Bouncing Ball Position, Velocity and Acceleration Graphs.

In summary, the conversation is about creating graphs for a bouncing ball and questioning the behavior of the acceleration at the point of contact with the ground. It is clarified that even though the velocity may be zero, there is still acceleration due to the change in velocity. The concepts of momentum and kinematics are discussed and it is concluded that the vertical acceleration should have a large positive spike at each bounce.
habibclan
Hi!
I've attempted to draw the position, velocity and acceleration graphs for a bouncing ball. This is the link for it:

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa59/aliatehreem/bouncing_ball.jpg

What I'm wondering is, the instant in which the ball is in contact with the ground, is the acceleration zero, which is why there are circles? Just wanted to confirm that! [as there is no acceleration due to gravity?] Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Even though the velocity is zero at the point it hits the ground the acceleration is not, since the velocity is still changing (from negative to positive). Thus, there has to be an acceleration.

Does it not change from the "momentum" of the collision rather than the acceleration. I just remembered reading in my textbook that a horizontal surface has an angle of 0 therefore the parallel component of acceleration is 0. So the instant that it bounces off from the ground, its a horizontal surface, making the instantaneous acceleration 0? Am i right?

Can someone please help me this! Thanks in advance =)

habibclan said:
Does it not change from the "momentum" of the collision rather than the acceleration. I just remembered reading in my textbook that a horizontal surface has an angle of 0 therefore the parallel component of acceleration is 0. So the instant that it bounces off from the ground, its a horizontal surface, making the instantaneous acceleration 0? Am i right?

No. The ball still has a vertical component of acceleration. While looking at the problem in terms of momentum is correct, it does not mean there is no acceleration. There is still acceleration. The velocity is changing. That is the definition of an acceleration. The momentum picture is one way to look at this situation, but it doesn't mean that is the only way. You can look at this scenario from the point of view of momentum conservation and also from the point of view of kinematics and acceleration. Both are valid here.

G01 said:
No. The ball still has a vertical component of acceleration. While looking at the problem in terms of momentum is correct, it does not mean there is no acceleration. There is still acceleration. The velocity is changing. That is the definition of an acceleration. The momentum picture is one way to look at this situation, but it doesn't mean that is the only way. You can look at this scenario from the point of view of momentum conservation and also from the point of view of kinematics and acceleration. Both are valid here.

If there is acceleration, then there should be no empty circles in the acceleration graph. Why is it that the acceleration is undefined at the point of reflection from the ground [ derivatives of a cusp are undefined].

habibclan said:
If there is acceleration, then there should be no empty circles in the acceleration graph. Why is it that the acceleration is undefined at the point of reflection from the ground [ derivatives of a cusp are undefined].

Hi habibclan! :smile:

The vertical acceleration is minus g while the ball is in the air.

The vertical acceleration is hugely poisitive when the ball is in contact with the ground.

The shorter the ball is in contact with the ground, the larger the vertical acceleration.

Vertical acceleration is change in vertical momentum … so it has to be in the opposite direction to g when the ball bounces, and all the downward momentum that it got during the quite long time in the air has to be reversed in the very short time on the ground.

The graph of the vertical acceleration should really have a huge positive spike at each bounce, not just a tiny little circle!:smile:

tiny-tim said:
Hi habibclan! :smile:

The vertical acceleration is minus g while the ball is in the air.

The vertical acceleration is hugely poisitive when the ball is in contact with the ground.

The shorter the ball is in contact with the ground, the larger the vertical acceleration.

Vertical acceleration is change in vertical momentum … so it has to be in the opposite direction to g when the ball bounces, and all the downward momentum that it got during the quite long time in the air has to be reversed in the very short time on the ground.

The graph of the vertical acceleration should really have a huge positive spike at each bounce, not just a tiny little circle!:smile:

Thank you so much! That makes a lot of sense to me now =).

1. What is the purpose of a bouncing ball position, velocity, and acceleration graph?

The purpose of a bouncing ball position, velocity, and acceleration graph is to visually represent the motion of a bouncing ball over time. It shows how the position, velocity, and acceleration of the ball changes as it bounces up and down.

2. What does the x-axis represent on a bouncing ball position graph?

The x-axis on a bouncing ball position graph represents time. It shows how the position of the ball changes over time as it bounces.

3. How can you determine the velocity of a bouncing ball from its position graph?

The velocity of a bouncing ball can be determined by calculating the slope of the position graph at any given point. The steeper the slope, the greater the velocity of the ball at that point.

4. What do negative values on a bouncing ball velocity graph indicate?

Negative values on a bouncing ball velocity graph indicate that the ball is moving in the opposite direction of the positive values. For example, a negative velocity means the ball is moving downwards.

5. How is acceleration represented on a bouncing ball acceleration graph?

Acceleration is represented by the slope of the velocity graph. A steeper slope indicates a greater acceleration, while a flatter slope indicates a slower acceleration. The direction of the slope also indicates the direction of the acceleration.