Trying to understand the proof of |S|<|P(S)| for all S

• Thread starter setsofvectors
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proof
In summary: Then there exists an x in S such that f(x) = C.-> Either x ∈ C or x ∉ C -> contradiction which makes the assumption invalid.The sentence "Either x ∈ C or x ∉ C" is a direct consequence of the sentence "Then there exists an x in S such that f(x) = C."?Yes, the sentence "Either x ∈ C or x ∉ C" is a direct consequence of the sentence "Then there exists an x in S such that f(x) = C." This is because if there exists an x in S such that f(x) = C, then either x is in C or x is not in C. This is a logical consequence of the definition of a
setsofvectors
Trying to understand the proof of "|S|<|P(S)| for all S"

Homework Statement

Here's the 1st half of the proof:

Suppose that f is a function that maps S into P(S).

Let x be an element in S.

Since f maps into P(S), f(x) ∈ P(S).

Thus, f(x) is a subset of S.

So, x ∈ f(x) or x ∉ f(x).

Let C = {x in S |x ∉ f(x)}

Since C is a subset of S, C ∈ P(S).

Assume that f maps S onto P(S).

Then there exists an x in S such that f(x) = C.

Either x ∈ C or x ∉ C.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Are we allowed to define C as C = {x in S |x ∉ f(x)} because we know for a fact that some x never end up in f(x)? I mean the sentence "So, x ∈ f(x) or x ∉ f(x)." precedes the sentence "Let C = {x in S |x ∉ f(x)}". Basically, we would not be allowed to let C = {x in S |x ∉ f(x)} if we didnt know beforehand that sometimes x ∉ f(x). All I want to know is if "C = {x in S |x ∉ f(x)}" is a direct logical consequence of "So, x ∈ f(x) or x ∉ f(x).".

Also, about "Either x ∈ C or x ∉ C." The sentence immediately before it, "Then there exists an x in S such that f(x) = C." is trying to convince us that x is in C, but since this is a mere assumption and not a fact, there's still a possibility that x is not in C. Hence, Either x ∈ C or x ∉ C. I am trying to find a logical glue between "Then there exists an x in S such that f(x) = C." and "Either x ∈ C or x ∉ C.". Do you think I am thinking in the right\wrong direction?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
hi setsofvectors! :smile:
setsofvectors said:
… I am trying to find a logical glue between "Then there exists an x in S such that f(x) = C." and "Either x ∈ C or x ∉ C."

i think your'e seeing a difficultly that isn't there

C can for example be the empty set or the whole space, and the proof still works

there's no logical glue between those two statements

the second statement (Either x ∈ C or x ∉ C) applies to any x ∈ X and to any C ∈ P(X) …

it does not depend as the first statement at all :wink:

Hi, tiny-tim :smile:
tiny-tim said:
hi setsofvectors! :smile:i think your'e seeing a difficultly that isn't there

C can for example be the empty set or the whole space, and the proof still works

there's no logical glue between those two statements

But neither of those sets contain x anyway?

tiny-tim said:
the second statement (Either x ∈ C or x ∉ C) applies to any x ∈ X and to any C ∈ P(X) …

it does not depend as the first statement at all :wink:

Isnt "Then there exists an x in S such that f(x) = C." saying suppose there's x in C which is in P(S)?

Thanks.

P(S) contains f(x)'s. Depending on a function, there will be sets in P(S) where x is not in f(x). So there's a need to define C so that we can refer to such elements of P(S).

?

Say, you're the first person in history who've come up with this proof. What would you have done first- define C or realize that some elements of P(S) don't contain x's from S?

Thanks.

setsofvectors said:
But neither of those sets contain x anyway?

you mean S and the empty set?

S does contain x :confused:
Isnt "Then there exists an x in S such that f(x) = C." saying suppose there's x in C which is in P(S)?

no

how can x be in P(S)? x is in S

({x} is in P(S))

"Then there exists an x in S such that f(x) = C." means what it says

it is true because f is onto P(S), and C is in P(S)​

tiny-tim said:
hi setsofvectors! :smile:you mean S and the empty set?

S does contain x :confused:

You said "C can for example be the empty set or the whole space...". That's what I meant when I said both of those sets won't contain any x from S.
tiny-tim said:
no

how can x be in P(S)? x is in S

({x} is in P(S))

"Then there exists an x in S such that f(x) = C." means what it says

it is true because f is onto P(S), and C is in P(S)​

Assumption goes f(x) = C, where x is in S. So we can suppose x is in the set C and the set C is in P(S).

setsofvectors said:
You said "C can for example be the empty set or the whole space...". That's what I meant when I said both of those sets won't contain any x from S.

the whole space (ie, S) does contain x :confused:
Assumption goes f(x) = C, where x is in S. So we can suppose x is in the set C.

no, we're not using the definition of C at this stage (we'll use it later)

we're only using the fact that C is in P(S)

tiny-tim said:
the whole space (ie, S) does contain x :confused:

Do you mean S can equal C? Like this below?:

Say, S = {1, 2}. Define functions as f(1) = {2}, f(2) = {1}. So, C = {1} and C = {2}. {1} U {2} = {1, 2}? Something like that?

tiny-tim said:
no, we're not using the definition of C at this stage (we'll use it later)

we're only using the fact that C is in P(S)

Where does "Either x is in C or x is not in C' come from?

"Where does "Either x is in C or x is not in C' come from?"

Assume that f maps S onto P(S). -> Then there exists an x in S such that f(x) = C.->
Either x ∈ C or x ∉ C -> contradiction which makes the assumption invalid.

We start with an assumption and keep deriving logically linked sentences till we hit a contradiction.

In the chain above, the second sentence is logically derived from the first one- for onto relation to exist f(x) has to be equal to C. I am having difficulty linking the 3rd sentence to the second in a logical way.

setsofvectors said:
Do you mean S can equal C? Like this below?:

Say, S = {1, 2}. Define functions as f(1) = {2}, f(2) = {1}. So, C = {1} and C = {2}. {1} U {2} = {1, 2}? Something like that?

Where does "Either x is in C or x is not in C' come from?

setsofvectors said:
"Where does "Either x is in C or x is not in C' come from?"

Assume that f maps S onto P(S). -> Then there exists an x in S such that f(x) = C.->
Either x ∈ C or x ∉ C -> contradiction which makes the assumption invalid.

We start with an assumption and keep deriving logically linked sentences till we hit a contradiction.

In the chain above, the second sentence is logically derived from the first one- for onto relation to exist f(x) has to be equal to C. I am having difficulty linking the 3rd sentence to the second in a logical way.

Formally, it can be seen as a logical axiom. The law of the excluded middle says that either a statement must hold or its negation (and not both). For example: either the sun shines, or it doesn't shine.

So by this axiom: either x is an element of C, or it is not true that x is an element of C.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Excluded_middle

Likes 1 person
R136a1 said:
Formally, it can be seen as a logical axiom. The law of the excluded middle says that either a statement must hold or its negation (and not both). For example: either the sun shines, or it doesn't shine.

So by this axiom: either x is an element of C, or it is not true that x is an element of C.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Excluded_middle

Thank you. "The law of excluded middle states that for any proposition, either that proposition is true, or its negation is true."

So, "x is an element of C" has to be the proposition according to the law, correct? So then, this proposition has to be linked to "Then there exists an x in S such that f(x) = C". Right/Wrong? The only link I see is that this assumption is saying that there exists such C in P(S) that contains x from S. Yes/No?

It's not true that a statement is both true and false.

-(p and -p)

p

or

-(p and -p)

-p
------------------------------------------------

-(cold and hot)

cold

or

-(cold and hot)

hot
-------------------------------------------------------
We can also flip them:

hot

-(cold and hot)
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Since f(x) is a subset of S, it's obvious x is in f(x). But we need to define C for the assumption, so we make use of the Law of Excluded Middle.

-(x is in f(x) and x is not in f(x)) is a true statement just like -(China is in Africa and China is in Asia). So then,

-(x is in f(x) and x is not in f(x))

x is in f(x)

or

x is not in f(x)

We use the first case, because we already have x is in f(x). Flip it and we got,

x is in f(x)

x is in f(x) or x is not in f(x))
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I hope that's where "x is in f(x) or x is not in f(x))" comes from. Does it?

setsofvectors said:

ahh … your difficulty is is caused by your idea of a "chain"

it's not a chain, it's a network

each step does have to be logically derived from some previous step or steps (including axioms), it does not have to be derived from the immediately preceding step

in this case, "Either x is in C or x is not in C" is derived purely from a basic axiom :wink:

tiny-tim said:

ahh … your difficulty is is caused by your idea of a "chain"

it's not a chain, it's a network

each step does have to be logically derived from some previous step or steps (including axioms), it does not have to be derived from the immediately preceding step

in this case, "Either x is in C or x is not in C" is derived purely from a basic axiom :wink:

Does the post #12 look in\correct to you?

i don't understand this line :redface:
setsofvectors said:
Since f(x) is a subset of S, it's obvious x is in f(x).

tiny-tim said:
i don't understand this line :redface:

It comes from my raging desire to link sentences into logically consistent chains. So that turns out to be wrong. Let's scratch the part you don't understand. Does the derivation of "x is in f(x) or x is not in f(x)" look ok now?

setsofvectors said:
Does the derivation of "x is in f(x) or x is not in f(x)" look ok now?

sorry, i don't understand it at all :redface:

"x is in f(x) or x is not in f(x)" doesn't need a derivation

"x is not in f(x)" is the same as not-"x is in f(x)"

P or not-P is always true

tiny-tim said:
sorry, i don't understand it at all :redface:

"x is in f(x) or x is not in f(x)" doesn't need a derivation

"x is not in f(x)" is the same as not-"x is in f(x)"

P or not-P is always true

Ok, in what situations can you invoke LEM?

Thanks.

the axiom "P or not-P is always true" is LEM

Let me see if I got a little closer to understanding the proof.

First, the proof is either true or false. Roughly speaking, if it's false there's onto relation and x is in f(x). If it's true, there's no onto relation and x is not in f(x). The rest of the proof deals with showing x is not(might not be) in f(x).

Does the above sound in\correct?

Thanks.

setsofvectors said:
Let me see if I got a little closer to understanding the proof.

First, the proof is either true or false.

you mean the theorem (or the statement) is either true or false

a proof is always true (if it's not, it's not a proof)
Roughly speaking, if it's false there's onto relation and x is in f(x). If it's true, there's no onto relation and x is not in f(x).

if it's false, yes there's an onto relation …

but what does "x is in f(x)" mean? what x are you talking about? :confused:

tiny-tim said:
you mean the theorem (or the statement) is either true or false
if it's false, yes there's an onto relation …

but what does "x is in f(x)" mean? what x are you talking about? :confused:

I made yet another mistake, but it looks like it just dawned on me why the statement "x is either in f(x) or x is not in f(x)." is included in the proof. Depending on the mapping function, some subsets of S don't contain x, some do. If we can prove that there's at least one subset of S that doesn't contain x, we will have proved the theorem. Look better?

Thanks.

sorry, i still don't understand what "x" you are talking about :redface:

tiny-tim said:
sorry, i still don't understand what "x" you are talking about :redface:

x is an element in S?

yes, of course, but which element? :confused:

when you introduce a new symbol into a proof, you have to say what it represents

(unless any element will do, which in this case it won't)

tiny-tim said:
yes, of course, but which element? :confused:

when you introduce a new symbol into a proof, you have to say what it represents

(unless any element will do, which in this case it won't)

I am not sure what you're asking. Do you need me to show a specific function that constructs C from certain x in S?

:confused:

you need to show what "x" you are talking about

I give up - I don't know what "x" I am talking about. all I know is that x is an element of S. I am not sure about the new symbol I might have introduced(?).

Sounds like you know that specific "x" you're asking about. Can you tell me what it is, because I don't know?

1. What is the proof of |S|<|P(S)| for all S?

The proof of |S|<|P(S)| for all S is a mathematical proof that shows that the cardinality (number of elements) of the power set of a set S is always greater than the cardinality of S. This means that there are always more subsets of a set S than there are elements in S.

2. Why is it important to understand this proof?

This proof is important because it helps us understand the concept of infinity and the size of different sets. It also has important applications in computer science and other fields where we need to understand the number of possible combinations or objects in a set.

3. How is the proof of |S|<|P(S)| for all S related to set theory?

The proof of |S|<|P(S)| for all S is a fundamental result in set theory. It is related to the concept of power sets, which is the set of all possible subsets of a given set. This proof helps us understand the relationship between the cardinality of a set and its power set.

4. Are there any real-life examples that demonstrate this proof?

Yes, there are many real-life examples that demonstrate this proof. For instance, if we have a set of 3 different colored marbles, the number of possible combinations of marbles we can choose is greater than 3. Another example is the number of possible combinations of a deck of cards, which is greater than 52 (the number of cards in the deck).

5. Is the proof of |S|<|P(S)| for all S difficult to understand?

The proof may be challenging for some people to understand, especially if they are not familiar with set theory and mathematical proofs. However, with some background knowledge and effort, it is possible to understand and appreciate this proof.