Troubleshooting Hard Disk Reformatting Issues

In summary: A reformat will not fix the problem. Unfortunately, you will have to take the drive to a computer shop to have it fixed.
UrbanXrisis
I am trying to reformat my hdd when something weird happened. I have a P4 desktop and I wanted to reinstall everything on there. So I booted from the windows CD and it formatted and installed windows XP sp1... when the computer restarted, it said that some file was missing and it wouldn't start and asked me to reinstall the OS. So I did, but this time it wouldn't reformat. I hooked up my hdd though a USB converter into my laptop, and I figured that I could reformat my hdd from my Laptop... the hard drive shows up and when I double click it, I can enter it. But when I try to copy a document on to the HDD, it says

"Cannot create or replace [file name]: Cannot find the specified file. Make sure you specify the correc path and file name."

When I try to change the name of the hdd...

"The volume lable is not valid. Please enter a valid volume lable."

When I hit the reformat button after right clicking on the hdd, it does absolutly nothing. It's as if I never clicked the button.

When I go into properties, it shows that there is 0 free space and 0 used space and that the file system is a RAW.

My question is, how can I reformat my hdd and install a new OS? Will I have to take this to a computer shop to fix?

Computer science news on Phys.org
Put the drive back in the desktop. [I have no experience with HDs via USB.] As opposed to merely reformatting [the partition], did you try to delete the partition, then [re]create the partition, and then format as [I assume] NTFS? The XP install should allow you to do these steps (delete,create,format) before installing.

yes, that's what I did originally, and what I have been doing all along. it allows me to delete it, then create it (RAW), then when it goes to the reformatting, it just stops. I can chose what type I want (quick or normal) but it just stays at 0% done.

Sounds like the drive is dying.

1. Why won't my computer recognize my external hard drive after formatting?

There could be several reasons why your computer is not recognizing your external hard drive after formatting. One possibility is that the formatting was not successful and the hard drive is still in its original file system. Another possibility is that the formatting process has corrupted the file system, making it unreadable. It could also be due to a faulty USB cable or port. Try reformatting the hard drive again, using a different cable or port, or running a disk repair tool to fix any corrupted files.

2. Can I recover data from a accidentally formatted hard drive?

In most cases, it is possible to recover data from an accidentally formatted hard drive. However, the success of data recovery depends on the extent of the formatting and whether the data has been overwritten. If you have not saved any new data on the formatted hard drive, there is a higher chance of recovering your files. You can use data recovery software or seek professional help to retrieve your lost data.

3. How do I know if my hard drive needs to be formatted?

There are a few signs that may indicate your hard drive needs to be formatted. These include frequent crashing or freezing of your computer, unusual error messages, and slow performance. You may also notice that some files or folders have become inaccessible. If you experience any of these issues, it may be time to consider formatting your hard drive.

4. What is the best file system to use when formatting a hard drive?

The best file system to use when formatting a hard drive depends on your specific needs and operating system. For Windows users, NTFS is the most commonly used file system as it supports larger file sizes and has better security features. For Mac users, the default file system is APFS, which is optimized for solid-state drives. If you need compatibility with multiple operating systems, you can choose the exFAT file system.

5. Can I stop the formatting process once it has started?

Yes, you can stop the formatting process once it has started, but it is not recommended. If you interrupt the formatting process, it can result in data loss or a corrupted file system. If you need to stop the formatting, make sure to back up any important data beforehand. It is best to let the formatting process complete to avoid any potential issues.