Accelerating neutrons, production of ultracold neutrons

In summary, neutrons have a magnetic moment and can be accelerated by a magnetic field with a (very!) strong gradient.
emil2
Hi to all,

I have two questions concerning neutrons.
How is it possible to accelerate neutrons? Since they have no charge, it shouldn't be possible by applying an electric field. I read somewhere that it should work by using a magnetic field. Can somebody explain how that is working? I mean, how would one construct a "neutron accelerator"?

The second question deals with ultracold neutrons. When fast neutrons from a nuclear reaction or similar emerge, one has to slow them down. I read that normally, one sends them through liquid deuterium. Why is deuterium chosen? Are there other materials or processes which can yield ultracold neutrons?

I am just starting with nuclear physics so please bear with me and my dumb questions...

Thanks
Emil

Physics news on Phys.org
Thank you ZapperZ,

I learned a lot from the thread you proposed. But one question still remains, the acceleration of neutrons. In the thread it was just said that neutrons that emerge from a nuclear reaction have a certain kinetic energy. Isn't it possible to further increase it? I mean with charged particles you just use an accelerator operating with electric fields. This won't work for neutrons. So how can they be accelerated?

Emil

emil2 said:
Thank you ZapperZ,
I learned a lot from the thread you proposed. But one question still remains, the acceleration of neutrons. In the thread it was just said that neutrons that emerge from a nuclear reaction have a certain kinetic energy. Isn't it possible to further increase it? I mean with charged particles you just use an accelerator operating with electric fields. This won't work for neutrons. So how can they be accelerated?
Emil

You don't! Unless you have some sources that indicate that this has been done?

Zz.

One doesn't accelerate neutrons instead if you want neutrons of different energies you can make them using a spallation source. Take a proton beam and smack it into a neutron rich target and the reaction will create a ton of neutrons+other crap. Using time of flight methods one can do experiments with neutrons of different energy.

Obviously if one is going to slow down neutrons one needs a material where neutron capture isn't significant. But I'm not entirely sure why deterium is the preferred material. But I'm sure Golub's book on ultra cold neutrons could probably tell you.

Steven S said:
One doesn't accelerate neutrons instead if you want neutrons of different energies you can make them using a spallation source. Take a proton beam and smack it into a neutron rich target and the reaction will create a ton of neutrons+other crap. Using time of flight methods one can do experiments with neutrons of different energy.
Obviously if one is going to slow down neutrons one needs a material where neutron capture isn't significant. But I'm not entirely sure why deterium is the preferred material. But I'm sure Golub's book on ultra cold neutrons could probably tell you.

One way to slow down something is to make it collide - but not collide with anything. If a particle collide with another particle of roughly the same mass, this is the most effective means of slowing that first particle. If it collides with something significantly more massive, all that will happen is that it changes momentum without changing its KE.

Thus, water (as in a typical fission reactor) and D are the most effective medium to slow down neutrons, because each of these contains particles (H and D) that has almost the same mass as the neutron.

Zz.

Also, if I'm not mistaken, deuterium has a much smaller absorption cross-section for neutrons than regular hydrogen - it's easier for H to become D than for D to become T (that's why heavy water is preferred to aquafina).

It is theoretically possible to accelerate neutrons. They have a magnetic moment and can be accelerated by a magnetic field with a (very!) strong gradient.

Tide said:
It is theoretically possible to accelerate neutrons. They have a magnetic moment and can be accelerated by a magnetic field with a (very!) strong gradient.

But I think if we want to go to that extreme, I can also say that a neutron (or any elementary particle for that matter) can also be accelerated by a stream of photons - and this isn't too far off since laser acceleration scheme has been shown to work in electron accelerators. However, it is accurate to say that we do not do this, and can't do it, to neutrons with the current technology. There are no neutron accelerators. Injectors, yes, but not accelerators.

Zz.

1. What are accelerating neutrons and why are they important in scientific research?

Accelerating neutrons refer to the process of increasing the kinetic energy of neutrons through collisions with other particles. This is important in scientific research as it allows for the production of ultracold neutrons, which have very low energies and can be used to study fundamental properties of matter and the universe.

2. How are ultracold neutrons produced and what makes them unique?

Ultracold neutrons are produced through a process called neutron moderation, in which high energy neutrons are slowed down and cooled. This is typically done using materials such as liquid helium or solid deuterium. Ultracold neutrons are unique because they have extremely low energies, typically less than 1 milli-electron volt, making them ideal for precision measurements and studies of quantum phenomena.

3. What are some potential applications of ultracold neutrons in scientific research?

Ultracold neutrons have a wide range of potential applications in scientific research. They can be used to study the properties of the neutron, such as its magnetic moment and lifetime. They can also be used for precision measurements of fundamental constants and to search for new particles and interactions. Additionally, ultracold neutrons have potential applications in fields such as nuclear physics, astrophysics, and quantum computing.

4. What challenges are involved in accelerating neutrons and producing ultracold neutrons?

The main challenge in accelerating neutrons is finding materials and techniques that can slow down and cool the neutrons to ultracold temperatures. This often requires specialized equipment and facilities, such as a cold neutron source. Other challenges include controlling the direction and energy of the neutrons, and minimizing interactions with other particles that can affect their properties.

5. How are scientists working to improve the production and use of ultracold neutrons?

Scientists are constantly researching and developing new methods and technologies for producing and using ultracold neutrons. This includes advancements in neutron moderators, better control and manipulation of neutron beams, and the development of new neutron detectors. Additionally, collaborations between different scientific disciplines, such as physics and engineering, are helping to further improve the production and use of ultracold neutrons.