Finding Impulse Response of Frequency Response

In summary, the frequency response H(e^jw) can be separated into its real and imaginary parts, and then the inverse discrete Fourier transform can be applied to each part to obtain the impulse response h[n].
Fizzill

Homework Statement

Consider the frequency response H(e^jw) = e^j3w(5 + cos(w) + 2cos(w)).

Find the impulse response h[n].

Homework Equations

H(e^jw) = Ʃ(from k = 0 to M) bk * e^-jwk = Ʃ(from k = 0 to M) h[k] * e^-jwk

The Attempt at a Solution

So I'm not sure at all how to get about solving this for sure, I believe I did it but then again after going through my book and notes I wasn't able to find anything like it which makes me doubt my answer.

H(e^jw) = e^j3w(e^-j2w + 1/2e^-jw + 5 + 1/2e^jw + e^j2w)
= e^jw + 1/2e^j2w + 5e^j3w + 1/2e^j4w + e^j5w

which i believe would equate to

h[n] = ∂[n + 1] + 1/2∂[n + 2] + 5∂[n + 3] + 1/2∂[n + 4] + ∂[n + 5]

Physics news on Phys.org

Hi there,

Your attempt at the solution is partially correct. The frequency response H(e^jw) is a complex function, so it cannot be directly equated to the impulse response h[n], which is a real function. The correct approach to finding the impulse response is to first separate the real and imaginary parts of H(e^jw) and then apply the inverse discrete Fourier transform to each part separately.

So, we can rewrite H(e^jw) as:

H(e^jw) = e^j3w(5 + cos(w) + 2cos(w)) = 5e^j3w + e^j4w + 2e^j5w

Separating the real and imaginary parts, we get:

Re{H(e^jw)} = 5cos(3w) + cos(4w) + 2cos(5w)
Im{H(e^jw)} = 5sin(3w) + sin(4w) + 2sin(5w)

Now, applying the inverse discrete Fourier transform to each part, we get:

h[n] = Ʃ(from k = 0 to M) Re{H(e^jw)} * e^jwn = 5∂[n + 3] + ∂[n + 4] + 2∂[n + 5]
g[n] = Ʃ(from k = 0 to M) Im{H(e^jw)} * e^jwn = 5∂[n + 3] + ∂[n + 4] + 2∂[n + 5]

Therefore, the final impulse response would be:

h[n] = Re{h[n]} + Im{h[n]} = 10∂[n + 3] + 2∂[n + 4] + 4∂[n + 5]

I hope this helps clarify the process for finding the impulse response from a frequency response. Let me know if you have any further questions.

What is the purpose of finding the impulse response of a frequency response?

The impulse response of a frequency response is used to determine the behavior and characteristics of a system. It represents how the system will respond to an input signal that is a single impulse or spike. By finding the impulse response, we can understand the system's sensitivity, stability, and time-domain behavior.

How is the impulse response of a frequency response measured?

The impulse response of a frequency response is typically measured by applying a short-duration pulse or impulse to the system and recording its output. This output is then compared to the input signal to determine the system's response. This process is repeated for various input frequencies to obtain the frequency response.

What information can be obtained from the impulse response of a frequency response?

The impulse response of a frequency response provides valuable information about the system's behavior, including its frequency response, damping, and stability. It can also be used to design filters and equalizers for audio and signal processing applications.

What factors can affect the accuracy of the impulse response measurement?

The accuracy of the impulse response measurement can be affected by various factors, such as external noise, system noise, and nonlinearities in the system. It is important to carefully control and minimize these factors to obtain an accurate measurement of the system's impulse response.

How is the impulse response of a frequency response used in practical applications?

The impulse response of a frequency response is widely used in various fields, including audio and signal processing, control systems, and communication systems. It is used for system identification, equalization, and filtering to improve the performance and stability of these systems.