Predicting which atoms radiate first in radioavtive materials

In summary: scientists disprove hidden parameters by disproving the predictions they make about hidden parameters.
niggasnopec
I wonder if there is any theoretical knowledge how to predict which atoms will decay first in given radioactive substance? I was asking about this in school and teacher said it is not possible to predict this...i doubt this process is random...
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Your teacher is right. Quantum theory underlies what happens, so there is no way of knowing in advance which atom will decay next.

This is as random as random random can be.

Yeah, but nothing in nature is random...there must be some laws behind that...they are just waiting to be discovered. It wonders me no one tried predicting this in theory.

niggasnopec said:
Yeah, but nothing in nature is random...there must be some laws behind that...they are just waiting to be discovered. It wonders me no one tried predicting this in theory.

Actually a lot of things in nature are random. Sure, one day we may find there is some hidden, deeper structure responsible for non-randomness af the randomness that we see, but so far there is no reason to assume such thing exists. We have about 100 years of tests confirming randomness of the quantum world.

And you are not the first one to think this can't be true. This is an old discussion, google "God does not play dice".

I know, but if you can describe it with mathematics and have all parameters you can predict it...maybe just parameters are so "weird". Kinda like it was with motion of planets until they simplified it...
Anyway thanks for replying

Ah, the quest for hidden parameters. We've been there, we tried it, we failed.

Maybe someday...I must say I don't have much knowledge of physics, just in last grade of high school, although I am taking final exams in physics. Highscool physics is just not interessing as it may be...

niggasnopec said:
Maybe someday...I must say I don't have much knowledge of physics, just in last grade of high school, although I am taking final exams in physics. Highscool physics is just not interessing as it may be...

you have the same prejudice as Einstein: "God does not play dice"

maybe it would be useful for you to study the birth of Quantum physics?

I said maybe...maybe not.

Borek said:
Ah, the quest for hidden parameters. We've been there, we tried it, we failed.

How exactly have we failed?
How can scientists disprove hidden parameters?

We failed to find them. Doesn't mean they don't exist, I have stated it earlier - but so far there is no reason to believe they do exist.

1. How can we predict which atoms will radiate first in radioactive materials?

The prediction of which atoms will radiate first in radioactive materials is based on their half-life, which is the amount of time it takes for half of the atoms in a sample to decay. Atoms with a shorter half-life will radiate first, followed by atoms with a longer half-life.

2. What factors influence which atoms will radiate first in radioactive materials?

The main factor that influences which atoms will radiate first is the stability of the nucleus. Atoms with unstable nuclei are more likely to decay and radiate first. Other factors such as temperature, pressure, and external forces can also affect the rate of decay.

3. Can we accurately predict the exact order in which atoms will radiate in radioactive materials?

No, it is not possible to accurately predict the exact order in which atoms will radiate in radioactive materials. The decay of atoms is a random process and while we can make predictions based on half-life and other factors, the actual order of decay cannot be determined with certainty.

4. Is there a way to speed up or slow down the rate of decay in radioactive materials?

The rate of decay in radioactive materials is determined by the half-life of the atoms, which cannot be changed. However, external factors such as temperature and pressure can affect the rate of decay. For example, higher temperatures can increase the rate of decay while lower temperatures can slow it down.

5. How is the prediction of which atoms will radiate first in radioactive materials useful?

The prediction of which atoms will radiate first in radioactive materials is useful in many applications, such as determining the safety of nuclear power plants and monitoring the decay of radioactive waste. It also helps scientists understand the behavior of atoms and the principles of radioactivity.