist over the effective length. If a column goes into bending when it should be taking a compression load it means something has gone wrong.

Thank you for the reply once again Cake of doom.
But this is not an actual project, with real measures. I am just trying to understand how to calculate a bending energy in this case.
Nevertheless even before the rod undergoes buckling, still the force on the top produces some sort of bending, right? So some expression for bending energy could be written?

Whether real or just theoretical, a load that doesn't exist cannot be accounted for. Using the critical load method; when it bends (buckles), it's gone. Resistance of bending becomes a moot point. You would have to introduce a horizontal load somewhere along the length of the column for it to experience bending. Or you would have to load it eccentrically.

What about the bending before the buckling? A certain amount of it has to exist above the buckling limit?
I guess even an unloaded rod (that is loaded only with it's dead load - self weight) produces some sort of bending (insignificant bust still there is, right?) due to it's weight?

Real world example: Have you ever stood a straw on it's end (not one with a bendy middle bit)? Did you ever see it bend under its own wait?

You just haven't created the right conditions for what you are trying to achieve. In a stable column, any bending that does occur will be so small you'd never find it. Equations for columns are the way they are to specifically resist any bending.

To be able to run all the sums you are trying to run you would have to:-
Load the column eccentrically.
Place the load at an angle.
Place the column at an angle.

Thats all you got I'm afraid.

1. What is bending energy for a rod/column under compression?

Bending energy is the amount of work required to bend a rod or column under compression. It is a measure of the resistance to deformation of the material.

2. How is bending energy calculated?

Bending energy can be calculated using the formula E = 1/2 * F * delta, where E is bending energy, F is the applied force, and delta is the displacement of the rod or column.

3. What factors affect the bending energy of a rod/column under compression?

The bending energy of a rod/column under compression is affected by the material properties, such as its modulus of elasticity and yield strength, as well as its dimensions and the applied force.

4. Why is understanding bending energy important in engineering?

Understanding bending energy is important in engineering because it allows for the design and analysis of structures and materials that can withstand compressive forces without failure. It also helps in determining the appropriate material and dimensions for a given application.

5. How can bending energy be minimized in a rod/column under compression?

Bending energy can be minimized by choosing a material with a high modulus of elasticity and yield strength, as well as by increasing the dimensions of the rod or column. Additionally, proper design and reinforcement techniques can help distribute the compressive forces and reduce bending energy.