Tonsils took out when i was a kid

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
In summary: A bit of a ghoolish subject, how many of you have been under the knife, i had my tonsils took out when i was a kid, apart from that i have only had bone work done.What sort of experience did you have in hospital ? were the nurses nice ? :devil: and what about the food these days ?Hi Wolram,Don't worry, It's not like the old days. Don't need to check behind the back of the Anaesthesiologists, they are not carrying those big hammers anymore. :approve:
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
A bit of a ghoolish subject, how many of you have been under the knife, i had
my tonsils took out when i was a kid, apart from that i have only had bone work
done.
What sort of experience did you have in hospital ? were the nurses nice ? :devil:
and what about the food these days ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Wolram,
Don't worry, It's not like the old days. Don't need to check behind the back of the Anaesthesiologists, they are not carrying those big hammers anymore. :approve:

Best of luck :smile:

What is your actual ailment, Wolram? I was in hospital once. It was a forgettable experience.

I was in the hospital for over two weeks when I was 13, but they never did any serious surgery or anything.

When I was five or so, I had a bilateral (sp?) hernia... That definitely wasn't fun.

El Hombre Invisible said:
What is your actual ailment, Wolram? I was in hospital once. It was a forgettable experience.

I have pain in my right side, or more like it starts in my back and wends its way
around my side, some times it is like two separate pains, they are not to bad
akin to a nagging tooth ache, i have had tests done for stones they came back negative.
What did you have done, if you don't mind me asking ?

Niode said:
I was in the hospital for over two weeks when I was 13, but they never did any serious surgery or anything.
When I was five or so, I had a bilateral (sp?) hernia... That definitely wasn't fun.

:yuck: i have read about hernias, a bilateral one sounds horrid.

wolram said:
:yuck: i have read about hernias, a bilateral one sounds horrid.

Yeah... they were fixed in a jiffy, though, so it wasn't too serious. It just took a while to recover, considering the fact that I had two hernias at the same time that needed to be fixed. All I remember is being rolled into the operating room on a gourney with my teddy bear. Kinda pitiful, I know.

I had a (benign) tumor on my palate when I was 8. I had two surgeries, about a year apart, the first to remove it and the second reconstructive. It wasn't so bad. I think I was too young to really appreciate the risks. And during my first surgery, I shared a room with a kid who was about my age and had a brain tumor; I could tell he was a lot worse off than I was, so I felt relatively fortunate.

I also had an appendectomy when I was 18. That was horrible, but I survived. Hooray for modern medicine! :smile:

What are you planning on doing, woolie?

honestrosewater said:
I had a (benign) tumor on my palate when I was 8. I had two surgeries, about a year apart, the first to remove it and the second reconstructive. It wasn't so bad. I think I was too young to really appreciate the risks. And during my first surgery, I shared a room with a kid who was about my age and had a brain tumor; I could tell he was a lot worse off than I was, so I felt relatively fortunate.
I also had an appendectomy when I was 18. That was horrible, but I survived. Hooray for modern medicine! :smile:
What are you planning on doing, woolie?

How did you manage to eat? and did the apendix opp leave much of a scar ?

Im a mechanic so i often bypass non functional circuits, and some times machines have bits they can do without, then again some times a clean
up and a good oiling works, how about a live web cam dirrect to PFs, that
will prove we are not made from slugs and snails.:smile:

I had the tonsils out when I was 5 or 6. Don't remember it, except that I got ice cream after, which was a huge treat at the time. It was back when they used a cloth soaked with ether for anaesthetic, and the doctor spilled some so it ran down to the underside of my ears. Had nasty skin disorders in the area for about 10 years after.
Next up were 2 hernia operations about 2 years apart. For the sake of some statistical study, they were done differently. The first one was more unpleasant, partly because it was a day-patient thing and I had to sit in a damned car for 45 minutes on the way home from it. Wearing the seatbelt was no great comfort, and someone else had to open and close the door for me. I honestly can't say if the intensity and duration of pain were less or more than when I had 2 detached ribs, but I don't want to go through it again. (Luckily, there's nothing left to bust in the area.) For the second one I had general anaesthesia rather than local and stayed in the hospital for 3 days. (The local was my choice the first time, because I wanted to watch.)
That was quite a while back, and things have improved a lot since then.
The pain that you described sounds as if you've been eating your own cooking again. Are you sure that surgery is required? :tongue:

Poor old Danger, i am glad i have not had a hernia, and how do ribs become detatched ? is that a product problem ?
And my cooking is up to Gordon blue standards i will have you know, and he
is, "the", top chef :tongue2:

Andre said:
Hi Wolram,
Don't worry, It's not like the old days. Don't need to check behind the back of the Anaesthesiologists, they are not carrying those big hammers anymore. :approve:
Best of luck :smile:

Big hammers will not work on me Andre, if some archaeologist dig me up in years
to come they will call me homonobrainus.:smile:

wolram said:
how do ribs become detatched ?
In the type of accident where one's arms are violently jerked straight backward farther than they're designed to go.

wolram said:
if some archaeologist dig me up in years
to come
Dig up? That implies burial. Have you forgotten that hypatia and I have already made arrangements to have you stuffed? We're putting your head over our mantle and sending your naughty bits to Evo.

Only had surgery once, ever! I had a hernia when I was 5ish.

Danger said:
In the type of accident where one's arms are violently jerked straight backward farther than they're designed to go.
Dig up? That implies burial. Have you forgotten that hypatia and I have already made arrangements to have you stuffed? We're putting your head over our mantle and sending your naughty bits to Evo.
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
I have decided that pain is a fact of life, if anyone can can use my dead bits
for some art they are welcome :yuck: but i know the bits that are alive would
rather be doing some other thing :devil:

wolram said:
the bits that are alive would
rather be doing some other thing :devil:
The bits that are going to Evo probably will be; you just won't be around to enjoy it. :tongue:

wolram said:
How did you manage to eat? and did the apendix opp leave much of a scar ?
I couldn't eat for a day or two. Then I could only eat Jello for a while; everything's good as new now. I have a small scar from the appendectomy, but it's healing nicely. I hope everything turns out okay for you. :smile:

Never had any major surgery. I had my wisdom teeth removed...two of those had to be done surgically, but no big deal...the stitches tugging the gums was more painful than anything else. When I was younger, I had a tiny cyst in my cheek removed. Actually, I was just noticing the other day that the scar is showing pretty clearly...it's only about 0.5 cm long, and I thought it had gone away long ago, but it seems to still be there and very noticeable now...well, if you're staring closely at my cheek anyway. :rolleyes: That was just done with a shot of local anesthetic in a dermatologist's office. It was completely benign, but of course had it removed to be sure of that. The only thing that bothered me is he wouldn't give me a mirror to watch. :rofl:

I've had my left knee re-made after a bad accident when I was 16, which by far, was the worst pain wise.
At 18 they added teflon ligaments to the knee.
Two children born Cesarean Section, which wasen't much fun either.

I've had a toncilectomy. (is that how it's spelled?) I don't know if that really counts

hypatia said:
I've had my left knee re-made after a bad accident when I was 16, which by far, was the worst pain wise.
At 18 they added teflon ligaments to the knee.
Two children born Cesarean Section, which wasen't much fun either.

As a kid i knew where babies came from but not how they came out, i am told
child birth can be agony :grumpy: you ladies must be beggars for punishment.

In the hospital 3 times myself-three healthy births :biggrin:

When I was four I had to have surgery on my ear, then at five I had to have surgery on the other ear. Then at six I had to got the hospital for numunia(sp?). Then at twelve my apendix(sp?) burst over winter break and I had to go to the hospital for a month and have two surgeries, one of the surgeries I was awake and it was very, very painful and it turns out it just made my situation worse and we almost sued the radiologists because of it, and missed two months of school recovering. Then I had a steel bar put in my chest at fifteen for pectus excavatum. Then at eighteen had the bar removed. And that about it.

1. Why are tonsils removed in childhood?

Tonsils are removed in childhood if they are repeatedly infected or enlarged, causing difficulty in breathing or swallowing.

2. What are the risks of removing tonsils in childhood?

The risks of removing tonsils in childhood include bleeding, infection, and adverse reactions to anesthesia. However, these risks are relatively low and can be managed by a trained medical professional.

3. Does removing tonsils affect the immune system?

Removing tonsils does not affect the overall function of the immune system. The tonsils themselves are just one part of the immune system and can be removed without compromising the body's ability to fight infections.

4. Can tonsils grow back after being removed?

In rare cases, tonsils can grow back after being removed. However, this is more likely to occur in children who have had a partial removal or have a rare condition called tonsillar tissue regrowth.

5. Is there an alternative to removing tonsils in childhood?

In some cases, antibiotics or other treatments may be used to manage tonsil infections instead of removing them. However, if the tonsils continue to cause problems, removal may be necessary to improve overall health and quality of life.