Birthdays in the Same Month

• Thread starter e(ho0n3
  • Start date
In summary, the problem is to determine the minimum number of people in a room for the probability that at least two of them celebrate their birthday in the same month to be at least 1/2. Using basic probability principles and the assumption that all monthly outcomes are equally likely, it is determined that the answer is 5.
e(ho0n3
[SOLVED] Birthdays in the Same Month

Homework Statement

How many people have to be in a room in order that the probability that at least two of them celebrate their birthday in the same month is at least 1/2? Assume that all possible monthly outcomes are equally likely.

Homework Equations

Axioms and basic theorems of probability.

The Attempt at a Solution

Let E_n be the event that at least two of n people in a room celebrate their birthday in the same month. I'm basically asked to determine the value of n for which P(E_n) >= 1/2.

It must be easier to calculate the complement of E_n, ~E_n, and from that calculate P(E_n). Note that ~E_n is the event that nobody celebrates their birthday in the same month.

Now, ~E_n is the union of the events that nobody celebrates their birthday in the ith month of the year, which I will call F_i, i = 1 to 12. Since the F_i's are mutually exclusive, P(~E_n) = P(F_1) + ... + P(F_12).

If month j has d days, then P(F_j) = (365 - d)^n / 365^n. For months 1, 3, 5, 7, 8, 10, 12 d = 31, for months 4, 6, 9, 11 d = 30, and for month 2 d = 28 (assuming no leap years).

So P(~E_n) = 7 * 334^n / 365^n + 4 * 335^n / 365^n + 337^n / 365^n.

P(E_n) = 1 - P(~E_n) >= 1/2. I don't know how to determine n analytically, but I did obtain it numerically (using a simple basic program) and got n = 37.

The answer according to the book is 5. I must have done something wrong, but what?

Physics news on Phys.org
Aren't you supposed to assume that monthly outcomes are equally likely? So that you don't have to take february as 28 days and so on.

danni7070 said:
Aren't you supposed to assume that monthly outcomes are equally likely? So that you don't have to take february as 28 days and so on.

Is that what that means? I always overcomplicate. Sigh.

I think this way is much easier:

If there are more than 12 people, then P(E_n) = 1 (by the pigeonhole principle). If there's only one person, then P(E_n) = 0. Thus 1 < n < 13. Assuming the latter, then P(~E_n) = 12 * ... * (12 - n) / 12^n.

Of course, this doesn't make it easier to calculate P(E_n) analytically. Numerically I get that P(E_4) = 0.427083 and P(E_5) = 0.618056 so n = 5. Sweet!

1. How common is it for people to have birthdays in the same month?

The exact frequency of people sharing the same birth month varies depending on the population being studied. However, studies have shown that the probability of two people sharing the same birth month is approximately 1/12 or 8.33%. This means that in a group of 12 people, it is likely that at least two of them will have birthdays in the same month.

2. Is there any significance to having a birthday in the same month as someone else?

There is no inherent significance to having a birthday in the same month as someone else. It is simply a coincidence and does not have any impact on an individual's personality or life experiences.

3. Are people born in the same month more likely to have similar characteristics?

No, there is no scientific evidence to suggest that people born in the same month share similar characteristics. While some people may believe in astrology and its influence on personality traits based on birth month, there is no scientific basis for this belief.

4. Can the month someone is born in affect their health or lifespan?

There is no conclusive evidence that the month a person is born in has any significant impact on their health or lifespan. While some studies have found a correlation between birth month and certain health conditions, these findings are not consistent and do not prove causation.

5. Is it more common for twins to have birthdays in the same month?

Yes, it is more common for twins to have birthdays in the same month since they are typically born within minutes or hours of each other. However, this is not always the case as twins can be born in different months if they are born close to the end or beginning of the month.